View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
16 ft Currituck motor height setting/E-TEC engine
chiro
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/08 - 7:13 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 1966 Currituck 16 that I repowered with a 90 hp E-TEC. I am having problems with the bow porpoising. I have to keep the engine tucked down and can barley trim it out. Any suggestions?

I am also having problems with the engine popping but not loosing power, the Evinrude rep says that the engine and boat don't match up and to just live with it. I don't believe him. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. The engine only has 30 hrs and should not be popping.

Thank you.

Gary

Edited by Tom W Clark on 06/27/08 - 9:07 PM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/08 - 7:38 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The engine should not be popping.

What set of holes is you engine mounted in now?
All the way down?
1 hole up?
2 holes up?

If you are sure the engine height is correct, then another prop might help with the porpoising.
Others here with the same hull and engine will hopefully let you know what works for them.

Barryg
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/08 - 7:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Gary, the first thing is to start keeping notes on everything said and done. Second thing is to call Evinrude and regester your complaint with the motor and the dealer. The excuses the dealer gave you are nothing more than that. If this does not work let me know and you will have to move to plan B. Plan B has been succesful for me . keep us updated. BG

ioptfm
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/08 - 7:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

You might try a Doil Fin to help with the Porposing. I cannot imagine Evinrude turning their back on you if it is a motor problem. They are just now getting their reputation built back up after many years of a poor product. I agree that it is either a mounting setup problem or a mismatched prop, but no way can I buy that the boat and the motor are mismatched. Too many 17's out there with 90 ETECs on them. Once again it sounds like a dealer that doesn't have a clue what he is doing and is too busy or stupid to expand his knowledge, which is a shame. Keep us posed please

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Tom W Clark
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/08 - 9:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Gary,

Can you clarify what problems you are having now. I understand what porpoising is but what on earth do you mean by "popping"?

When you say Evinrude rep, are you talking about your dealer? Mechanic? Customer service person on the phone? An Evinrude Regional Representative?

What did they mean when they said the E-TEC 90 does not "match up" with a classic 16'/17' Whaler? That is most certainly not true as evidenced by the numerous successful installations of the E-TEC 90 on the 16'-7" Whalers. In fact it is one of the very best choices available today for a repower of that hull.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 06/27/08 - 9:12 PM

chiro
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/08 - 5:24 AM

I think I have 2 problems

1- I think my engine height and prop are not set up right I am having that fixed. I would like to know what other 16/17 owners are running on the same boat with an etec.

2- I have talked to the dealer and customer service person on the phone since day one about the engine making the popping noise aroun 1500 rps to 2500 rpms. I have been told that it will work its way out at the beginning, the boat is to heavy,they have this problem with round bottom hulls and that for some reason the engine doesnt match up with the boat. I have been told this by my dealer, customer service rep and by the evinrude rep for my area. He took the boat out with me and tried to adjust the popping out of the engine and said to just live with it. I know that this is a great engine and the perfect match for tis boat.

Thanks

Gary

seahorse
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/08 - 6:58 AM

Chiro,

When you said "Evinrude Rep" I'm sure you were describing a dealer employee and not a BRP Evinrude representative from the factory.

What is the model number on your 90 E-TEC? There are software updates depending on the year that improve runnability and have the capability to calibrate the throttle position sensor for better mid-range running in the 2000 rpm range. That also depends on your top rpm which is governed by your choice of propeller.

Give us all the info you can about your rig, model, serial number, mounting height, prop size, rpm, etc. and we'll be glad to help.

Derwd24
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/08 - 7:09 AM

Comments: 9

Also, give this article a read when you have a chance, very clear illustrations on correct engine height and prop selection: Article

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 1:04 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Nbish65
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,052
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,272,626 unique visits