View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Let the work begin!
Joe Kriz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/06 - 11:09 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

My new to me 1989 Outrage 22' Cuddy has finally arrived home safe and sound from Minnesota.
1989 22' Cuddy
She is now basking in the warm Upstate Northern California sun.

I purchased this boat from Mike on January 1st of this 2006 year. I have not been able to pick it up due to weather until this last Friday, 21st of April.

Now that it is at it's new home, I am going to start work on it by putting the things on it that I need.
1. Installing Console Rod Holders with Cushions. (it already has a forward cooler)
2. Installing Original Captains Chairs which I already have. (I will keep the Leaning Post just in case)
3. Making a new set of under gunwale rod holders. (probably whalerboard version instead of wood)(their are no rod holders at this time as they are missing)
4. Installing a set of Side Rails or Grab Rails. (haven't decided which)
5. Going through the entire wiring system just to know what is there and making sure everything works the way it should.
6. General clean up and polishing
7. Hopefully buying or making a Factory style Fold Down Stern Seat.

I think that should keep me busy for awhile.

Mike took good care of the boat so it really doesn't need a lot but we all have our own things we want to add to our boats. I will be doing my thing as well.
It was really nice meeting Mike for the first time in person when we met each other in Bozeman Montana. That was the approximate half way point between where Mike and I live.
What a trip. I drove over 42 hours by myself and 30 hours of driving was non-stop except for fuel on the way home.

Look for more photos to come as I do my own thing to this wonderful boat.

Edited by Mike on 01/16/13 - 8:46 AM

Mike
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/06 - 11:45 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 1

Joe,

It was great meeting you in person too.

How can you even be up and at 'em already?? I'm glad to see you are back in one peice and all is well. It was quite a trip for my son Jim and me too. But we had 2 of us to do the driving. 2000 miles in 39 hours for us. Montana seemed to never end.

I'll be wrapping up the items I forgot to bring with and get them on the way. I will be following the resurrection of your boat with great interest and living vicariously through you and your efforts during the entire process.

I'll call you later.

Mike

ps
Lou managed to eat the cord for the USB camera card adapter - so it be a little bit until I have the pics ready.

Dick
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/06 - 2:37 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Congratulations Joe that's a great looking boat.

Doug V
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/25/06 - 4:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Joe,

Your list looks similar to what mine was.

On the subject of the folding stern seat- I would really like to have the folding stern seat also. I would be interested in following your progress in building a replica, if that is what you choose to do. I would also like to find an original leaning post at some point. If you decide you would like to sell the leaning post, let me know.

Thanks,
Doug Vazquez

Jeff Cunningham
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/06 - 10:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Doug,

I have the factory fold down stern seat in my 1989 Outrage 20 and would be happy to help you any way possible. I live on Vashon Island and my seat is currently out of my boat while I do some refinishing.

Jeff

Doug V
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/06 - 6:57 PM
Personal Page

Jeff,

That would be appreciated very much. Pictures, dimensions and maybe carboard patterns for the backrest and bench would be great.

I believe my boat was originally delivered with the folding bench seat option. Evidence of the bench support screw holes in the deck and the back support rail base screws on the vertical face of the fiberglass covering boards can be seen.

I am working on a project in downtown Tacoma, so maybe we could meet some day and talk about the future seat project. Let me know if this may be possible, or if you have another preference.

Thanks,
Doug Vazquez

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/06 - 7:07 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Doug and Jeff C,

I have some drawings and photos of several different fold down stern seats.
I haven't put them into an article yet as they are incomplete and still gathering information.
Once I start work on the project, I will be making these drawings available...
Any help in this area would be appreciated...

Here is a sample drawing of what I measured off of Jeff's boat.

Joe Kriz attached the following image:

[23.53Kb]

MW
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/06 - 2:16 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Grab rails, you can never have enough grab rails, or Ext. Speakers for the V.H.F. on a Whaler. Now lets Get out there ! I miss that occassional "Kiss from the Bay" spraying over the bow, and slapping me in the face as I plane off, that smell of 2 stroke mix when you fire up the engine in the early AM, The thought of stripers commiting suicide on that new lure that you bought at the boat show last winter, this is what motivates me to paint the bottom of my Whaler !

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/06 - 11:09 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I spent the last 4 days working on all the wiring in the console and the rigging tunnels, I finally finished the electrical system last night.

I have pulled, what felt like, miles of wiring out of the rigging tunnels that were no longer being used. I have rewired the instruments lights so they all come on with the Nav Light switch rather than the key switch. I now know where every wire is connected and what it is used for. There are NO loose or disconnected wires.

I feel much better knowing everything about the wiring system. For me, this is very important and I feel it is in the best interest of all owners to know their wiring system also. You never know when something is going to happen and if you know how your wires are hooked up and how they are routed, you have a much better chance of diagnosing a problem.

Now on to installing the things I noted above.

ladygullrock
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/06 - 4:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

hi joe

if i trailer my outrage to you, can i get help with my wiring? for me it would be worth the trip. enjoy

lew

andygere
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/06 - 7:23 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Joe,
As you know, I've been lusting after the folding stern seat for some time. I thought I had bought one, but the seller's wife had other ideas. I'd love to collaborate with you on the project and share information on parts sources, dimensions, etc. I have thought about making the seat bench out of teak or teak ply instead of glass over ply (which is what I think the factory seat is made of).

Joe Kriz
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/06 - 11:39 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Andy,

I will share everything I have. I think you already have many of the photos I do though with the exception of the ones I took of the 20' I sold Jeff C.

I was thinking the exact same thing for the seat material. Maybe even a swim step from a large boat would work too. I think I am going to use solid teak for the seat back as I am probably going to use snap on cushions.

George V. states that all his cushions are snap on...
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...ser_id=715
I have seen the back material both ways... Snap on cushions and just covered wood...

Joe Kriz
#13 Print Post
Posted on 05/09/06 - 4:26 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I have been working hard on the boat this past couple of weeks. Very difficult for me to get parts in the rural area I live in so am still waiting on many of those parts.

I plan on getting it wet for the first time Wednesday or Thursday. It is now hooked behind my truck and ready for my first run. I started the motor today and everything seems fine. I have added some new photos to my Personal Page here:
My 1989 22' Cuddy

I still have more questions about original options and/or equipment which I will post later.

Doug V
#14 Print Post
Posted on 05/10/06 - 8:42 PM
Personal Page

Joe,

Looking gooood! Looking forward to hearing that everything went great. Silly me, how can it not go great when you're in a 22?

Doug Vazquez

Joe Kriz
#15 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/06 - 5:16 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Thanks Doug...

Well, I took the boat out today. All I can say is WOW...
The 22' Cuddy handles very well and much different than my Outrage 18'.
Everything went great. Absolutely no problems at all.

I am still amazed that when I pulled the plugs in both stern sumps, no water came in. At first, I thought the holes were plugged. My wife and I had to both get in the stern on one side before any water started coming in that sump drain. The 22' Cuddy evidently rides a little higher in the stern as compared to the Outrage 18'... Amazing...

I also did a little speed testing with this engine, 1999 Johnson 175hp. According to my GPS the top speed was 40.8 miles per hour at 5200 RPM. I also found out that the motor could be raised up another hole as there was a rooster tail coming off the cavitation plate of the engine. The engine is raised up one hole now and I am going to take it up to the second hole. I think that should also give me another mile or two faster in speed. The prop seems to be just about right if the engine has the 5500 WOT rating. I am not sure as I don't have an owners manual yet.

I know the boat is rated for 240 HP but I can't imagine going much faster than 40 to 45 for my purposes. 240 HP must fly across the water. Too fast for this old geezer... Smile

Now it's back to work on the small things and rigging the boat to satisfy my own needs as mentioned in a post above...

st
#16 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/06 - 11:53 PM

Comments: 2

Joe,
Glad to know that you got a WOW from your 22' Cuddy! Have fun with it! Smile
Sam

Doug V
#17 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/06 - 6:35 AM
Personal Page

Joe,

Glad to hear you are impressed with the 22. I really love the way these boats handle. Every Whaler I have owned handles like a boat should handle.

I am going out a little later this morning. I want to do a few trips out to the ocean this summer (if I can scrape up the funds for all that fuel), but want to get more familiar with the boat before I get outside with it.

Doug

Edited by Tom W Clark on 05/13/06 - 9:11 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 7:14 AM
Users Online
Welcome
futuredauntless
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,110
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,561,950 unique visits