View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Texas Memorial Day Get Together
duf
#21 Print Post
Posted on 03/21/08 - 6:15 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Yes it is CES and with my family arriving next week, i plan on throwing some photo's of the area up so everyone has a good idea of what to expect! Once my family comes and goes (next week) i will be concentrating on the memorial weekend get together and getting all the loose ends tied up!

Duf Cool

John Fyke
#22 Print Post
Posted on 03/22/08 - 7:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

CES wrote:
Clock's ticking down! This is going to be a great weekend!!

Oh yea!Shock

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

CES
#23 Print Post
Posted on 03/26/08 - 7:20 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Hey Protek, you ought to fly out for this event. Let us Texans show you Floridians how it's DONE!!

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

John Fyke
#24 Print Post
Posted on 03/27/08 - 4:59 AM
Personal Page

CES wrote:
Hey Protek, you ought to fly out for this event. Let us Texans show you Floridians how it's DONE!!

Thanks but no thanks. I saw what you (Texan) did to your whaler (remember the dock) after I restored it.Grin

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Texas Captain
#25 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/08 - 6:29 PM

Hey Bob, sorry I missed your call, I was out of town buried in a heavy lift operation. The boat is at the painters right now and when I get it back we will have to rig it. Throw in a 40 anni cruise with my bride in April for 10 days, I am running out of time. Weather has been great so it won't be a hold up but the chances of making it this year is beginning to look slim. I don't know if the motor is still ok, it should be, but it will need all new control cables and steering cable. All pretty overwhelming. I keep you posted.

Mike

Bob Younger
#26 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/08 - 7:04 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Well all, I'm going to DUF's tomorrow for a dry run so to speak. I don't know how 'dry' DUF and I will stay (in more ways than one) but we plan on getting a lot accomplished. We will be going thru the launching, places to go, etc. I plan on taking a lot of photos and notes and will have them in this thread early next week.

In order to see if DUF can get a group rate at an area hotel we will need a 'hard count' of those coming so please let us know now of the exact number in your party and if you are interested in this arrangement.

If you have any question about the area or ideas about the meet let us know so that it may be addressed.

duf
#27 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/08 - 3:03 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Welp folks, Bob and his wife made it down this weekend, and just a short while ago departed for home. To say the least, we had a large time, cruised all over with both our boats and hopefully made a good game plan for the Memorial day get together. Bob and Cathy are great folks and we really enjoyed their company, Squid too! Bottom line is, i think we have a good general idea of what we plan on proposing for the outing, as where to meet up at, lunch the first day, dinner, etc etc. Bob will be posting pictures and an outline in the next week or so.

Bob and Cathy, surely enjoy your visit!!

Duf and Trish Cool

Bob Younger
#28 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/08 - 6:52 PM
Personal Page

It was hard work but someone had to do it. So I went on down to Duf's in Corpus and we sequestered ourselves at a place called the 'Ski Basin' to hash out the details. The thread will be updated shortly with places and activities plus a link to a lot of photos. In the meantime I'm attaching a photo of us hard at work.

Bob Younger attached the following image:

[60.65Kb]

CES
#29 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/08 - 6:59 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Wow, you guys really worked your butts off....I bet it's going to take a few days to recover from that mission. LOL. Grin

Thanks guys for taking a hit for the team and working out some details. This should be a great adventure!!

Cliff

Cliff

PaulTarwater
#30 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/08 - 12:47 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Holy Smokes! That pic bring back memories of when we had a 27ft Albin trawler moored in those very canals, south of the JFK bridge, and I caught 3 bigggg redfish (all over32"!) off of topwaters (Zara Spooks) earrrrly in the morning just after coffee! What a morning rush !!! I am so sorry I can't join all of you good folks but I will be in Spokane, WA that weekend attending my wife's graduation from Gonzaga U with her PhD (post hole digger). I have very close friends that are per-fessers at Texas A&M Corpus that also live just off of Ocean Drive so I will try and reunite during the summer when I am fishing the flats over in Ingleside, just out of Bahia Marina. XXX Paul

duf
#31 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/08 - 3:51 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Paul, just give a hollar when your down this way and we'll hook up. I'm a offshore fisherman wannabe, so i hope in the coming months to hone my skills, by getting the boat ship shape, and heading offshore to locate some good fishing locations.

Duf Cool

Bob Younger
#32 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/08 - 8:21 AM
Personal Page

Details for the weekend are below. All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Another post will be done this weekend with pictures plus some more information.
GETTING THERE

Most of you will end up on I-37 going South into Corpus Christi. Take the exit directing
you to Padre Island (SR385). From that point on continue follow the Padre Island signs
(the roads are well marked). You will come to a LARGE bridge (JFK). After you cross
it you are on Padre Island. It is a big bridge and can not be missed. From the top of it
look to the right and you will see Snoopy's (the name is on the roof). The road after
the causeway bends to the right and becomes Park Road 22. This is the main 'drag' for
the island.

THE PLACES

The launch area

Once over the causeway take a LEFT at the first traffic light (SR361). You will go a
short distance and then over a low bridge (Packery channel). Take your FIRST right
onto ZAHN and then the FIRST right (an unpaved road). This road is a little
rough but any vehicle can navigate it. This will lead to the public boat ramp which
is on Packery Channel. There are two ramps that are wide with gentle slopes so there will
be no problem launching. The parking area is also VERY big so no problem there.
This area is not paved, it is sand and gravel, but packed. You will not get stuck.

Packery Channel

Packery Channel goes from the Gulf of Mexico to the Intercoastal Waterway. It is marked
with white stakes. Once outside of the channel the water depth is one to two feet (the
channel itself has plenty of depth) so use caution. There is plenty of traffic in
the channel so if you are not sure just get behind someone. The channel has beaches
and plenty of areas for fishing and for those bigger boats, access to the Gulf.

Snoopy's

This is a local seafood and burger joint and very popular. You can dock up to it but the
available space is limited. It is possible that we may need to do a little rafting up.
However we will have to take precautions because some idiots do not take heed of the no
wake signs. Once you have launched go WEST toward the Intercoastal Waterway or, if you are
not sure which direction is West head toward the causeway bridge (you can't miss it).
Once in the Intercoastal Waterway turn LEFT and under the causeway. Immediately to the left
(Marker 37) you will see Snoopy's (the name is on the roof). Dock where ever there is
available space.

Wayne Duffy's (DUF's) Place

Take Park Road 22 South and turn RIGHT onto Whitecap (there is a VALERO/STRIPES on the
corner plus the intersection has a traffic light). Go down Whitecap .9 of a mile and
turn right onto Aquarius (you will see a two story home with a wall around the property),
Go down Aquarius for .4 of a mile and turn LEFT again with a two story on the corner,
onto Mizzen. Mizzen is a Cul-de-Sac and DUF's is the last house on the left (13805 Mizzen).

Ski Basin

This area has several dredged out channels that were initially planned for homes. The
developer went belly up in the 80's so no homes, but plenty of nooks and crannies with
wonderful beaches. 'Ski Basin' is a local name so it will NOT be found on any chart.
Get into the Intercoastal Waterway and head South (or, from Snoopy's hang a left).
Between markers 53 and 55 turn LEFT (East). You will be turning into the channel for the Padre
Island Hatch Club (PIYC) and homes of Padre Isles. This channel is well marked and is
a NO WAKE zone. The residents of Padre Isles take their NO WAKE zones very seriously,
so should you. The first cut to your right (South) is the entrance into Ski Basin. There
are a lot of boaters in this area. Those on PWC's (jet ski's) are particularly
suicidal. Knocking them off is worth extra points.

Bob Hall Pier

This a public fishing pier on the Gulf of Mexico side of Padre Island.
Also a great breakfast or evening cocktail place.

The Lighthouse on Padre Island

Just recently re-opened and offers drinks at 1100 hours upstairs, and breakfast on
Saturday or Sunday downstairs in the restaurant area. The Lighthouse is accessible by boat.

THE ACTIVITIES

Saturday (May 24, 2008)

Launch at 'the launch area' whenever you get there. Bob will be there from 11:00 to 1:30
(you can't miss the Eastport) and will monitor VHF 16. You can call him at
281.782.7544. Should you have serious issues call DUF at 361.549.5347

Rendezvous at Snoopy's by 2:00 PM. If you are there earlier explore as you may.
It is very difficult to get lost. The causeway is a dominant feature that can be seen for miles.
Use it as a point of reference. After Snoopy's we'll keep our activities in Packery channel and or
at Ski basin. A 'parade of Whalers' would be fun (we'll need a volunteer to make sure there are
plenty of photos). Group up as you may for your selected activity (Packery has places for everything
EXCEPT water sports, but there is plenty of that available at Ski basin.)

Meet at DUF's at sevenish. GO THERE BY CAR you do not want to navigate (by water) to or from his
house in the dark. It is a serious cul-de-sac. We are having a Bar-B-Que of ribs, chicken, beans
and potatoes provided by Duf, Aka Wayne. ALL drinks are BYO.

We will also discuss Sunday events and places

Sunday (May 25, 2008)

More or less dedicated to a breakfast at one of the places we checked out (BOB HALL PIER or
THE LIGHTHOUSE ON PADRE ISLAND) and events based on what is decided at DUF's house Saturday night.

Monday (May 26, 2008)

Everyone is on their own, make friends and plans accordingly!

Any suggestions are appreciated. We need a final count from everyone so DUF can try and make a
group rate deal. LET US KNOW HOW MANY IN YOUR PARTY AND IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS!!

This weekend (honey do's willing) I'll have a link with pictures from last weekend plus some maps
that may be useful.

Looking forward to having the first Whaler Central get together (this is the first correct Joe
and Jeff?) and hopefully an annual thing that will continue to grow.

Bob Younger
#33 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/08 - 4:27 PM
Personal Page

Okay gang, here are some photos and maps. If you have any question/coment let me or DUF know

Padre Island photos and maps

CES
#34 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/08 - 4:59 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Wow Bob, those pictures look great.

Duf, will it be okay to keep my 13' tied up to your sea wall or dock for the weekend?

[IMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa259/ceshaw/IMG_1483.jpg[/IMG]

Can't wait for this to happen.

Cliff

Cliff

duf
#35 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/08 - 6:04 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

CES, no problem keeping your boat tied up over the weekend. I have plenty of room, and actually plan on reworking another section of my dock that the winter high tides took out, and it should be up and running before you guys get here. Regardless, have a ton of water front space and we will give you a parking spot!!

Duf Cool

Bob Younger
#36 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/08 - 5:10 PM
Personal Page

Okay all, everything is moving along nicely, as of now we have ten adults and four children. There is no 'deadline' for coming, just sign up!

Saturday is the Bar-B-Que at Wayne's and he is providing ribs, chicken (white and
dark meat) and beans. My wife and I are providing potato salad and corn. We'd like to ask each family to bring something as well to 'round things out'. I'll edit this post with what everyone is bringing so we stay coordinated. If you have any question call me, email me, PM me or just use the post. Some suggestions/things needed are:
appetizers (such as chips and dip)
deserts (such as pie, watermelon, cookies, brownies, ice cream)

ITEM ....................................PROVIDED BY
RIBS ........................................DUF
CHICKEN...................................DUF
BEANS.......................................DUF
POTATO SALAD .........................BOB YOUNGER
CORN .......................................BOB YOUNGER
DEER SAUSAGE..........................TEXASOUTRAGE
TWO WATERMELONS...................TEXASOUTRAGE
CHIPS.......................................BLUE_NORTHERN
DIP...........................................BLUE_NORTHERN
COLE SLAW...............................BLUE_NORTHERN
COOKIES..................................BLUE_NORTHERN

Edited by Bob Younger on 05/13/08 - 4:39 PM

duf
#37 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/08 - 8:11 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Well, getting closer folks, and just e-mailed Bob today to get a head count on boats. Rob and his family were down friday and it gave me a great excuse to take the boat out (like i really need one) and we talked about mooring and where he and his family were going to stay etc. Basically i offered to be a shuttle from where Bob has pointed out on Packery Channel as a launch site to my house on Saturday evening, that all the boats can come here and after the cook out, i will take you back to your vehicles and trailers so you can return to your hotels/motels etc and leave your boats moored here for sunday. I will do the reverse in the morning to have a meet time and will meet you at the launch site to take you back to your boats for Sunday. We can nail down the time etc saturday as i'm sure we will all want to eat and can plan accordingly.

Cya Soon!

Duf Cool

CES
#38 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/08 - 8:56 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Hello Guys. Well, I went out on a "Fishing Training / preparation" trip with my two little kids yesterday to get them ready for the Memorial Day get together and I experienced a major Steering casualty. The steering arm on the engine that connects to the Teleflex steering cable corroded and snapped. I had to steer the boat from the transom while my 6 year old controlled the throttle in order to get back to the boat ramp yesterday. The motor is a 1987 Yamaha 40 HP. Unless I can somehow get this repaired in time for the get together, I seriously doubt I will be able to attend. Any technical, mechanical or logistical advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Pictures of the damaged steering arm will be posted on another thread.

http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=22&thread_id=3971

Thank you.

Cliff

Edited by CES on 04/27/08 - 9:18 AM
Cliff

TexasOutrage
#39 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/08 - 9:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Cliff,

Let us know what we can do to help. Ronnie's Marine is a big Yamaha dealer in the Aransas Pass/Corpus Christi area. They might have the part. We will take a look at your post with pictures.

Look at it this way, your six year old is a seasoned captain now.

CES
#40 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/08 - 9:16 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Ya, he's pretty proud of himself because he helped dad through a situation. My 4 year old was scared to death....she thought we were going to sink. She didn't realize we were in a Boston Whaler...I don't think the concept of "Unsinkable Legend" has "Sunk" in yet.

Cliff

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 9:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.33 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,424,810 unique visits