View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rear Bench Seat vs. Drain Plug
altemplet
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/06 - 11:47 AM

Comments: 0

I would like to install a custom made rear bench seat, in my 86' Outrage 18'.
I would like to incorporate some 6x9 speakers, so the seat base would be about 3" over the floor deck.
Question - How would I access the starboard drain plug?
Does the factory rear seat allow easy access to the rear drain plug?
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Al

south_channel
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/06 - 12:49 PM

altemplet,

I just purchased a 1989 Revenge 20-foot with a rear bench seat and am considering a similar speaker project. My current bench seat is mounted to the boat floor with small screws and to a support bracket that is about 8 inches over the front of the splashwell. I have not yet done the project, but my thinking is that I would mount the seat on hinges that would pivot it forward. I'd be curious what you come up with.

altemplet
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/06 - 2:13 PM

Yes, I was thinking of making a basic retangular box, 10" high, 68" wide, and 14-15" deep. The 6x9 speakers would be mounted on the outer areas facing forward. The speakers would have their own enclosures inside, for both sound quality and protection from gear. The middle section would be left open for additional storage.
The seat top would be hinged from the rear, allowing easy access from the front. The rear back support would also be hinged, with special boat seat hinges, allowing it to fold forward all the way flat. This should allow me to use the back of the seat, as a step towards the stern, or I may cover it with starboard material and uses it as a large table or bait prep area. The seat bottom and back will have 2-3" foam and covered with matching ribbed vinyl.
But again, I am concerned about access to the drain plug, because the bottom of the seat will be about 3-4 inches off the floor.
I don't mind the factory seat (although I have not found one) but I don't believe they fold down, therefore, it would seem to me to be difficult to board the boat from the stern ladder, and then have to climb over the rear seat.
Any thoughts?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 9:26 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhturner
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,111
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,563,288 unique visits