View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
center console on 15 sport?
oh henry
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/06 - 5:49 PM

Comments: 0

Can I take out the side console on my 82' 15 foot sport and put in a small center console? Nothing major just small console that has a hand rail w/ small quarter windshield. Is it an extensive conversion? Has anyone ever done this or seen this done?

MW
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/15/06 - 1:46 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I was thinking about a center console for my 15 a few yrs back, it can be done but, my only concern was the balance of the boat. A "CC" would be nice however, the offset console makes it easier for 2 people to cruise in the boat side by side, and the boat is balanced. If only 1 person is in the boat (pilot at the helm) you just slide over to the middle of the boat on the bench seat, and the boat is balanced. If you have a cc (on a 15'Wink, where do you put your passengers ? in front of you (then you can't see) ? behind you (as you know, not much room back there on the 15'Wink ? I have seen "CC" on 15's and even 13's but, they were mostly used by guy's that are "SOLO" most of the time out there, and they seem to do well (clammers, fishersmen, and a canvass installer that I know) don't forget that the 15' sport is not as "Beamy" or has as much "Freeboard" as it's bigger brother the 17' Montauk, and although the 15' is a very safe stable platform for it's size (probably the most stable in it's size class), It's not "as" stable, or has "as" much freeboard it's 17' bigger brother. The construction of the CC would also have to be much lower to the floor than the 17' as well. The draw back to the 15' (if there is one) is the fact that you are bent over (at least on my 15' '76) steering the boat while practically sitting on the floor, this isn't a problem if you are 12 yrs old but, for the rest of us (over 12 physically, not mentally) it can be a bit straining on a long cruise (especially on some bumpy water). The 15' design (I think) was made for short trips across the bay at high speed chasing Blue fish, and Stripped Bass, "Long Haul" comfort was not considered in it's design.

Tom W Clark
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/15/06 - 8:45 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Yes, you can install a center console in the 15 but the big problem you will face is the rigging. With a side console, the steering cable, electrical and control cables are routed down the side.

With a center console, you would be stepping over the cables which would be exposed on deck; not a good thing.

Whaler did make a Sport 15 Center Console model which was very popular. Whaler modified the 15's hull by adding a rigging tunnel under the deck for the cables. There is at least one case of an individual retrofitting a rigging tunnel on his own, but it was a lot of work. I think if you really wanted a center console you would do better to sell the boat you have and buy the factory model.

Jeff
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/06 - 2:17 PM

Comments: 34

Here is a photo of the rigging tunnel Tom is talking about..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v672/dn...506063.jpg

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 1:34 AM
Users Online
Welcome
o8er
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,107
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,531,141 unique visits