View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
40hp Big Twin flooding and coil problem
chrepp
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/08 - 5:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I am having trouble with my Evinrude. After it warms up it floods. There is a hole above and on the right side of the choke(between and slightly below the low and high speed adjusting nobs) that just pours out gas and floods the engine. Is it my fuel pump, my carb or the leaf valves? I took apart the carb. The float, needle and everything looked almost new. No rings around the needles and the float was set correctly. I will disconnect the gas line when it is happening and it will continue to pour out(while I try to start it, not before I start cranking) until there is no fuel left in the line before the carb. When it stops pouring out it starts to run again. I am also having a little trouble with the coil ground wires. They are so close to the flywheel that I had one rub off the plastic and short out on the flywheel. Any tips? I put some electrical tape on the wire to hold it against the coil.

msimon
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/08 - 11:00 PM

Comments: 0

Fuel coming out of that port usually means the needle and float are not seating properly and stopping the flow of fuel once the bowl is full. With the bowl off the carb and the float still attached, hold it upside down. The float should be level or slightly high. Make sure the needle and seat don't have a slight groove. You can also check this by attaching the carb to the fuel line (with the bowl still removed) and priming the bulb while holding the float up. If it continues to leak the needle and seat need replacing.
Is it a '68 40 hp? The coils on the '68 are located under the flywheel.

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 3:38 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

You probably have to re-route that coil wire,to make sure it does not rub on the flywheel as it turns.
rich

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 12:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,514,656 unique visits