View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New Boat, Sad Story...Sympathy or Help Desired
wjsherid
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 12:34 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

So here is my sad story....Bought an 84 Montauk with 84 Oil Injected Yamaha Labor Day Weekend. This was my first boat I have purchased ever (Grew up on boats as a kid) and was ecstatic...had everything redone including the all the wood stripped and then 8 coats of Varnish, new Stern Seat from Anderson Mfg, New Bow Cushion....
Finally got it into the water while on Vacation last week. Second day out, changed fuel tanks and wham...while running down the lake the engine quit. Come to find out, there was water in the fuel and it caused an explosion in the lower cylinder (Tech said there is a hole in the piston about the diameter of my pinky finger).

He said basically requires a new Powerhead, given I just dumped a ton of money into buying and restoring my new found love....I can't say that I have the means for the repairs. That being said, I am looking for a Used Yamaha 90 Hp two stroke that I could swap out and use the same controls, etc.

Anyone with ideas on where to locate one or if you have one, please do let me know

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 12:42 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

wjsherid,

Sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately that can happen to any engine at any time. It's just the way it is.

Look on the brighter side, your boat is all dressed up and ready to go, just can't go anyplace at this time.

Derwd24
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 12:57 PM

Comments: 9

I'd check your local Craig's list first, and also your local marine shops as they take those engines in trade all the time on repower. Between one of them you should be able to find something, and remember it's a buyers market at the moment which puts things in your favor...

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

CES
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 12:59 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

wjsherid,

Contact Northland Performance out of Keewatin MN. They have a ton of used parts that were used in COLD fresh water (hence practically corrosion free). Mostly from the great lakes area and Canada. They helped me out in a binde and couldn't be a nicer bunch of fellas.

Here's the information I have for them.

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/northlandperformance/

I dealt with a guy named Pete.

218-778-6166

Good luck!!

Cliff

Edited by CES on 07/22/08 - 4:30 PM
Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 2:17 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

If it makes you feel any better "We've all been there", it's very disheartening to have that happen at any time but, especially when you get your 1st boat. First thing to remember is that "Anything can be fixed", you might want to hunt around for a mechanic that does side work, with this economy, there are plenty, you can save some money by having the mechanic remove the power head, then you take it to the shop to get bored out, and new piston's and ring's, he can re-assemble (this will save "some" money). You may want to try what "CES" suggested, he found a way around it, and he's right, there are plenty of used outboard's out there now. I don't think you would get much more use out of a 25 year old outboard engine, so you would have been looking to re-power in the near future anyway, keep checking w/ dealer's for a trade in too. Do your H.W., keep checking around, and asking around, you'll find what you are looking for if you're persistent on the hunt (ya found a "Whaler" didn't you), Boating has taught me one thing... if you are easily disapponted then you are in the wrong hobby, we all have had a boating problem that has knocked us out for the remainder of the season ( I lost the 1st half of this season), your boat will be in much "BETTER" shape next year..."NEVER GIVE UP THE SHIP" ! A sad story would be if someone got hurt, or loss of life, you're still breathing, and you still have the "Whaler", so ya doin "O.K."
mw

ioptfm
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 5:58 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Sorry about your misfortune, especially after you waited all that time for it to be restored. If you are shopping around for a used motor or a rebuilt powerhead, make sure you post the source on this site before you make your final purchase. There are some go sources out there, but also a lot of low life crooks that will slap a coat of paint on an old motor, offer you an almost invisible warranty and then tell you it's like new. Just be careful......................Speaking from experience and a costly lesson

Edited by ioptfm on 07/22/08 - 5:59 PM
Tom
1979 Sport 15'

John Fyke
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 6:02 PM
Personal Page

It would be nice to find a motor in that area (fresh water use). I'm from Chicago and have some contacts there, I will keep a look out for you.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Jeff
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 6:26 PM

Comments: 34

I fell your pain. After I bought my 22 Outrage in 04 I ended up having to rebuild my floor that winter. Since everything was derigged I also rewired the boat stem to stern as well as the primary leads into the motor. I also added a sump for the fuel tank cavity, as well as a lot of other items. After a couple hunderd hours of labor, thousands of dollars, and lots of cleaning, detailing, and polishing after the reassembly process I relaunched the boat. After the second use I blew a head gasket which lead an over headed cylinder and a dead motor. So I was in for the purchase of the boat plus all of the other misc items that have to go along with owning the boat. I also had all of the time into the repairs along with the cost of doing the repairs and now I had a dead motor.

While faced with even more exploding cost overruns I knew I could not just get rid of the as is nor did I want to. I had not even enjoyed her. So I waited to the up coming winter when I had the motor rebuilt and put back into service. After that I got 2 great years of use out of her. While I sold her in the fall of last year I was still able to walk away from the boat even or, maybe ahead of it all.

I may look for an entire motor to rig onto the boat. While I often believe in rebuilding what you have because, the devil you know is better than the one you do'nt, the damage that your cylinder may have suffered could lead to problems for a rebuild. Since you are in the Chicago area I would recommend my Mechanic here in Detroit. www.Lockemans.com Ask for Dave Zammitt ,the owner and let him know I sent Jeff Rohlfing. He always has lots of great used OMC motors that are completely gone through and repaired where and if needed. He offers a 90 day warranty on all of the motors he sells and rigs. He is hands down the best and most honest service provider for any type of vehicle I have ever dealt with. He and his employees also provide outstanding knowledge and skill in working on these motors. There is a reason he is the oldest sales and service OMC / BRP dealer in North America if not the world. There is also a reason why some members here who live in Chicago and the west side of Michigan travel hundred of miles to his shop to have service performed. That says a lot.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

CES
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 4:46 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Any luck with getting your parts?

Cliff

dmrose
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 6:06 PM

My worst Whaler fear....

I plucked a guy out of Puget Sound last week that rolled his new sailboat (literally his first day out on a new boat) over and dug the mast head into the mud. He couldn't get it upright so I dropped him at the Marina. Not a good day for him either....

D

wjsherid
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 6:50 PM
Personal Page

So if anything came out of this that was positive, was that my insurance company called and approved the claim...WHOOHOO....So the repair estimate was $3750 and they agreed to cut me a check for $3500... I was shocked to say the least.

So that said, the question is do I throw good money after a 24 year old motor. My thought is no...I found a yamaha dealer down near St. Louis that agreed to sell me a new in the crate 2007 Yamaha Two Stroke for <6K. I can get it LTL freighted up to Michigan where the boat is for $200...I've been told at most I may need to change the Throttle cables (~140) So bottom line, I can refit this boat for $2500 cost to me....

Now comes the next dilema....do I stretch to do a 4 Stroke. All the articles/posts I've seen is that the Hull can hold the extra #120lbs of a four stroke vs. a two stroke, but the cost difference from what I can tell will be another 1700 to 2K

(I guess I could have worse problems at this stage)

John Fyke
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 6:53 PM
Personal Page

Reef the old motor. Maybe you can ebay the mid-section and lower unit.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It

Jeff
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 7:08 PM

Where in Michigan is the boat right now? I bet you could find a dealer locally that could get you the same deal. Then you do not have to deal with shipping and you will be dealing with the dealer that sold you the motor. This will be a big plus when you have any problems or concerns about the motor you just rigged. No dealer likes working on something you bought from someone else. Kid of a slap in the face especially if you did not even give them a chance to get you the same deal.

There is a great Yamaha dealer in Holland. My guy here in Detroit has a zero hours floor demo 115 ETec for $7000. That is the way I would go. I would not look at four strokes if an E-Tec is an option for you. Just as clean, quite, and easy on fuel as a four stoke but, you get better torque output than a four stoke and it is lighter. The extra torque is always nice to have on tap for planing, towing people, or just accelerating when needed.

Edited by Jeff on 07/23/08 - 8:17 PM

CES
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 7:57 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

protek9543 wrote:
Reef the old motor. Maybe you can ebay the mid-section and lower unit.

There's always someone out there willing to repair thier 24 year old motor. You may even be able to sell the bad power head too. All in all, once you part out and sell your old Yami, you may not be out the entire $2500 for that new motor after
all.

Jeff is right, it is a buyers market out there. If you can get a good deal like you did from a distant seller, you surely can get the same deal locally.....and save the $200 in shipping. Remember, patience is a virtue. Be patient and don't make a hasty decision just so you can get out on the water a few days sooner. You could save a ton of $$ just by waiting a little while longer until the perfect deal comes in.

Good luck!

Cliff

Cliff

Derwd24
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 8:07 PM

Comments: 9

We're currently having our Outrage repowered with an Etec, and like Jeff says, if that's an option take it as it's lighter than a 4 stroke but just as clean and economical.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Jeff
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 8:21 PM

BTW if you are in the Holland / St Joe area of Michigan let me know. I have a friend in the Holland area that just had Lockemans rig his late 70's Montauk with a 115 E-Tec. It is a strong boat and a great performer. I am sure Matt would be happy to talk about his motor and maybe even get you on the water if you wanted (depending on his schedule).

Edited by Jeff on 07/23/08 - 8:22 PM

whalersal
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/08 - 3:25 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Well these guys offered you better help. Alls I was gonna do is offer you sympathy and tell you a duck joke.

Cool

John Fyke
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/08 - 4:50 AM
Personal Page

Definitely shop around.

Edited by John Fyke on 07/24/08 - 4:53 AM
John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 9:08 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,512,613 unique visits