View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Any Floridians on this site? Rendezvous
Brian7son
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 6:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I like the Whaler Central site, but I think there are very few Florida folks on here. Nevertheless, I want to extend an invitation.

We are currently organizing a Boston Whaler owner’s gathering in East Central Florida. The date is Saturday, May 17, 2008. The location is Indian Harbour Beach, FL. You would launch your boat from the public boat ramp on the Eau Gallie Cswy.(SR518 exit from I-95), in Melbourne, then rendezvous at Dragon point, about 1 mile from the ramp. After that we plan to ride down in a caravan of Whalers to Marker 21 in the Indian river lagoon (about a 6 miles run). There are some spoil islands on the west side of the river. We are going to raft off and/or beach the boats, picnic and have cold beer, sodas etc. We plan to start at around 10 a.m. and go until the afternoon.

The folks that are coming from out of town are staying at the Lexington Hotel, in Indian Harbour Beach. It is a fun, casual, inexpensive hotel with a tiki bar and a pool, located across the street from Telemar Marina. Here is the link to the hotel:
http://www.lexingtonhotels.com/property.cfm?idp=22004&rcode=GCPPCG&gclid=CPj9t43X5JICFQdgsgodIiH_4A

There is no cost for this event other than what you pay for your food, drinks and hotel. Everyone brings their own provisions. It is a group of Boston Whaler owners gathering to have fun. We may have a cookout after the event with burgers and hot dogs. If you are interested you have a few ways to join us. You can go to the “Continuous Wave” website, sign on and go to the “Trips and Rendezvous” section. There is a post for: “Rollcall for 1st east coast GCBWOA gig on the Indian River”. Here is the link: http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000961.html
You can go to the link and advise us that you are attending. If you plan to come, let us know your boat type and how many people are coming with you. Another option is to just email me with that information and I will post it on that website so we have a general idea of how many folks are coming. boneil@sinclairlaw.com

We hope to see you there. It should be a fun time.

Brian

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 8:02 AM
Personal Page

I would be interested, but your date interferes with my Antique Outboard meet held in Taveres, near Mt. Dora. Hope to catch up with you folks some other time.
I`m in the Tampa area.
rich

Brian7son
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 11:49 AM
Personal Page

Rich,

If you come to this Rendezvous, I might let you drive my wife's 1957 Reinell with a 1959 Johnson Seahorse.

HMMMMMM...got ya thinkin' now. Smile

Take it easy,

Brian

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 12:50 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Brain,

There are a lot of members here from Florida.
Just wondering why you get the impression there aren't many people from Florida here?
I realize not everyone puts there location in their profile like you do, but even so, there are many people here from Florida.
Florida is a big state with water on both sides. Not many states can say that. Two coastlines, one on the West side and one on the East side. Florida also has the pan handle coastline.

Brian7son
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 1:03 PM
Personal Page

Joe,

Sorry, I was incorrect in assuming that there were few Floridians here. In the past, I had posted questions here and reviewed the other posts and saw very few people listed as from Florida. I read a lot of kind replies to my inquiries and most appeared to be northerners. This lead to my incorrect assumption.

I am delighted to learn that Whaler Central has lots of Florida members. Maybe some of them can make it to our rendezvous.

Take it easy,

Brian

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 1:11 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Brian,

You might also check out our "Members Location Map" on our site.
Not everyone puts their location on the map but it is a good way to find other people in your area.
If you are not on this map, I would suggest putting in your information. It doesn't give anyone's exact address but it will give you the town they live in.
Check it out if you haven't already:
http://www.frappr.com/whalercentrallercentral

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 1:37 PM
Personal Page

Brian,
hmm, that is very tempting, I run a `58 Evinrude 35 Lark on my 13 ft. Whaler, but I was looking forward to the AOMCI meet as I made a bunch of changes to my race boat, and want to test it there. I`ll be sure to make the next one though, Do you ever have get togethers in the center of the state, like in one of our many lakes. We have a lot of folks who live on Fl. West Coast.
rich

Brian7son
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 2:01 PM
Personal Page

Rich,

I have an older 285 Conquest (1998), it's 30'10" LOA with a 10'4" beam. I cant trailer the pig, so going to the lakes in central Florida won't happen with that rig. However, my wife has a 17 montauk with trailer, so maybe we'll have to try it one time. I just prefer to be on the bigger boat. You get spoiled when you have the head, A/C, microwave, fridge, etc. That stuff is real nice to have on a rendezvous.

Take it easy,

Brian

John Fyke
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 6:43 PM
Personal Page

Sounds like fun but I've got my plate full with projects. 1980 13' belongs to a WC member, my own 1989 20' Stratos bass boat, my 1981 204C Grady White and my 1979 15' Boston Whaler sport.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Steamboat Willie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/19/08 - 7:25 AM

Are you really serious? My Conquest is too big to trailer and I won't take my wife's Montauk because it doesn't have A/C and a head? Give me a break! Jump in the water to cool off and go potty where the fish do.

Brian7son
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/08 - 5:34 AM
Personal Page

Willie,

Partly because I'm spoiled with the bigger boat and partly medical nonsense. I have a bad family history of cancer, father died from it at 51, first cousin died at 27, etc. I have had lots of pre-cancer stuff burned off. The doctor told me about 5 years ago just to stay out of the sun, period. I said, sorry that aint happening. Like Jimmy Buffet said: "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead." I will not stop boating or being on the water. I will just be on a boat in the shade "most of the time" with sunscreen, a shirt and a hat on. There is no way that I am going to "not go out in the sun". I live on the water and have boats. I know it's a lame excuse, but it's true.

I still have a great time with the family and do lots of boating. However, I'm hanging in the shade under the hard-top 98% of the time I'm out there. So, I figure that if I have to hang out in the shade and I own a 285 conquest, I may as well do it with the extra creature comforts around. If that's a crime, I'm guilty.

Edited by Brian7son on 04/21/08 - 7:45 AM

Brian7son
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/22/08 - 6:04 AM
Personal Page

Joe Kriz wrote:
There are a lot of members here from Florida. Just wondering why you get the impression there aren't many people from Florida here?

Joe:

The only reason that I had mentioned "Any Floridians" on this post was because this post was in reference to a Florida specific event. This is a site composed of Whaler enthusiasts from all over the world and it is a great source of information.

On this post, 3 Floridians have chimed in. I checked a few other posts on this board to guage the amount of input from Floridians. A post dated 2/24/08, titled "Sarasota Whalers" had 119 views. 1 reply from an Ohio member and a response from Biggiefl, the Floridian that posted. Another post dated 4/9/08, titled GCBWOA Memorial day gathering, 29 view -0- replies, two prior posts from RGT, 3/14/07 and 5/4/07, 1 about Cobia and another about FL Gulf Fisherman, one post had 0 replies, the other had 2 replies. Your own post about taking a vacation in Florida had very few Florida members responding. I had checked that map that you referred me to and I counted only about 14 people in the entire state from the pan handle to Key West.

That was kind of where I got my impression from as far as there being a small number of Florida members. I'm sure that you are correct about there being a lot of Florida folks here on Whaler Central. However, they seem to be viewing posts and not chiming in.

To re-emphasize a point, I think that Whaler Central is a great Whaler website with lots of useful information and members willing to reply and give advice on a wide array of topics. I like the site. I was merely explaining where I had got the impression that there were not many Florida folks here.

Take it easy,

Brian7son
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/08 - 5:39 AM
Personal Page

RENDEZVOUS CANCELLED.

longanddeep
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/08 - 8:33 AM
Personal Page

i am in tampa i would have loved to go but did not know until now..

Bob Kemmler JR
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/08 - 8:30 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 7

I can only speak for myself on this one. As much as I love talking Whalers and seeing others boats , I hate trailering the long distances, navigating strange waters and then making the long drive home afte ra day on the water. I can drive 15 minutes and be on some of the best water in fl (10k islands). Anytime you want to come down this way, feel free to park your boats, campers or tents in my backyard. We can run to Marco and party on Keywaddin island till the cows come home lol

On the hunt for a classic 19 or 21 Whaler

longanddeep
#16 Print Post
Posted on 02/13/09 - 9:24 PM
Personal Page

i am in tampa...keep me posted on the next outing

tkhvdh
#17 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/10 - 7:02 PM

Comments: 20

Florida and Georgia Whalers will be at Dog Island (Frankin County) over Memorial Day weekend.

Be careful of the "in the water crowd" when anchoring and have a designated driver/no BUI.

To avoid the major crowd anchor up towards the west end of the island near the cut with the family and kids.

Please leave no trash and stay clear of birds nests.

Last year I saw over a dozen Whalers.

Edited by tkhvdh on 04/27/10 - 7:04 PM
But it IS a WHALER.
The One and Original "T" Party.

Rico
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/11 - 4:33 PM

Just signed up....greetings.
Any whalers in South Florida?
I'm in Fort Lauderdale.

freeflyer1
#19 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/12 - 12:48 PM

South Florida..Tequesta here..

Swamp
#20 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/12 - 1:03 PM

The last 5 posts in this thread are all a year apart from eachother... Check the dates.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 9:48 AM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,107,696 unique visits