View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
WOOD REFINISHING MATERIAL
BwhalerBil
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/08 - 6:34 PM

Comments: 0

Have a 1974 13' Sport that needs a refinish of the the mahonagy. What has worked best by brand of material for a durable finish on the summer Great Lakes? The wood is in decent shape at this time and will just need light sanding and stripping.

Any feedback as to what has worked for you in the past, I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Edited by Jeff on 05/07/08 - 8:01 AM

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/08 - 6:40 PM

Comments: 34

Bill,

Welcome and nice to see a local guy.

Here is what I am doing with all my new mahogany parts on the Recommendation of Mike at Nautical Lumber in Warren. I am sealing everything with 2 coats of west systems epoxy, sanding it smooth and then finishing it by spraying 6 - 8 coats of a spar varnish. Mike recommend Schooner varnish while a guy I work with who is a big wood Chris Craft guy Highly recommend Cabot Spar Marine Urethane.

In the past I have just sprayed 6-8 coats of a minwax spar urethane with great success so the epoxy sealing is a new thing for me.

Edited by Jeff on 05/06/08 - 6:41 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

ioptfm
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/08 - 7:08 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I used EPIPHANES with 13 coats and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of sanding. You can use the High Gloss or the Matte finish, depending on your preference. I appied 7 or 8 coats of the High Gloss first and then the remainder used the Matte. You won't have to use anywhere near that number of coats in that yours has already been sealed. Be sure to use a tack cloth between coats and never use steel wool

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Paulsv
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/08 - 7:10 AM
Personal Page

Jeff-

Were you able to get a pretty smooth finish when applying the epoxy? Did you thin it at all? How bad was it to sand flat, before starting with the varnish? What grit did you take the epoxy to?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Paul

Jeff
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/08 - 7:19 AM

Comments: 34

Paul,

The first coat was a heavy one with just straight west systems. I sanding it all with 120 on a dewalt random orbit sander and it worked great. The second coat I thinned with lacquer thinner by 30%. The thinned epoxy spread much easier. I have a light sand to do on that tonight and will be able to start shooting the parts on Saturday morning. I will be using the Cabot Marine Spar on the parts and shooting with a Gravity Feed HVLP gun.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Paulsv
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/08 - 8:47 AM
Personal Page

Jeff-

Thanks. I've been looking at that system on the West webite ("Varnish Over Epoxy" in the "Projects" Section of their website), and have bought the 207/105 resin and hardener. I have had drip problems and uneven surfaces with other epoxies in the past, so I thought the sanding might be a problem. I plan on brushing the varnish, and bought Epifanes to use.

If you'll post picures of yours, when you're done, I'll post pictures of mine! It should be a great system in terms of long life from the epoxy base, and easy touch-up of the spar varnish on top. And should be lots quicker and less work than 12 coats of varnish!

Paul

BwhalerBil
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/08 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply's and the welcome Jeff. I will look for you on the water. This being a new craft under my care and the season upon us, it is my intent to start out with just the rope locker cover. See how it works and continue the project as time permits over the summer. What is not finished will be completed over the winter lay-up.

I have always admired the looks of this type of whaler when the wood is in perfect condition.

sfergson727
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/07/08 - 7:34 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I had real good results with z-spar's flagship spar varnish for a first attempt at refinishing the wood. I ended up using 5 coats, was trying for 8, but ran out of energy after 5. I posted the results on my persoal page, if you are interested in how it came out. Good luck, the end result is well worth it.

Scott
2012 150 Montauk

Binkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/08 - 8:52 PM
Personal Page

Jeff, can you post some pictures of your finished woodwork?

rich

HullBlister
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/08 - 4:22 AM

If you want the best of both worlds (epoxy and varnish) I would look into the two part products like Interlux Interthane Plus. It supposedly has 10x the UV protection of spar varnish, and is much more durable. You can also apply up to 4 coats during the green stage. The downside is that if it ever has to come off, it must be done mechanically - there are no strippers available for it.

Blister

Binkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/08 - 2:45 PM
Personal Page

If your woodwork is in need of a light refinishing, and is in decent shape, just scuff sand it and apply two or three coats of a good grade of marine Spar Varnish, such as Pettits Z-Spar Captains varnish. Nothing is really better, and no need to make a major project of it.

rich

ioptfm
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/08 - 5:34 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Totally agree with Binki........No need for a major strip and start over project............just lightly sand it until it is smooth to the feel and begin putting think coats on it while sanding lightly between each coat. Better for a lot of thin coats than a few heavy coats...............Here's where you get a chance to test your patience...... Grin

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

brernick
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/08 - 8:01 AM

I have used MAS Epoxy system for about 10 years. Take the time and look at their web site. The instructional videos are very good. I just started to rehab my 1959 13' sport with new wood and wouldn't think of using anything but MAS.

John Fyke
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/08 - 5:54 PM
Personal Page

I plan to do the wood in my 15' a little different. First I'm going to stain the wood, then I'm going to epoxy it with West System and then I plan to use a polyurethane clear coat.

I put a transom in my 204C Grady White with MAS epoxy and found it to be a very good product also and with great tech support.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

HullBlister
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/08 - 7:40 PM

protek9543 wrote:
I plan to do the wood in my 15' a little different. First I'm going to stain the wood, then I'm going to epoxy it with West System and then I plan to use a polyurethane clear coat.

I'm not sure I can agree with the use of poly in a marine environment. The concern here is the cycling of the wood. When wood gets wet it swells, and when it dries, it shrinks. Despite your best efforts, it is VERY difficult to completely encapsulate the wood. Even then different temps can also cause similar cycling.

To the rescue comes spar varnish, and similar 2 part finishes. In the case of the spar varnish, it never completely cures with the net result being that it is fairly flexible. This allows the finish to move with the wood and help prevent cracks and chips from happening (which would allow water intrusion).

Many poly's on the other hand are relatively inflexible and somewhat brittle. In a household environment, this is not such a big deal, but the exposure of a marine location can amplify the movement of the wood. Moving wood + inflexible and brittle finish = bad things.

Additionally, many poly's have little or no UV protection. Marine spar varnish does. UV is responsible for the majority of finish breakdown.

HTH,
Blister

Binkie
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/08 - 3:08 AM
Personal Page

I agree with hullblister. Why anyone would use anything but spar varnish is a mystery to me. If the exotic finish fails after a couple of years it is impossible to remove.

rich

John Fyke
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/08 - 5:54 AM
Personal Page

HullBlister wrote:
protek9543 wrote:

I'm not sure I can agree with the use of poly in a marine environment. The concern here is the cycling of the wood. When wood gets wet it swells, and when it dries, it shrinks. Despite your best efforts, it is VERY difficult to completely encapsulate the wood. Even then different temps can also cause similar cycling.

To the rescue comes spar varnish, and similar 2 part finishes. In the case of the spar varnish, it never completely cures with the net result being that it is fairly flexible. This allows the finish to move with the wood and help prevent cracks and chips from happening (which would allow water intrusion).

Many poly's on the other hand are relatively inflexible and somewhat brittle. In a household environment, this is not such a big deal, but the exposure of a marine location can amplify the movement of the wood. Moving wood + inflexible and brittle finish = bad things.

Additionally, many poly's have little or no UV protection. Marine spar varnish does. UV is responsible for the majority of finish breakdown.

HTH,
Blister

I am speaking of automotive and Industrial polyurethane clear coats and they have UV protection and flexibility. I don't know what your back ground is but I am very familiar with all aspects of coatings.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It

John Fyke
#18 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/08 - 6:10 AM
Personal Page

Binkie wrote:
I agree with hullblister. Why anyone would use anything but spar varnish is a mystery to me. If the exotic finish fails after a couple of years it is impossible to remove.

rich

To each his own. I am not pushing my process on anyone. I have a busy life and 4 kids so anyone who wants to keep stripping and re-applying varnish every year is a mystery to me.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It

HullBlister
#19 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/08 - 2:29 PM

protek9543 wrote:
Binkie wrote:

rich

To each his own. I am not pushing my process on anyone. I have a busy life and 4 kids so anyone who wants to keep stripping and re-applying varnish every year is a mystery to me.

A couple of points...

1) If you are stripping and reapplying varnish every year you are doing something very wrong. At most all you need to do once you have a good base is to scuff sand and apply 2 coats every year.

2) Automotive urethanes are in fact used in the boating industry by some pretty high profile names like Pershing, Aprea Mare, and Riva. However, their use is limited to interior applications and only on veneered surfaces that have a plywood or starboard-like substrate. Considering the mass production nature of these manufacturers you can bet if they could get the same results with a faster application product like an automotive urethane, they would use it everywhere they could.

3) The ability of automotive urethanes to flax with body panels is completely different than the flex associated with the hydrostatic pressure cycling of wood in a marine environment. Since you claim familiarity with the auto products you mention, you will understand this analogy. if you dent a car, the paint and clear coat generally will not crack, chip or peel without some other force being applied to it. This is because the coatings are supported by the steel (or other) substrate. However, if the dent were to come from the inside out, the coatings have a much greater chance of flaking or cracking. In this case they are not supported, and in fact are being stretched and pulled. In a very similar way, the hydrostatic pressure cycling of wood has an outward expansion that presses against the varnish. Because it doesn't completely harden or cure it has torsional and expansion give that also allow it the follow the wood back down as the moisture content reduces. Automotive urethanes do not have this ability to "shrink" and therein lies one of the major problems with them in the marine environment.

4) An automotive urethane - like varnish - will not last forever. At some point you will need to remove it and start over. This is especially true if there is a breach in the coatings. With varnish, a little stripper and some elbow grease will get the stuff off. With an auto product (and like a 2 part product like Interlux Interthane) it must be removed mechanically. Personally I think that mechanically removal is the best option for varnish, but I am in the minority of that opinion; mostly because of the time reasons you cite in your other post.

5) If I was looking at a boat that had an auto finish on the wood, I would discount the price I would be willing to pay by the cost of removal of that finish.

Blister

John Fyke
#20 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/08 - 7:08 PM
Personal Page

HullBlister wrote:
protek9543 wrote:
Binkie wrote:

rich

A couple of points...

1) If you are stripping and reapplying varnish every year you are doing something very wrong. At most all you need to do once you have a good base is to scuff sand and apply 2 coats every year.

2) Automotive urethanes are in fact used in the boating industry by some pretty high profile names like Pershing, Aprea Mare, and Riva. However, their use is limited to interior applications and only on veneered surfaces that have a plywood or starboard-like substrate. Considering the mass production nature of these manufacturers you can bet if they could get the same results with a faster application product like an automotive urethane, they would use it everywhere they could.

3) The ability of automotive urethanes to flax with body panels is completely different than the flex associated with the hydrostatic pressure cycling of wood in a marine environment. Since you claim familiarity with the auto products you mention, you will understand this analogy. if you dent a car, the paint and clear coat generally will not crack, chip or peel without some other force being applied to it. This is because the coatings are supported by the steel (or other) substrate. However, if the dent were to come from the inside out, the coatings have a much greater chance of flaking or cracking. In this case they are not supported, and in fact are being stretched and pulled. In a very similar way, the hydrostatic pressure cycling of wood has an outward expansion that presses against the varnish. Because it doesn't completely harden or cure it has torsional and expansion give that also allow it the follow the wood back down as the moisture content reduces. Automotive urethanes do not have this ability to "shrink" and therein lies one of the major problems with them in the marine environment.

4) An automotive urethane - like varnish - will not last forever. At some point you will need to remove it and start over. This is especially true if there is a breach in the coatings. With varnish, a little stripper and some elbow grease will get the stuff off. With an auto product (and like a 2 part product like Interlux Interthane) it must be removed mechanically. Personally I think that mechanically removal is the best option for varnish, but I am in the minority of that opinion; mostly because of the time reasons you cite in your other post.

5) If I was looking at a boat that had an auto finish on the wood, I would discount the price I would be willing to pay by the cost of removal of that finish.

Blister

Dude, go work on your own boat and do it any way you want. And try not to hurt yourself.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 1:37 PM
Users Online
Welcome
airplaneadam
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,094
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.28 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,475,232 unique visits