View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1973 19 ft Outrage to LoPro Conversion Project
TexasOutrage
#21 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/08 - 8:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

It is amazing how similar the Gulf Coast boats (gulfcoastboats.net) are to the old Outrage. I understand they used an old mold or created one from an old hull to build their boats.

Bake
#22 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/08 - 7:09 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

pretty nice looking low's. I have ideas about a rear deck but I am not sure it is that much of a bennifit on a boat with only about of foot of gunnel. I am intrested in the tunnel you speak of shoot me pics of that if you get some. I guess the tunnel is more to get clean water to the motor than to reduce the actual draft of the hull.

Blue_Northern
#23 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/08 - 7:49 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

Bake - I sent you a couple tunnel photos at your bell south address.

Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

Blue_Northern
#24 Print Post
Posted on 05/19/08 - 1:12 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Finally got all the foam out of the live well area and the hull clean this weekend. I am getting about a cup of water seeping out every day. I have raised the bow of the boat so I have a good angle on the hull to drain. It seems like creating the void at the stern has really allowed a release point for water in the hull to escape. Now on to getting the fuel tank dug out. I have seen others on this site use a flat hoe on a stick. Any good suggestions are welcome as I know how much labor went into the live well removal.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/06/09 - 11:41 AM
Rob

Blue_Northern
#25 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/08 - 2:58 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I finally got the gas tank out last night. That is really a pretty tough and nasty job -- good thing the wife has bad allergies right now. She walked in the garage and did not smell a thing. It stunk bad! On to cutting the bad section of floor patch out. Follow that up with more dry out time.

I got in the new Ritchie F83 Compass and cut the hole in the console top. Got in the new BRP single controls with tilt and key. I ordered the teak for the console doors from Buck in Florida -- I would guess that I will have it this week. Bought the new leaning post it should be here this week. I refinished the little strip of teak across the top of the console.

Coming up I need to order new windshield from UPD Plastics. I need to send a few small parts of the console railing to get them chromed. Work on my new teak doors. Cut the old wood from the back side of the console and laminate new wood. Glass over all the holes in the dash and gelcoat. I have no idea how long the boat will take to dry out but I am 1 month into it. When done I am going to get the hull soda blasted and assess the glass work that needs to be done.

Day by Day!

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/06/09 - 11:42 AM
Rob

Jeff
#26 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/08 - 5:26 PM

Comments: 34

Rob,

I know that smell well.

Little by little the boat is making it's way to being a great vessel again. Look forward to seeing more images.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

sraab928
#27 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/08 - 5:37 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Keep up the great work Rob... you are giving me inspiration. I took my Outrage off the market. I had a few people who wanted it but I just couldn't part with it... My motor cowlings are out for paint now... Im sealing up the holes from misc transducers over the years and I ordered the drain tube tool from Twin Cities as I will replace all the drain tubes next week. Keep it up and keep us posted. I guess I should start my own page on the Outrage progress.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

RLwhaler
#28 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/08 - 8:57 PM

Comments: 4

Hey Rob,
It was great visiting with you and your dad.You're doing one hell of a job on that lo-pro.

Best,
Richard

Bake
#29 Print Post
Posted on 06/03/08 - 11:58 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Rob

just wondering if you plan on refinishing your floor. I am grinding the nonskid off mine and find the floor to have a lot of uneven spots. Do you see the same thing on yours?

Blue_Northern
#30 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/08 - 11:25 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Jeff -- I get a faint relapse of the smell every time I see the picture.

Sraab928 -- Scott that is great news. I was trying to figure out how you could let that boat get away. By the way RLWhaler picked up the free Whaler I had emailed you about a few months back. If you think you and I have a project you should see this thing. It was wrapped around a telephone pole!

RLWhaler -- Richard I am bringing the boat to you when it gets dry. I want to get the floor cut out and bake it on the driveway till I get the hull down around 1300 pounds. You can count on doing some business together. Your boat looks great!

Bake -- I am having a real issue with the floor in my boat. I went down to Houston and saw RLWhalers LoPro. He has a very nice process for creating Non-Skid. The inside (and outside) of his boat is going to look great. Here is the issue I am having.

1 - Outside no question I am going to have Adrian and Richard do some magic. I need the transom repaired and raised. I need a tunnel put in and all the scuffs/scratches taken out. I also have a bad section on the starboard side that will most likely need to be addressed. Get all the glass work done and NEW gelcoat.

2 - RLWhalers boat is very nice. I am a purist at heart but really feel I need to think about how I plan to use the boat. On the inside I plan to deck in the bow and put about a 3 foot deck in the stern. I would love to go back gelcoat like Richards boat but do not know if I would ever get the true value out. Once I raise the transom and put a tunnel in it will be hard to restore to factory. All these changes make it functional but not original.

3 - I also have a very poor patch from the previous owner that will require about 60% of the floor to be cut out on the starboard side of the tank cavity.

Those things considered, I plan to cut out the bad patch. If it looks wet in there I will most likely cut all the floor out of the cockpit area to dry the boat out Thus removing the Non-Skid in the floor. From here my initial instinct is to build my decks, lay a new flat floor, fill any voids with foam, and paint it with a roll on paint followed with a light spider web spray.

I really have not made up my mind but this seems to be the most practical solution to my problem. I bought this project that is in BAD shape and I am really doing a ton to get it back in the condition I think it deserves. However, there is a point that it just does not make sense anymore. It will be beautiful when I am done! It just cost money.......

Edited by Blue_Northern on 06/04/08 - 11:27 AM
Rob

Bake
#31 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/08 - 1:58 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I completely understand that oem is nice but once a hull is so far gone it cost way too much to go oem. My first whaler project was a 15 footer the floor was smooth so I had to put down sprinkle on non skid. After that there was no need to be concerned with oem. A nice coat of awl grip, fighting lady yellow and oyster white ,and I had one of the best looking little whalers around. My current project is kind of the same. An old navy boat with grey gel coat, covered by a coat of white paint. I plan to paint the hull in and out with awl grip and though purest will hate it; she will be a thing of beauty. I want to post some pics of my project as well but I have not got that figured out yet.

I was out today and placed materal in the dished out part on the top of the gunnel's foward of the center console. I am going to fill that area, I see no need to leave it cuped out like that.

I would like to hear more about the nonskid method you mentioned If you get a little time could you let me know some of the details

sraab928
#32 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/08 - 4:57 PM
Project Albums

Rob, you keep mentioning a tunnel... how do you plan to do this? Are you going to cut into the bottom?

If you had to do it over again would you get less of a project and spend more money up front? Or the fact that you want to deviate so far from stock necessitates such a project?

Scott

Blue_Northern
#33 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/08 - 8:24 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Scott -- I am in fact going to cut a hole in the bottom. It will be 20" wide X 5 1/2 deep at the transom and run 40" towards the stern tapering to nothing. I posted a clear picture of a similar tunnel below.

To be honest I would not be putting a tunnel in if I did not get the boat I did. Mine needs transom work already so why not go for it. I really do not think I would have gone a different route buying my boat. If there were one thing I would change it would have to be a dry hull. Every early 70's model outrage I have ever looked at was crazing -- this should be expecting seeing they are 30+ years old. So unless you spent a fortune on a boat that has been re-gelcoated you are going to have cosmetic issues. I looked at 1500 - 10000 dollar boats and this was the case no matter how great of shape they were in. It would be rare to find a mint single owner boat.

That being said I went for the cheapest I could find and decided on a full restoration. Should be fun! Grin

Blue_Northern attached the following image:

[59.53Kb]
Rob

sraab928
#34 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/08 - 10:51 AM
Project Albums

Wow now that is going to be cool! Do you think its going to interfere with your transom fish locker? I assume you are going to put a hydraulic or electric jackplate on as well. I cant wait to see how this turns out.

I hear you on the classic Outrages. Most of them are showing there 30+ years of use. I still think its a great testament that they are still around and in my opinion worth putting some money into.

Scott

Blue_Northern
#35 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/08 - 12:29 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Scott -- I have already removed the rear live well. I am going to put a fishing platform in the front and rear that is level with the gunnels of the boat. I plan to use the space under for storage etc....

Rob

sraab928
#36 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/08 - 1:06 PM
Project Albums

I missed that part Rob.... I saw the bottom cut out - I thought it was just for drainage etc.... I am following your post closely with regards to the foam and fuel tank as I am sure I will be heading in the same direction.

Scott

Binkie
#37 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/08 - 6:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I would assume that mean looking motor height is because its on an adjustable jack plate raised to the trailering position.

rich

Binkie
#38 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/08 - 11:56 AM
Personal Page

After looking at the picture you posted of the tunnel, have you been on that boat yourself, to see how it handled. Not trying to be critical, but many tunnels do not work out especially at high speed. They have irreversible cavitation problems. I remember Shamrock Boats built a R&D inboard tunnel sport fisherman a few years ago, and after many modifications it still was not right. They built a few, and because of owner complaints finally gave up on it. Of course an inboard tunnel may be more critical that an outboard tunnel. Still a cool project though, and if you copy a successful tunnel boat, you should be OK.

rich

Binkie
#39 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/08 - 11:56 AM
Personal Page

After looking at the picture you posted of the tunnel, have you been on that boat yourself, to see how it handled. Not trying to be critical, but many tunnels do not work out especially at high speed. They have irreversible cavitation problems. I remember Shamrock Boats built a R&D inboard tunnel sport fisherman a few years ago, and after many modifications it still was not right. They built a few, and because of owner complaints finally gave up on it. Of course an inboard tunnel may be more critical that an outboard tunnel. Still a cool project though, and if you copy a successful tunnel boat, you should be OK.

rich

Blue_Northern
#40 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/08 - 1:42 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I have actually ridden on the boat I pictured. The boat is a whaler copy made by GulfCoast Boats in Texas. The original design for this boat was a 1977 LoPro. This is the second tunnel design on the model since it's introduction. The only negative is a little less speed -- other than that the hull tracks nice and clean.

Rob

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 9:36 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kenny Hulbert
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,105
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.30 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,520,653 unique visits