View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1973 19 ft Outrage to LoPro Conversion Project
sraab928
#61 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/08 - 10:27 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Looks good Rob.... you should see my console - man she has some holes in there - makes you wonder who cuts these things out. I will probably do the same as you and start a new thread.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Blue_Northern
#62 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/08 - 10:37 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

I am going to cut the old plywood out of the back of the console. My plan is then to laminate a new board in with some glass mat in between for strength. The remaining shallow holes in the front will get filled with a filler and covered in one layer of glass. I already went inside the console and replaced all the rotten wood. When I finish the console it will look new! I have been sanding and cutting out crazing/spider cracks like crazy. I order some Awlfair and primer yesterday so I can start putting it back together. I still have some misc screw holes I am going to fill with MarineTex and cover with Awlfair but I am getting closer.

Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

Erik Selis
#63 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/08 - 11:34 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 9

Rob,

That is one heck of a project you got there. You've done a fantastic job so far. When do you think you'll be finished? Have you decided what engine you will be mounting or did I miss that. I have never seen a Low Profile for real before. I imagine it must be a very stable boat. It's projects like this one that also inspires me to take on projects as well. I don't know if I'm ready for something like this yet. Good luck with her.

Erik

Blue_Northern
#64 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/08 - 11:50 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Erik,

I am really in no hurry to finish her up -- I have a really nice 17 that I use right now. Well, I would like to have it finished I am just not under any deadlines to do so. The way I see it every day the hull stays open it is just getting drier and lighter. I would guess I have about another year to get her done all the way.

I am planning to power her up with a new 150hp Evinrude e-Tec. I am going to order a jack plate from Bob's Machine Shop. They are fast and the best I have found. With the tunnel put in I should be able to fly through shallow water.

Mine was originally a 19 foot outrage. The previous owner removed the cap (I want to use that lightly) to convert it to a lo-pro. The original lo-pro hulls are rare and hard to find seeing they were built in such limited numbers. I have seen a few in real life and they are really sexy boats.

Thanks for the words of encouragement -- keep checking in on my gallery to see her come together.

Edited by Blue_Northern on 09/23/08 - 11:53 AM
Rob

Joe Kriz
#65 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/08 - 12:00 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The project looks great Rob.
Looking forward to seeing photos with the engine installed and back on the water.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 09/23/08 - 11:57 AM

Blue_Northern
#66 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/08 - 6:37 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

So I shipped all the console rail fittings to sraab928 today to drop them at his plating company. Thanks again Scott I really do appreciate it -- they are on the way to your office via USPS priority mail. One disadvantage of living in a small town is that you have very few services in close proximity. I love boat projects that all you have to do is write a check -- I am so excited to get these done even though they are just a small part of the project. Grin

Rob

sraab928
#67 Print Post
Posted on 09/25/08 - 8:06 AM
Project Albums

The pleasure is all mine.... The plater really does nice work.

Scott

Blue_Northern
#68 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/08 - 10:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

So I have been working on my console like a crazy person. Last night i got the old wood cut out from behind the dash and ground everything flat. You can see a picture of it HERE on my project Gallery. My plan is now to laminate a new piece of plywood in and fill the shallow holes in the front with a good epoxy filler. I am going to seal the front up with a solid piece of fiberglass and fair it out nice and smooth. I have also finished grinding out all the crazing and spider cracks. It is almost time to start putting it all together.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/06/09 - 11:44 AM
Rob

Blue_Northern
#69 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/08 - 12:13 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

This weekend I got the new dash laminated in back. I cut my piece out to fit and rounded over the edges to make glassing easier. Once I was ready to go I wet out the board side that was going onto the console, I added a layer of 6oz glass and wet it out. Then I mixed up some more West Systems with 406 Silica to a mayo consistency and coated the console dash inside. I used a slotted trowel device to thin the epoxy like you would tile mortar. Once I had a solid coat I wiggled the board into place and weighted it down with 2 five gallon buckets full of rock to set up. One special note is that I rested the dash surface on two 4x6 boards to make sure the pressure was applied to the dash panel for a good seal. Take a look at how it was set up:

Now have a look from the front side once it set up:

Now I need to grind of the gel-coat on the front -- it is cracked so bad it is not worth saving. Once that is done I am going to use Evercoat Kitty Hair Filler to fair out the shallow holes in the glass. Follow this up with a solid sheet of new glass and a finish hot coat of epoxy and I should have a new dash with no holes. ready for primer and gel-coat. Grin

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/06/09 - 11:45 AM
Rob

Binkie
#70 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/08 - 1:16 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Looks good, but have you thought about using a piece of mahogany for the dash, instead of going back to fiberglass? to me Whalers and mahogany just seem to go together, and you`ll even save yourself some work.

rich

Rich

Blue_Northern
#71 Print Post
Posted on 10/06/08 - 1:34 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Rich - I thought about that and opted for fiberglass. I am going back with all teak on the console so the mahogany would not be the first choice anyway. I really like the look of gauges and everything flush mounted into a new gel-coated dash. I assure you I will have plenty of classic wood on there screaming Whaler. The console has been kind of my pet project. I already have the new BRP binnacle w/key, Ritchie compass, Teak side/front doors, and In-Dash Uniden Oceanus VHF. I sent my rail fittings off to be re-chromed and shopping today for a Seastar Teleflex HK6400 hydraulic helm kit. I am also pricing out new Teleflex gauges -- I just have not decided on color and types yet. I will also have a new Lowrance LMS unit up there and brand new windshield. When I finish this thing it is going to look absolutely top notch.

Part of my deal to is to get some additional glass and gel-coat experience before hitting the hull projects.

Edited by Blue_Northern on 10/06/08 - 1:37 PM
Rob

Blue_Northern
#72 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/08 - 9:52 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I stayed up way to late last night getting these holes filled in with the kitty hair filler. I ran out of supplies at 2AM so called it quites. I got almost everything flush and level to the surface with the exception of the upper right rectangle. I will have to make a stop for for supplies and finish it up this evening.

With the front done I am going to go back to the inside and glass the back of the dash. While I am in there I plan to put some glass backer patches on the holes I need to fill. Getting closer to primer. Grin

Rob

Blue_Northern
#73 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/08 - 3:29 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

So it seems my console parts are back from the plater. Props go out to Scott (aka - sraab928) for hooking me up with his guy in PA. THANKS SCOTT - you the man! I can not wait to see how they look. Project has been moving slow since I have been fishing every weekend.

I met Rhett Holloway down in Matagorda last weekend. He has a 1973 lo-pro conversion with a Suzki 175hp -- says he can get 58mph out of her. You can check out pics of his rig HERE. It really made me want to get back on mine when I got home.

Rob

sraab928
#74 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/08 - 4:54 PM
Project Albums

My pleasure Rob. That 175 looks great on that lo-pro! I plan on putting twin 90's on mine. She goes in the shop December 1st for her new gelcoat. I'm very excited.

Scott

ioptfm
#75 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/08 - 6:41 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Rob
I just went through your entire photo account and it is absolutely fantastic. The detail that you are showing on the rebuild is priceless................please keep it going til the end

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Blue_Northern
#76 Print Post
Posted on 12/09/08 - 12:21 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Well I bought a boat that has everything I need to finish the 19 low-pro. I have no need for the hull so will be selling it some time next year when the 19 is complete. In the mean time I have no useful purpose for the Montauk -- look for it up for sale soon. Sad The boat I bought has the following items which I will be using on the 19 footer:

1 - 2006 Yamaha 150 4-stroke
2 - Bob's Marine Jack Plate
3 - Seastar Hydraulic Steering Kit
4 - Lowrance 520C with coastal and lake chips
5 - Magictilt Aluminum Tandem Trailer
6 - Motorguide 82lb Thrust Trolling Motor
7 - Leaning Post that I may like better than the one I bought already.
8 - Misc Hardware and Hatches

I figure by getting this entire boat and stripping it I will save over $6k in parts. The only thing I have left to purchase is a new windshield.

Blue_Northern attached the following image:

[86.6Kb]
Rob

Jeff
#77 Print Post
Posted on 12/09/08 - 12:45 PM

Comments: 34

Rob,

I have a friend in Midlothian, Texas looking for a nice Montauk. Shoot me an email when you are going to sell the 17.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

ritzyrags
#78 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/09 - 5:38 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Rob,
I thought of you and your project lately.
I have read that you sold your other Whaler.
How Have things been?

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 5:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Jgb333
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,103
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.35 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,518,139 unique visits