View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What to do with Merc 450?
Boaterik
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/11/08 - 12:55 PM

Comments: 0

I have a merc 450 from the early sixties. It came on my 13'. I know that it has starter problems beyond that I don't know what else it might need. The local boat guy said he doesn't want to work on it and I am lost as far as these things are concerned. Considering that a new starter would cost $250 plus labor if I can find someone to work on it, I am inclined to part with the motor and spend the money on a new or new used 40hp which fits my boat. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I should sell this motor. I figure it must be worth something to somebody. The mechanic suggested I bring it to a salvage yard but I want to explore other possibilities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Erik

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/11/08 - 1:10 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Binkie seems to be an expert on old motors like the one you mentioned.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

moose
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/11/08 - 2:00 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Erik,
Go to "John's old Mercury" website. Something like "pfs-ware.com". they are the experts on that motor and can get you parts and advice on what to do with it or someone there will more that likely want to buy it from you.

Here is the link http://www.pfs-ware.com/talkshop/

Mike

Edited by moose on 07/11/08 - 2:14 PM

Binkie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/11/08 - 3:59 PM
Personal Page

Erik,
Go to the Antique Outboard Motor Club Inc. (AOMCI) website and advertise it in the FREE classified. I wouldn`t list the price. Someone or someones will get in contact with you, and let them offer. its not worth much unless its running, and freshwater. Difficult to work on unless your a Merc. guy with the tools.

http://www.aomci.org/

rich

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/11/08 - 4:04 PM
Personal Page

The salvage yard will give you very little maybe .12 per pound, because it is made of many different metals. Probably weighs 125 lb. Not worth the effort and gas to get it there, beside old outboard should be saved for restoration or parts.
rich

Boaterik
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/11/08 - 5:35 PM

I am inclined not to bring it to the salvage yard. As I said earlier I am sure it is worth something to somebody. Thanks for all the help.
-E

joninnj
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/08 - 6:15 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

This is a classic engine, I assume a white one. I water skied off one of the these for my first time when I was a child (just few years ago Grin). This is 4 cylinder block was used for many years. You should able to find parts for this. I would consider having the starter re-wound if it is still in good shape visibly. Should be much less that $250. You may also find parts on ebay.

Depending where you are in Vermont, you may be able to find someone who works on these in the Lake George, lake Champlain area. Many classic well maintained boats up there.

If you get this running you attract a lot of attention...

Good luck

Edited by joninnj on 07/12/08 - 6:38 AM
Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

Binkie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/08 - 5:34 PM
Personal Page

If you like to tinker with old machinery, why not join AOMCI. Check out their website. I have a `58 35hp Evinrude Lark on my 13 footer that I sometimes bring to their meets. They are a fun bunch and the knowledge of old outboards there is unbelievable. I miss read your first post, I thought your motor was from the early seventies. That is a valuable motor, if its the white one. Its 44 cu. in, and should say Thunderbolt on the block. I think I even have a starter, I`ll have to look. $30 plus frieght. I have some other parts for it too. The distributor if its good is worth some money. I had two of those motors, unfortunately they were only parts motors. I took them apart and sold the parts on e-Bay. Now the parts are scattered all over the country. That motor is very much in demand. If its freshwater, and if it runs, probably worth 7-8 hundred, or more. If you just need a starter you should be able to start the motor manually.
rich

Boaterik
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/08 - 8:06 PM

Thanks for the info. As you can tell I am new to boating and I am not familiar with boat motors. To be honest I don't really know where to start. It is a white merc 450 from '62 as far as I can tell. It is white with the kiekhaefer emblem on the cowl cover. I am not terribly concerned about resotring my boat to showable comdition I really just wanted a boat I could do a little fishing from. I have since been inspired to do a more thorough restoration on the hull however restoring the motor may be beyond my level of motivation. I would really like to get this motor into the hands of someone who could appreciate it more than me. In your opinion is it worth having someone work on it and fix any problems with it and sell it as a restored motor or should I part ways with it sooner rather than later?

Binkie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/12/08 - 8:39 PM
Personal Page

If you have to pay someone to put the motor in good condition, and buy parts you will be in the hole when you sell. Fixing these old mercs is not easy, and require special tools, which modern mechanics do not have. These motors only have value to antiquers. If is is not running it is a parts motor. It is best for you to advertise is in the above aformentioned website, and you will find a buyer. If you want to spend the time to take it all apart and sell the parts, you will make a little more. People generally like these motors because it brings back memories of their youth, not to make money on. The monitary value is not high even if restored, ($1200?) they are not like `57 Chevys
rich

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 12:37 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,280,240 unique visits