View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1973 19 ft Outrage to LoPro Conversion Project
Blue_Northern
#41 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/08 - 7:14 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

Well it has been slow on the project the last few weeks because I have been fishing every weekend. This weekend I am going to get the rest of the floor cut up and work on the console some more.

I am in shock from the trash I found under the bad patch I cut out of the floor. Take a look at the picture I posted -- the previous owner did not even attempt to pour new foam he just filled it with old pieces that he took out. I even found foam that looked like those cheap coolers you buy at the mini mart. Angry

More bad news -- I had the fuel tank on the driveway and during the heat of the day noticed pin hole leaks where the tank was pretty badly pitted. Looks like a new tank is in my future. They say to every dark cloud there is a silver lining. Having a new tank built means I can go ahead with a longer tunnel and not worry about trying to fit under the existing cavity.

Blue_Northern attached the following image:

[97.51Kb]
Edited by Blue_Northern on 06/25/08 - 7:15 AM
Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

sraab928
#42 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/08 - 8:03 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Wow Rob.... That is one heck of a project you got going there. I certainly hope I do not have to deal with those kind of issues. Its hard to tell but is that black stuff mold from moisture?

Keep on truckin.... she will be a sweet ride when you are done!

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Blue_Northern
#43 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/08 - 9:43 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

You know Scott I never even looked at it that close. It went from that position straight into the dumpster. I am not discouraged about anything I see on my boat -- it's just work. It will be fine when I am done. I really almost laugh when I find things like this now. I am keeping up with your project as well so keep posting. I will put some more pics up next week of my work this weekend.

Rob

sraab928
#44 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/08 - 3:23 PM
Project Albums

Glad your keeping the right attitude about it Rob. My project has taken a back seat this week - my garage at work is being modified so she is covered outside right now - Hoping to get back to full swing next week.

Scott

Blue_Northern
#45 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/08 - 10:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Well this weekend I finished cutting out the floor on the port side and the inside wall of the starboard side where the bad patch from the previous owner was located. It was a lot wetter than I expected in there -- notice the rotten wood on th floor port side front. I am really glad I went this route. I will end up much drier and with a better floor in the boat. Just getting out all the decay and trash makes it look so much better. I pulled out the mess of foam that was pilled in there to assess the patch that was done on the side. Looks like there is some work to be done there. I also worked a bit more on the console removing old paint and wet sanding. Next step is to keep pulling her out on hot dry days and get the soda blasting done. I am going to weigh her again in the next few weeks and see how I am doing. I also plan to pull her off the trailer and get an accurate weight on it as well. Little by little I can see it coming back. Wink

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/06/09 - 11:43 AM
Rob

sraab928
#46 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/08 - 11:04 AM
Project Albums

That is looking great Rob - us the yellow foam on the port side dry or wet? I assume the wet wood you are referring to is outlining the tank cavity? I have never seen one torn up like this and its good information for me..... thanks for being the guinea pig...lol

Scott

Blue_Northern
#47 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/08 - 11:24 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

The foam on the port side is wet. I assume from the process of wicking. I have read and played around with the foam quite a bit. I thin Jeff said it is like hanging the end of a paper towel in water. Over a period of time the water will climb to the top. After what I have seen in my hull I am quite sure this process also applies to Whaler foam. Scott notice the blocks of glass in the foam. I think these are used during production to keep from crushing the hulls when they inject the foam under pressure. A am planning to use a very light foam/glass injected board that comes in 4X8 sheets and only weighs 20 lbs to build out the floor. Am going to install the material and inject foam under pressure similar to the original process. If have have calculated correctly I should be able to achieve a foam density almost equal to the original pour. Once the foam is in I can glass right over the top to get a strong, smooth, and level floor. I plan to create texture during the painting process in the original pattern.

Fun Fun!

Rob

mattgeiger
#48 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/08 - 11:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Rob- I appreciate the detail on your project. Keep it coming.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

Blue_Northern
#49 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 3:55 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Well - I visited West Marine when I was in Houston today and picked up all the glass goodies I need to get the console finished. I have been sanding on it and have gotten to the point where glass work is around the corner. I have also put together my order for awlgrip supplies and should have that on the way this week. I will post some pictures of the console as it sits so you guys can follow the transformation. Cool

Blue_Northern attached the following image:

[21.83Kb]
Rob

Phil T
#50 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 4:23 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Rob -

If you are buying supplies in advance, you might want to consider obtaining them via the internet. West's prices are just obscene.

I know Hamilton Marine carries everything you bought today with good prices. They are a local store for me and are geared toward the serious boat builder/commercial fisherman.

Just a thought.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Blue_Northern
#51 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/08 - 6:00 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

CBO - I plan to buy all the other stuff online. I found out real quick how high West Marine can be. The Epoxies are not to bad and I wanted to look through everything they offer. I have done my shopping on the internet but got the want it now syndrome going today Smile

Rob

Barryg
#52 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/08 - 3:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Rob, I always take the price from the internet(print it out) to West Marine and they mach it. BG

Blue_Northern
#53 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/08 - 9:26 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Barryg - I thought about doing that after I found the gallon 105 on sale online through Jamestown Distributors. I came really close to going back over there but it was 50 miles out of the way. Doohh!

Rob

ritzyrags
#54 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/08 - 1:44 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Hello Rob,

For my glass repairs I have used SMC resin by Pro Form. It contains Styrene,Methil methacrylate and amophous silica and is readily available at Lordco .
It came with cream hardener but I found that I preferred using the liquid MEK as I could precisely count the drops.
Anyway, I am following your progress with interest.
I also have my console out and have seen paint applied to the unit.I think that after removing everything I will attempt to wet sand the surfaces and see if I can restore.
Great work Rob!Smile

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

RLwhaler
#55 Print Post
Posted on 09/08/08 - 8:43 PM

Comments: 4

Wow! Rob,
Looks like you've been at it!
She's Lookin' GREAT!

Best,
Richard

Blue_Northern
#56 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/08 - 8:40 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Richard - I have not done anything on her in 2 months. All I have done is keep buying parts - that is easy. I guess the good news is she is really getting dried out. I need to go get it weighed soon to see how things are progressing.

Rob

Binkie
#57 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/08 - 5:27 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

No one asked, but the best prices by far I have found on Awlgrip is from Finishmasters Automotive and Industrial Paint Supply. They are a national company and have a store probably near you, unless you live out in the boonies. Just Google their name for info.

rich

Rich

ritzyrags
#58 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/08 - 8:27 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Hey Rob,

Hope that your shopping cart is full and loaded with a lot of great refit materials..
So what's it gonna be Gel coat or Awlgrip?

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Blue_Northern
#59 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/08 - 6:18 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I am planning to gel-coat the bottom side and see from there. If it goes down nice I will probably shoot the top and console as well. If I end up sanding for weeks I will probably Awlgrip the inside. I would loike the whole thing to be gel-coat I am just worried about all the little curves and bends on the inside creating a ton of finish work.

Rob

Blue_Northern
#60 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/08 - 8:22 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

So, I finally got some work done on the boat this weekend. I spent all my time working on the console and related parts. My first objective was to finish the glass job inside where I was replacing the wood that the floor rests on -- done. I then built the new teak door frames for the front and side of the console and cut out the holes to fit the new larger doors. While those set up I sanded on the outside some more and dremmeled out a ton of spider cracks which I will come back and fair later. I pulled all the fittings for the console rails off to have them chromed. Once the door frames were dry I back cut the panels to fit the new holes -- they still need to be rounded over on the front to be done. Feels good to be moving along and we had great weather for working on the boat this weekend.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/06/09 - 11:43 AM
Rob

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 8:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kenny Hulbert
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,105
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,520,142 unique visits