View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Steering hub cables on 13'
cbeale
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 12:34 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 1964 13' classic. The steering cable came undone from the hub. Anyone know how to "wrap it"?

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 12:41 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

cbeale,

Welcome aboard WhalerCentral.

See this post on how the cable is wrapped:
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...#post_9256

cbeale
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 2:36 PM

Great picture. That helps. HOWEVER, I'm assuming you have to remove the hub to wrap the cable, right? Otherwise, the column gets in the way. If so, NOW I'm trying to remove the hub, but I don't see how you can get to the nut, which is located inside the hub.

Very frustrated.

Binkie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 2:45 PM
Personal Page

This may help:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c19...inghub.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c19...hookup.jpg

richWink

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 2:51 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Hey Binkie,

Can I post those photos in the article here?
http://www.whalercentral.com/readarti...icle_id=81

cbeale
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 3:27 PM

The pictures are great, but I still need to know, Do I need to remove the hub to wrap the cable? If so, How do I do that?

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 4:19 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I have never wrapped the hub but from looking at the photos it clearly does NOT look like you have to remove anything.

Do you have a hub?
Do you have a cable?
Did you take yours apart?

cbeale
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 6:05 PM

Yes, I have the hub and the cables. My cable came unwrapped from the hub and I am simply trying to re-wrap it. Based on the pictures, though, I can't see how you can wrap the hub without taking it off because the steering column would be in the way.

I can't get the hub off because I can't unscrew the nut that is up in the hub. Friggin' ridiculous design.

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/08 - 6:52 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

cbeale,

Think about this.
If it came unwrapped without taking it apart, then you should be able to wrap it back again without taking it apart.

You may have to take the back end apart but I am not positive as I have never done this.
I had a 13' for 13 years and I remember once that one of the wraps slipped. All I had to do was pull the slack out of the spring and get the wrap back in the slot.

Binkie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/08 - 5:46 PM
Personal Page

Its really not to difficult to wrap the cable. The spool has a slot in it. Find the center of the cable and fold it in half and stick the folded part in the slot. You want to wrap the part of the spool closest to the dash first. Hold the cable underneath the spool in the center, and turn the wheel clockwise three times. The top of the spool is now wrapped. Take some masking tape and wrap it around the wrapped part of the spool. This will keep the cable from coming unwrapped. now to finish, hold the wheel still and wrap the cable clockwise from the end of spool to the middle of spool. It should look like picture number two, One line on top one line on bottom. Now wrap masking tape around rest of spool to keep it from unspooling. Now you can run your cables through The pulleys. If you are unsure what goes where, just pull the cable slightly and see which way the steering wheel will turn. DON`T do it backwards, It would be hard to get used to. LOL If you want to upgrade your pulleys, check this site. Click on steering systems. Pricey, but top of line race boat hardware. Some misinformed folks believe that pulley and cable steering is unsafe. In fact it is the only type of steering system allowed on outboard powered race boats, some with speeds of over 100mph. It can be inspected for safety, and the steering is much more controlled, no play at all.

http://www.btmco.com/Steering_Systems...stems.html

rich

BAY2SAV
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/08 - 6:07 PM
Personal Page

cbeale,

Are you trying to rewind the hub with the cables still attached to the engine? This would certainly make it difficult to try to rewind. It's easiest (a relative term) to disconnect the cables from the engine and then start from the beginning like Binkie outlined and then rethread the cables through the pulleys to the engine.

When I did mine, I could not get the hub off the shaft so I removed the steering wheel and the tapped in the pins on the shaft to remove shaft and hub from below. Just reversed the process once I got the hub rewound.

Also, keep in mind that when you rewind the hub, you must account for the different lenghts of the cables to pulleys and engine.

Be patient and we can walk you through it.....it's almost a "right of passage" for 13' Sport owners.

Denny
1972 13' Sport
Smirked Hull and Blue Interior
Nissan 25hp 4-stroke

Binkie
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/08 - 7:32 PM
Personal Page

Probably the 13 foot Whaler, and maybe some 15 footers are the only pleasure boats still around that still use cable and pulley steering. Anyone have this type of steering on their side console 17 footer? I think the center console is what ended its use. Last week, I stopped by my local Suzuki dealer, to get a price on a 25 Suzuki for my 13 footer. i had the boat with me, as I wanted to trade the `99 Johnson 25 in, toward a new motor. Of course I have cable and pulley steering. the owner came out to look at my engine, and his first reply was "What the, Is that legal?" Anyway I bought a Merc. 25, It will be hooked up to the cable and pulley steering. A blend of old and new. Am thinking about spending $100 and getting race boat pulleys, maybe add some class. LOL

Notice cable and pulley steering is hooked up a little differently on raceboats.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c19...eboat3.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c19...eboat8.jpg
rich

cbeale
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 10:07 AM

I'm located in Kilmarnock. Any chance of recruiting your help on this problem?

BAY2SAV
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 7:28 PM
Personal Page

Hey Chris,

I sent you a PM

Denny
1972 13' Sport
Smirked Hull and Blue Interior
Nissan 25hp 4-stroke

Yiddil
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/08 - 8:00 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Kilmarnock!!! Heck Im in Montros and I have the pully system on my 64 13 sport.

I'm still fighting with the kainer wheel that wont come off YET!, I cant wait to replace a spring!!!Grin

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

nauticalchallenge
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/09 - 6:28 PM

I disconnected steering box to refinish and steering cable came undone from hub. I notice the slot.

Based on earlier posts, it seems I should slide cable through slot, wind steering cable 3 times clockwise. The last intruction was to wrap the top and bottom around the hub. This may be difficult with no slack.

Any recent suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 13, 2024 - 3:53 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,411,538 unique visits