View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Advice on Disposition of '84 90hp Yamaha
wjsherid
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/08 - 9:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

For those that my read my earlier post on New Boat, Sad Story....you'll know that on my third day out on my new to me 84 Montauk, the bottom cylinder of my 84 Oil Injected Yamaha failed.

After much deliberation, I decided to repower the old girl with a new out of the crate Yamaha 90hp 2 Stroke.

Prior to having the failure, I had the whole boat redone (I will update my profile once I pick it up this weekend from the marina that is repowering). This included having the Engine Cowling Painted and New Factory Decals (~200 to Paint + $80 for the decals)

The engine "looked" brand new after I had this done, but now requires a New Powerhead. I am willing to break it out for parts, especially cause the cowling is brand spanking new or do I sell it as a "Parts" engine

So...that being said, what would be fair asking price? I am not aware of any other "newer" parts on her as it is new to me.

Thanks for the Advice.

joninnj
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/08 - 4:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Hi WJS,

Most unfortunate...Sad I have a Yamie as well but younger... Over the years I have purchased many parts on ebay. Typically I have seen parts sell for the following listed below. All must be in good working order. Some parts will sell lower depending when you sell... Now is the time... another few weeks then I would wait till next year or sell the whole thing in one shot...

During the off season, I purchased a working trim for $50, leaked but worked, all I wanted was the motor. BTW if the Cowls is as nice as you say i would be interested. I may custom paint mine with completely different graphics, would need a replacement.

Power Trim $250 +/-
Starter $50 +/-
Lower Unit $300
CDI $50
Carbs $50 +/-
elec'l parts/harness $25
Mutil Function Guage $100
usable Block(rebore) $100
Cowl $50+
Misc Parts $75
Good SS prop $100 +/-

Unit as a whole $750 +/-

I have also seen great deals on new Yamie 2 stokes, Boats.net sell these for about $6K http://www.boats.net/motors/Yamaha/90...parts.html

Good luck

Edited by joninnj on 08/07/08 - 5:51 AM
Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/08 - 3:57 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I had seen a Suzuki DT 150 for sale on E-bay last year, whole motor or parts. The prices were just about the same as what Jon stated in his post. Apparently he never sold the motor whole, and he took it apart. The sum of the parts adds up to a significant amount. If you have the ability to take it apart, thats the way to go. The add ran for months on E-bay, and each week he would state what was left. I wonder how much it cost for this type of listing?
rich

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 9:50 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,513,098 unique visits