View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Speakers in side panels?
pjred71
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/08 - 7:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I was able to fish the wire from the CC to the starboard side panel. But I do not think there is access under the deck to the port panel.

Looked at pics from gas tank/ deck replacements and cannot tell.

Has anyone had any luck running wire to the port side under the deck? I could run it under the starboard gunnel to the stern, under the stern seat and back toward the bow undr the port gunnel- but that is a last resort.

Edited by pjred71 on 05/04/08 - 7:25 PM

DelawareDan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/08 - 9:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Looks like you have an 89 Outrage 18, from your personal page. Just adding that in case it helps others to help you... maybe someone else has experience with that model... I don't!

Cool

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/08 - 9:59 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

it's not easy, but you can. You need to work it around the fill & vent lines.
18 Outrage deck
The shot above is from the bow, looking aft, you need to go across the deck and slightly forward to reach the console. I would run a fish from the port side to the console so you can work it around the lines, don't try to go from the console, you probably will miss or get redirected by fill.

pjred71
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/08 - 5:39 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Kamie- all of your pics are great. I would like to do many of the same projects. Plus it gave me a great look at what I am running into.

I think my chances are slim trying to fish the wire. If I get lucky enough to follow the vent hose, then I have to contend with getting it turn up the rigging hole (which is cramed with rigging).

I may have to resort to placing them in the CC- although I hate the idea of cutting holes into it.

I'll give the fishing a few more trys first.

kamie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/08 - 7:30 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

You can always try this.
Try going from the console forward to the inspection port where the vent hose connects. If you can get the fish up there, connect a sturdy line too it, pull it back to the console. Then try to go from the forward inspection port, back down to the inspection port were you can check the fill line connection. if that works pull a string back connecting the two lines. Then go from the port side to the inspection port and pull the wires back.

One other option is to go from the port side fill connection , straight over to the inspection port for the gas gauge, and then possibly from the rigging tunnel back down to the gas gauge. It might be tough to get the angle right, but try pulling the wires coming out of the rigging tunnel toward the stern of the boat and force the fish down behind them. It will be almost a 45 degree angle toward the stern and might get you away from the other wires. You should be able to wiggle the fish around and hit the gas gauge and know where you are.

Don't give up, there were plenty of times when I was putting the boat back together I spent the better part of an hour or two trying to fish a wire here or connect something over there that wasn't working. If all else fails, go inside for a cool drink, or do something else, then come back and try again.

pjred71
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/05/08 - 8:35 PM
Personal Page

Well after a few more unsuccessful attempts- I remembered I have a 2 1/2 round mirror on an articulating handle. Using a flashlight, I went through each access port (Gas guage port provided the best look) and reflected the light all around the cavity between the deck and the gas tank. I could see very well all around the cavity. The good news is the underside of my deck is in great shape. The bad news is that I could not visualize the rigging coming down through the deck. There does not appear to be any clear access between the rigging tunnel and the cavity.

Looks like I am installing the speakers into the cc.

Thanks again Kamie.

kamie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/06/08 - 6:10 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

your right, it's not a clear shot, you have to actually go forward to go backwards. In the photo below, you can see where forward of the center console the rigging tunnel opens into the tank cavity. This is where the forward tank strap is secured. It depends on exactly where you console sits how far forward you need to go.
Rigging Tunnel

This should give you the option to go forwad the the inspection port and then back. The trick will be getting over the tank strap.

When I get home tonight, I will check to see if I have any clearer photo's

jorders
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/08 - 2:48 PM
Personal Page

i have done this with my 88 outrage. i removed my side panel cover which covers the fuel intake hoses and fished a speaker wire along the fuel hose over to the fuel sending unit area in the middle of the boat floor right behind the center console. then fish the wire from there over to the console. two steps

kamie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/24/08 - 6:36 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I actually just did this last weekend. Same way as jorders, and really not all that hard.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 12:47 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,418,474 unique visits