View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Proper Fuel Mix
MW
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/08 - 4:55 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

'04 Johnson 50 H.P non-vro 50:1

to each gallon of fuel I add

2.8 oz. TC-3 oil
1 oz. Sea Foam
1/8th of an oz. Carbon Guard (1 oz. treat's 8 gallon's of fuel).

I've alway's added the oil and carbon guard, is this the correct amount of "Sea Foam" ?
I made up 2 gallon's of "Pre-mix" with the above recipe (2 gal's is what I usually burn on avg. and the amt. that I usually top off the 6 gal. tank with).

Just want to "DOUBLE CHECK", as I have NOT added it to the tank yet, I don't want to make "Toast", out of my engine.
Thank's !

joninnj
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/08 - 5:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I would not use both together, only one or the other. I think the seafoam instructions on the can said it can treat up to 28 gallons...

I have used this in very high concentrations whole can in 4 gal or most of the can in 3 gal remote tank and burned off all of the fuel. I would never use another product at the same time, very bad.... Shock

I have had a tank of gas turn to jello due to mixing to several product trying to remove water. It turn out to be giant hassle....Sad

Edited by joninnj on 07/20/08 - 5:14 PM
Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/08 - 5:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I`m sure your cocktail won`t hurt anything but your wallet. I would just use the correct amount of TCW-3 approved outboard oil added in the correct proportion in your gas. If I had a large built in fuel tank, I might throw some stabilizer in unless I could afford to burn a whole tank of gas in short order.

joninnj
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/08 - 6:42 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

SeaFoam already has stabilizer and moisture removal additives in it... Of course you need the oil for 2 strokes...Cool

Edited by joninnj on 07/20/08 - 6:43 PM
Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/08 - 3:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

O.K, ME LOST ! I asked my Evinrude dealer last year about the "Carbon Guard", he said that due to poor fuel quality ( yes, today's fuel is crummy everywhere ) and the fact that ethanol (attract's water) is now added, they heavily suggest using "Carbon Guard". I asked was it just a waste of money, or does it really help, he took me to the back yard and showed me that he had a line of boat's with fuel problem's. I had an Evinrude 48 spl, it ate a ring about 8 years ago, we re-built it, I kept the old chewed piston on my desk at work, a guy from another dept. who fixes outboard's walked by, he picked up the old piston, looked at it and said to me "OMC". I asked him "How did you know that", he said because, they are known to eat a ring because, of "Carbon Build up", he said there's a clip that grab's the ring when it get's too much carbon on it, I said that I thought I may have forgotten to add the oil, he said "No, then the piston would have been scored blue in color".
I was at a "Yammi" dealer w/ my friend, we were working on his water pump, we started arguing about "Carbon Guard", my friend said that "Yammi" does'nt even make it, or suggest it, the part's guy said "YES WE DO", it's called "RING FREE", and your friend is right", did'nt the salesman tell you to add this" ? I said "NO, he bought a "Package Deal" at XYZ marine. I had read many good thing's about "Sea Foam", I'm not big on additives but, it's clear that some are needed with today's lousy fuel, I guess I'll just leave the 2 gallon's for the lawn mower, unless our panel feel's that 2 oz. of "Sea Foam" added to 6 gallon of pre-mix and carbon guard is o.k...It's Better to blow up a $200 Sears Lawn Mower, than my outboard, It's frustrating because, I can't find any info. on adding "Sea Foam" and other fuel additives, I think I'm going to do what "Jon" said, and just NOT add it, thank's for the reply's.
mw

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 12:52 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,515,098 unique visits