View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
The New England coast
scrimshaw
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/08 - 5:15 AM

Comments: 0

During the last four weeks we logged 1500 miles on the trailer and passed over 700 miles beneath the keel.
This spring I joined Sea Tow not for the towing(its a comfort) but for the information available via it's operators. As an area was identified to explore an e-mail went off to that areas operator this follows with a phone call from the Captian offering advise and local secrets. we were able to find ramps that were hidden to others and got info that would be difficult to gain in a day.
Mystic,Ct. was first visited,we launched behind a Tackle shop.the only person there that entire day ! The ramp was yards away from the heart of Mystic we toured the inner Harbor and then ventured off and around Fisher's island,simply a wonderful day and on the list to revisit.
Next off to Buzzards Bay, again with Sea Tow input we launched on a private ramp,explored the area traversed the Cape Cod Canal the area is stunning from the water.
P-town on Cape Cod was next...private ramp again,a phone call from Sea-Tow provided me with GPS info and the VHF channel used by the Whale watch boats. With this info and an inviting marine report we ventured to Stallwagen Bank Marine Sanctury. Here we found huge schools of Sandlances with all the Stripers you arms could tolerate,big fish to 45Lbs. Armed with the secret info Humpbacks were easily found.
Portsmouth,New Hampshire. Here is a working Port, busy with shipping,a current of 12 knots that doesn't seem to ever stop ! With this current the ramps are tricky. I spent days here,alot to see and do.It was here that Whalers were abundant...one of every three boats,the classics everywhere including two Ribbed Outrages one belonging to the University of N.H. and the other at a mooring ball in original condition. Exiting the Piscat. River finds you in open ocean and we were greeted with gentle swells allowing for long coastal trips. Whales were found here not far offshore just off the Isle of Shoals. The entire area is stunning and a place I could easily live. One day while in the river seals were spotted and the kids were in awe.
The Casco Bay,in the wonderful state of Maine absolutely Beautiful ! This place would take a year of daily boating just to start to get a handle on. we were met here by Phil T. and given a tour that was just plain terrific, again a Whaler paradise with an abundance of every type ever made everywhere. (Phil I just can't understand why your gatherings don't see the masses.)
Lake Winnapausapee,N.H.,pretty place.....lots of go fast boats and it seemed that anyway I pointed the bow 10 boats were coming right at me ! A quick tour of the perimeter was completed and I have no plans to return.
I'm home now the boat back in it's slip,the adventures are now limited to the Long Island Sound....till next year. The attached photo was taken at the Prescott Isle ramp in Portsmouth,N.H. and pretty much sums up the journey as it was truely a rainbow event !

scrimshaw attached the following image:

[59.1Kb]
Edited by scrimshaw on 08/20/08 - 8:17 AM

howard Werner
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/08 - 7:48 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

awesome trip.

I am really interested in the tip of calling Sea Tow for the super secret launch ramps. I will look into that for sure.

If you find yourself back in Mystic I would drive down from Charlestown, RI.....

Where exactly is that launch ramp in Mystic?

Howard

scrimshaw
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/08 - 8:27 AM

Wild Bill's Bait and Tackle $7 you 'll have it all to yourself,just around the corner is the Mystic River. Howard,use this to gather inside info

Edited by scrimshaw on 08/19/08 - 8:44 AM

duf
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/08 - 4:08 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

You truly made me homesick Jim. Sounds like a spectacular trip, as i'm sure it was. Looks like i'm going to be home the week of Thanksgiving. I will surely give you a call.

Duf Cool

ritzyrags
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/08 - 9:09 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

It sure looks that You and the kids had a very nice time away from home.
I think that your diverse boat excursion planning is most certainly above average.
You would have a bonanza here as there is countless Islands and inlets to explore.
If you have the time Google, Desolation Sound sometimes.

Serge.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

scrimshaw
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/08 - 10:48 AM

Serge,the boats now sits idle for the winter,GPS shows 3206 miles past beneath the keel for the season with 277 hours of engine time this year. According to the numbers we were slightly off this year as 2007 saw 283 hours.We may venture to the Florida Keys this winter as the crew has expressed an interest in combining alittle boating with a trip to Disney. One must pay mind to the needs of the crew !

Edited by scrimshaw on 11/20/08 - 10:50 AM

CES
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/08 - 10:55 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

I lived in the Florida keys for six years during the late 80's and early 90's. If you do make the trip, some serious photographic journelling would be greatly appreciated.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

arthureld
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/08 - 4:37 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Great stories Jim. Grin
I visited Mystic a couple years ago..
Very nice town.

John Stall
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/09 - 3:42 PM

Comments: 1

What a terriffic picture !

scrimshaw
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/09 - 4:35 PM

Thanks, hard to believe that all that will start up again in less than 3 months ! The winter has been long and hard.

Eri
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 7:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I am going to York Beach Maine next week for the week. I was gonna bring the whaler this year but my little guys are only 7 and 5. My 5 year old is a little wave afraid. How are the swells along the coast? Did you do any fishing? How far offshore were the whales? I have been going up there for 45 years and always wanted to get a boat out up there.

scrimshaw
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 8:07 AM

Eri,I intended to be on the Piscat. River these last 2 days but the weather had other plans. Watch the marine forecast carefully and you'll be fine. I checked with the Whale boats earlier this week and the reports find whales 1-2 miles off Hampton Beaches for the last week. The Isle of Shoals is easily within your reach and is currently surrounded by Mackeral reportedly the thickest in years.

Phil T
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 9:07 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Eri -

York is 30 minutes south of me (by car). As Jim suggests, watch the forecast and check conditions when you exit the harbor. Love the ripping current there!

I travelled down to Kittery and launched to meet up with a whaler owner in York. While the forecast was good, as soon as I got out of the Piscat River and turned north, it was BAD! Nasty breaking 3' out of the NE. If the winds are out of the South or West, that's better.

Eri
#14 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 12:48 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Guys

tkhvdh
#15 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 8:02 PM

Comments: 20

scrimshaw wrote:
Serge,the boats now sits idle for the winter,GPS shows 3206 miles past beneath the keel for the season with 277 hours of engine time this year. According to the numbers we were slightly off this year as 2007 saw 283 hours.We may venture to the Florida Keys this winter as the crew has expressed an interest in combining alittle boating with a trip to Disney. One must pay mind to the needs of the crew !

Did you ever get a chance to upload some pics to your album. This New England trip sounds great.

Also if you get to Disney Area with your boat try to see the Dora Canal in Lake County, less than an hour from Disney. Boat ramp at Lake Eustis Park in Tavares on US 441.

You will think you are on a real live Tarzan movie.

MW
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08/14/09 - 12:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I got a visit 1 day from a white 10' "Baluga" Whale in the state "CHANNEL". I remember my beer can hitting the floor as I spotted it as it surfaced next to us, I turned to the guy next to me who's eye's were the size of dinner plates, and we both swore not to tell anyone about it. It was "COOL", and just a bit frightening too (unexpected). That's one of the reason's why I LOVE the ocean, thing's show up in places that they are "NOT" suppossed to be !

Matt

Eri
#17 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/09 - 6:31 AM
Personal Page

Well I should have brought the Whaler up to Maine last week as the weather was perfect in the York area. Next Year for sure.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 2:07 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,507,897 unique visits