View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Sea Foam use
MW
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 2:09 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I've heard a lot about "Sea Foam" (all good thing's), I would like to try it, should I continue to add the "Carbon Guard" fuel conditioner to the fuel tank with the "Sea Foam" or does the "Sea Foam" eliminate the need for adding the "Carbon Guard" ?

Thank's
mw

joninnj
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 3:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Hey MW,

I am not sure what carbon guard is but Seafoam also cleans the system including carbs. It is not simply a carbon removal product. It's available at most auto supple shops. I use it periodically during the season (mixed with the fuel) with a high concentration blast in a small tank at the start. Seems to work well for me.

the best

Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 3:47 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Will it work on fuel injected engines also? How would you use it other than adding it to the fuel? I have always used it with good results on carburated engines by running it through the carbs.

rich

jb4146
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 10:00 AM
Personal Page

Not to hijack the thread here, but MW mentioned Carbon Guard, which I use also. Just had my carbs rebuilt, and the mechanic at the shop advised that Carbon Guard use isn't necesary for pre-mix if you are using Evinrude/Johnson "XD30" oil. Supposedly this oil has Carbon Guard in it, and the previous "XD20" didn't, although I've not yet confirmed that.

Back to Sea Foam, I'm a little confused also as its many supporters have described it doing a lot of good things, being used at least 3 different ways. I've not read anywhere that inhibiting carbon buildup is one of those functions, which I believe is Bombardier's "Carbon Guard" function. I've read of Seafoam use these ways:
Spray into carb throats: carburetor cleaning/varnich remover and engine decarboning
Spray directly into top of cylinders and soak: piston/cylinder/ring decarboning
Fuel Treatment: decarboning and maybe also carburetor cleaning? Either strong concentration for cleaning or more diluted for regular use.

Seems like all the OEMs have their own assortment of recommended specific somewhat comparable concoctions. For Evinrude/Johnson, aside from Carbon Guard, their other product is Engine Tuner (decarb via spray into carbs and/or soak in cylinders). They also have "2+2" fuel conditioner, which I assume is similar to Stabil. I am unaware of a Bombardier product for in-place carburetor cleaning.

I also wonder as others have how well or not multi-part cocktails of these additives work together in a given tank.

joninnj
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 3:04 PM
Personal Page

All,

I would not use other additives in addition to this. You never how they would interact.

Rich, this is good for 4 strokes and fuel injectors

see the link

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTune...echGas.htm

Jon in NJ

Binkie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 3:29 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the info Jon. I printed it for future reference. This engine is brand new never been started yet. I wonder if the have a port to inject the Seafoam. I can`t even find the spark plugs.LOL Probably easier to dump it in a small amount of gas every once in a while.

rich

joninnj
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 3:33 PM
Personal Page

Rich then you a lucky man who has no use for this... yet.....Grin

I would add to the fuel... Good luck on the engine... BTW I sure did like the old Evenrude twin you had.

jon

Jon in NJ

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 8:58 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,277,708 unique visits