View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
F115 Yamaha 4s: "Bogging down"
MW
#21 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/08 - 6:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

That's very frustrating after you've taken care of the motor, and not abused it, hope you get it back soon, I've had to use my tax return on my boat too, I've alway's thought it was money well spent !
mw

Phil T
#22 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/08 - 9:28 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Update -

Good news - They found time to look at the engine and found the problem. Could be ready next week. Smile

Bad News - clogged injectors, VST filter, etc. Lots of $$$$. Sad

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

TexasOutrage
#23 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/08 - 12:31 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

CBO,

At least you know the problem now. Did your old water separator filter and bracket cause the problem or your fuel tank? Did they recommend a different filter setup to prevent future problems?

Phil T
#24 Print Post
Posted on 05/02/08 - 2:40 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I think it was the rusting water separator filter bracket. While the outside looked fair, the inside was rusty. The tech did say the crud is brownish.

Prior to running this year I replaced the filter with the OEM Yamaha 10 micron mini. It is similar to the standard filters but the filter cartridge is a bit narrower and deeper. It is rated up to 120 hp. I also replaced 1/2 the fuel line. The other 1/2 will get done soon.

In addition to the fuel filter before the low pressure fuel pump, I learned there are two additional filters, one inline between the low pressure fuel pump and the VST and a second one in the VST itself. The VST is a bear to check since it is behind the fuel rail and the intake assembly. Accessing that one requires disassembly of the fuel rail, intake assembly and numerous hoses/connections.

When I pick up the boat (next Friday?), I will discuss his findings in depth with the mechanic to ensure I understand the precautions I need to take to prevent this happening again.

1992 Outrage 17 I

Phil T
#25 Print Post
Posted on 05/10/08 - 12:17 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I am back in business!

After talking to the mechanic at length, I learned she was only running on 2 cylinders, where the second fuel filter is along with the approach to removing the intake to get at the VST.

The big shocker learned is that the VST filter is an annual maintenance item (not in the service manual list). I was told that the inline 4 cylinder 115 is unique in placing the VST in a place that is not easily accessible. Shock

Hope to get back on the water tomorrow (Sunday) despite a SCA. Still have to finish cleaning her up in preparation for the Piscat River gathering on June 1.

Just nice to have her back. I missed her! Grin

1992 Outrage 17 I

Derwd24
#26 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/08 - 8:13 AM

Comments: 9

Glad you're back on the water today! Just curious if the injectors were able to be cleaned or did they need to be replaced? Sounds like that may have been the original filter in there?

caymanboy
#27 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/08 - 6:03 PM

Comments: 0

i asked yesterday, have you checked to see if it is overheating?
OP

Phil T
#28 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/08 - 8:54 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

The injectors were sent out to be cleaned. Replacements are several hundred dollars EACH x 4.

I bought the boat with 32 hours on it. Now it has 105 ~ hours over 2 seasons so I considered the filter and VST membrane to be the original.

I would have changed them if they were listed in the operators manual as an annual item.

I plan on having the mech spend some time looking over the engine (in sub artic March) and walk me through what are the real maintenance items.

Cayman - There was no overheat. At the first sign of bogging down, limped home at 1100 rpms.

Despite an occasional fluctuation at idle, she is running great.

1992 Outrage 17 I

seaweaver
#29 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/08 - 4:25 PM

Howdy. I have the same issue. The new ethanol fuels scour fuel sys. and wreaks havock. I have already cleaned my injectors and replaced the internal filters. I got them at Testmasters a local injector service and sales center. I used a rolled tip on a paddle drill bit to reach into the injector and hook the filter...and pull them out. Once out, I blasted the injector w/ walmart carb cleaner, attached a injector plug to a push button switch connected to 12v and "tapped" the switch while back blasting the injector w/ air then cleaner. 12 v continuous will burn the injector so you Tap or momentary contact operate them. When a fine cleaner mist is apparent from the supply side the injector is clean. I then pushed in the new filters. Gas psi from the engine is approx. 35psi so 80 or so will look great from an air nosel.
After injector cleaning the boat ran like a champ till I got "bogging " this past weekend.
My boat is a 19 Dusky w/ a fiberglass tank and I had run several tanks of 10% ethanol gas prior to epoxy painting the inside of the tank so I am sure the problems I have are from the ethanol eating my resin. I run a large primary filter. the secondary engine filter is being replaced, and I am about to return to the bench to clean the VST filter. I got the entire air intake/VST off in 1hr while watching the news and swatting skeeters. I know several Yam Mechanic and they all say this is something I could do.
I post what I find in the VST.
This is my fist time to this board...I do own a 13!
But I hope all are aware of the ethanol and the old fiberglass Montauk tanks.
The tank on the dusky is the large square forward console seat so cutting a large hole to get in and paint w/ epoxy was a breeze. Not so w/ the Montauk tanks..sorry.
cw

Edited by seaweaver on 07/08/08 - 4:27 PM

seaweaver
#30 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/08 - 5:56 PM

Spent an hr cleaning the VST. It is basically a can w/ a float valve that regulates the immersion of an electric fuel pump. At the bottom of the pump is a rubber fitting housing the fuel pick up and screen. Mine was over half clogged. There are 400hrs on it. The plastic cover that guides fuel to the screen had a chunk of accumulated fiberglass resin that powdered under the pressure of my finger. the bottom of the can much like a carb bowl and was nasty w/ the same stuff.
I had it cleaned, re installed and running in an hr.

I love this motor!
I like my alcohol in my glass and not in my fiberglass tank/fuel system.
cw

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 2:08 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,273,271 unique visits