View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
build your own engine stand
Binkie
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/08 - 6:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Build this outboard motor stand for under $50. It will hold up to a 20" V4 or two small motors.
engine stand

Then at your local home center pick up a 2`x2` piece of 3/4" plywood. Rip it in half and screw the two halves together. You now have a piece of 12"x 24" by 1 1/2" plywood. Bolt the plywood to the motor stand with 1/2 or 5/8" bolts in such a way that you can rotate the plywood for a short shaft 15" or a long shaft20" motor or horizontal for two small motors. I don`t know if I would use this stand for a 25" shaft. If you do, you would have to offset the motor to the side a little, so the skeg would miss the center of the stand. This stand will last a lifetime and is very stable unlike some homebuilts made of 2x 4s.
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/floridaboy2053/boats/motorstand2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/floridaboy2053/boats/motorstand1.jpg[/img]

rich

Edited by Jeff on 03/28/08 - 6:42 PM

Texas Captain
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/08 - 6:52 PM

I built a really nice stand out of steel 4 x 4 tubing all welded up, great job if can say so myself. To facilate moving the motor around it fit perfectly on a four wheel furniture dolly. I could put the battery and the little 1 gallon gas can on the dolly behind the motor. Neat set up, I thought! On one rainy Saturday afternoon I was going to test the motor after rebuilding the carbs so I just pushed the motor into the open bay of my garage where my wife Expedition normaly parked (she was out spending money). I hooked up the water, plugged in the wiring harness and hooked up the battery. Hit the key switch and she fired right up. Wasn't idling fast enough so I walked into my shop for a screwdriver to adjust the idle. When I walked back into the front of the garage I watch my motor still running rolling out of the garage. It hit the lip drop off where the garage door shut and proceeded to fall over. I stood there for a second trying to figure out what to do. The motor layed there for a good 30 seconds before I finally had the presence of mind to turn off the key. (I'm old, give me a break) Damages: 2 broken off sparkplugs (the sucker was laying on its side running on 2 cylinders in a driving rain) and the lower cowling broken into several pieces. Replacing the cowling after searching for a used one for several weeks and it involved removing the powerhead.

Learned my lesson well. The motor is still on the stand about ready to go as soon as the hull comes back from the painter but my new house has perfectly flat garage surface.

The stand is still doing a fine job.Shock

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/08 - 7:09 PM
Personal Page

Tex,
Thats a scary sad story, I would stand there in shock too. Furniture dollys are not very wide. I think this 3 legged engine stand is very wide and stable. the wheels are cast iron and don`t roll as easily as the wheels on furniture dollys.

rich

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 11:55 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,483,135 unique visits