View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What does your owner's manual recommend for towing gear to use?
MuddyFeet
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/06 - 11:27 AM

Comments: 0

I had been towing my Montauk 170 with our Honda Odyssey, and now tow with our Honda Ridgeline. In both cases, the owner's manual specifically calls for the use of Overdrive when towing in most conditions.

Quote from the Ridgeline manual, Towing section:

"When towing a trailer on level roads under normal driving conditions, do not use D3. This will increase the automatic transmission fluid temperature and may cause overheaing."

...and...

"When driving down hills, reduce your speed and use D3. Do not ride the brakes."

Essentially, the manual directs you to use the transmission like you normally do without the trailer. The Odyssey said basically the same thing.

I mention this because conventional wisdom, repeated often on boating forums, is to use D3 and not overdrive. Things have changed significantly in automotive transmission technology in the last 10 years, and the electronically controlled, load-sensing transmissions of today are perhaps smarter than the driver. Perhaps that's the basis for the 'leave your hands off' directives in the Honda user manauls.

Hope you can get on the water this weekend!

- MuddyFeet

Tom W Clark
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/06 - 12:20 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Sounds like a typo. Do not use overdrive while towing.

MuddyFeet
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/06 - 1:09 PM

Comments: 0

Tom, it's stated in both manuals (2005 Odyssey, 2006 Ridgeline). Called my dealer's service desk after reading your reply, and he reinforced. "Do not use D3 except for engine braking...the manual is correct." Interesting, eh?

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/06 - 2:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

An after market automatic transmission fluid cooler can also be added to the car easily to keep the temp. down as well. An after market auto. Trans. oil temp. gauge might be a good idea too (easy to install, not much $) (www.summitracing.com). I would do what the dealer and manual said to do, The transmission usually will not shift into "O.D." automatically if it still detects a "LOAD" on it. Once the weight is moving and there's no resistance on the drive line, she'll shift into "O.D.", REMEMBER: Follow "Police and Taxi" heavy service schedule --> change auto. tranny fluid every 60,000 miles, or once a year (which ever comes first)...Change motor oil every 3 months or 3000 miles (which ever comes first) Check manual to make sure. Common sense would be to use "D3". When the auto. "O.D" first came out yrs ago, there were big warnings "DO NOT TOW IN O.D." very confusing, I agree. Use High Quality products like the "K&N air filter, This filter is initially a bit more $ (about) $50 but, it is actually cheaper to use because, you can wash it out, and re-use it many times, The engine will breathe better AND cleaner. What does this do ? It gives you a few more "OATS" under the hood for towing, not many but, a few is better than nothing. I use the "K&N" oil filter as well (about $10), with Castrol oil, hope this helps...

MW

Tom W Clark
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/06 - 8:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

That is very interesting and good to know.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 8:26 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhturner
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 19
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,111
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,562,680 unique visits