View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Avoid I-Command?
Derwd24
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/08 - 8:50 PM

Comments: 9

I was talking to a guy at Ed's Marine Superstore today about gauges for the Etec and he advised me to avoid the I-Command. Says they've had mainy problems with them, part of the issue is the mfr, and to maybe wait until BRP starts making them. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

arthureld
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/08 - 3:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

My dealer steered me away from I-Command too. From what I gather, they aren't that easy to set up so if your dealer doesn't want to sell them to you, you probably should go to a different dealer that is confident about installing them.
I went with the older guages, but those I-Command guages look great.

Edited by arthureld on 06/26/08 - 4:47 AM

Blue_Northern
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/08 - 7:12 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

My dealer in Houston also discouraged the I-Command Gauges. He is a trusted resource for me -- I am going analog with my new motor. There just does not seem to be enough information out there to convince me to go any other way.

Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/08 - 8:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

I have I-command digital gauges and I love them and have had no issues at all. They are not complicated to setup but I will agree when they first come out there was little information on their setup and what was out there was confusing. Many of the dealers don't know how or what to do with them. Personally, setting up the I-Command was easier than setting up my first stereo. You can download the install guide from the downloads section.

The only issues I have ever heard was some gauge fogging in the first round of gauges, but that has long ended and I believe those were the I-Command Classics.

With the I-Command Digital, I can have a gauge setup in 5 minutes that will tell you every thing you need to know about your engine, trim & tilt, water pressure (with kit),temp and with accessories how much oil and gas you have.

I would be curious to hear the list of problems the dealers are talking about? "Don't touch them because there are problems" usually is a translation for, "I haven't figured out these new fangled things so I won't be able to help you or charge Evinrude for a service call" Would you purchase a new car, and then use a dipstick to check your gas level?

You can see a photo of my console on my personal page. If you want to see the gauges in action, let me know and I will try to get pictures this weekend. If you ave questions, ask away!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 3:02 PM
Users Online
Welcome
gdean
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 4
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,090
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,446,264 unique visits