View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Texas Memorial Day Get Together
Bob Younger
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/08 - 5:00 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

We are on for Memorial Day weekend! (May 24, 25 and 26)

We will be meeting at DUF's house in Corpus Christi. His address is:

13805 Mizzen St
Corpus Christi TX 78418

There are a lot of canals (protected water) plus access to the Gulf. Some of DUF's description is:

There is a ski basin that a lot of people go to to ski, jet ski, tube pulling and assorted water sports. Its basically a large canal with a beach area that you can pull up on and park and pull out some chairs and socialize. The canal entrance is about 3 miles SW of the JFK bridge, and ski basin itself is about 5 mins from the intercostal.

In other words ALL Whaler sizes can be accommodated.

DUF and I have just started the coordination and planning and will be meeting (in Corpus) the beginning of April. By that time we should have plenty of feedback so activities and coordination can be planned out.

Some of the 'rules' so far:

So that this thread is not overloaded and responses not overlooked please email me at:

rlyounger1@msn.com
My Home phone is: 281.438.9096

I'd like your Whaler Central handle, real name, phone, email address, size and model of Whaler, number in your party (including ages if children) and the things/activities YOU would like to do. I'd also like an approximate time when you would expect to arrive (at DUF's) on Saturday. Since it is a three day weekend a Sunday arrival will not be a problem.

You will be responsible for your accomodations and food. Corpus and the surrounding area have plenty of hotels, motels and cottages.

You DO NOT have to be from Texas to join in (we'll baptize you in the Gulf) or bring your Whaler (there will be plenty of room on someone else's). The main purpose is to meet and greet and have a good time (of course one of the main activtives DUF and I have discussed is a barbeque at his place and PLENTY of drinking and bragging).

Please use the thread to trade ideas about the event.

As things and participants come together I'll update the thread as well.

If I've left something out email me or scream at me in the thread.

(Bob, you can edit your post here to keep an ongoing count of people that are planning on attending. Just add to this list below.)

List of members planning to attend with boats.

1. Bob Younger
2. Duf
3. CES
4. RLWhaler
5. TexasOutrage
6. Blue_Northern
7. JVZ
8. Paul Graham (maybe)

Edited by Bob Younger on 03/08/08 - 4:11 AM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/08 - 5:15 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Bob,

My wife and I are thinking about it and will let you know via this thread.
Please keep a running list of who is going to attend.

jvc (Jeff) has invited us on his Whaler but want to make sure he is going to make sure we have a spot. I would like to move from boat to boat if there is room so I can talk with as many members as possible...
So, please keep us informed here on this thread.
Thanks

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/26/08 - 11:58 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I think everyone here would like to see a list of the people that plan on attending.

1. Bob Younger
2. Duf

I have closed the other thread and put a link on the other thread to point to this one as this seems to have the dates included in the first post by Bob.

CES
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/26/08 - 12:58 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Count me in!

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

RLwhaler
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/26/08 - 7:10 PM

Comments: 4

Bob,..you know i'am in.Plus,a few guys that i know from Tiki Island.I'll have to confirm with them though.

Best,
Richard

Bob Younger
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 4:01 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Richard!

You are a welcome addition and I know the other attendees will certainly want to meet you and learn all they can about all your Whalers and the marvelous facility you have for working on them.

Which Whaler will you be bringing and how many will be in your party (let me know number of children and ages in case you are going to bring any of your 'rug rats'Wink?

I'm getting a draft agenda put together and will get it in this thread by early next week. Of course this will be subject to change as comments are made.

TexasOutrage
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 6:31 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I am planning on attending. I will come down by boat from Rockport if there is room to dock.

Blue_Northern
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 6:58 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

I think we are going to come down for part of the time. Do not think we will be spending the night but you never know. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of Whalers in one place -- I have to get busy on my clean up. Bob I will send you my details like requested above.

Rob

John Fyke
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 10:20 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

CES wrote:
Count me in!

Shock

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

RLwhaler
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 9:48 PM

Comments: 4

Sounds great Bob,Adrian will be in the lo pro,my brother will bring the 13,and i'am dying to run that Sakonnet.Adrian's been pretty busy as you can see Wink
It'll be great to put some faces together to some screen/names/boats.

Joe,you're more than welcome to pick and choose at your disposal out of these three boats.Hell,run them ALL! Joe Kriz,boat-less in Texas coast?are you kidding me?Smile

Best Regards,
Richard

CES
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/08 - 6:25 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Hope there's enough room to dock my little 13' !!! Can't wait for the event to happen...making plans right now.

Cliff

Bob Younger
#12 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/08 - 8:10 AM
Personal Page

CES - not to worry about the 13. RLWhaler is going to bring his 13 (plus a rug rat or two). He may also bring a couple of other Whalers as well (did I mention he's a Whaler fanactic?)

CES
#13 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/08 - 9:35 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Bob. Are you aware of any inexpensive places to stay nearby Dufs house? I was in Corpus once about five years ago with the Navy however I do not know the area at all. Is there a boat ramp nearby?

I am bringing my 4 and 6 year old critters with me too so I am glad to hear there's going to be a few rug rats there for mine to wrestle with.

Seems like this is going to be a nice events. The kids, which include myself, are VERY excited about it.

Edited by CES on 02/28/08 - 9:36 AM
Cliff

Bob Younger
#14 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/08 - 10:38 AM
Personal Page

There is a NAS in Corpus but I'm not sure about housing
start here for more info on the NAS:
http://www.nascc.navy.mil/

There are several surrounding towns (Portland, Fulton, Rockport). My wife and I stayed at Bayfront Cottages in Fulton many, many years ago. They are straight out of the 50's and a hoot. Right now I have no idea if they are even there anymore but I suspect we will start there. You can bring up the web page for these cities and browse to see what accommodations they have. Let the fingers do the walking. You may also want to give DUF a PM and see what recommendations/ideas he may have.

DUF is going to take care of the ramps/launching facilities. You may also want to use a map finder (mapquest?), they're all good, to see where DUF's house is (I got a photo view and it is really nice). You can also get driving directions from one of these tools.

Me, I get enough information to get me some place and then head out. The rest is an adventure sometimes leading to some real fun.

Yep, looks like there will be several children from the responses I'm getting so the planning/agenda will definitely include them.

More and more is coming together as I get feed back. God and my wife willing I can get the outline of an agenda posted this weekend or early next week.

Thanks for the enthusiasm! Pass it along to other members or other Whaler owners.

TexasOutrage
#15 Print Post
Posted on 02/28/08 - 6:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Memorial Weekend can get very crowded in the Rockport/Fulton and Port Aransas areas. There are several hotels on South Padre Island Drive (SPID) in Corpus Christi that would be close to Duf's. I would suggest booking something as early as you can to make sure you get a place.

Rockport/Fulton has a new Hampton Inn (361 727 2228) that is nice and there is always the Laguna Reef (361 729 1742) in Rockport. There are some nice cottages in Fulton for a whole family....let me know if you're interested and I'll get the name and number. These would of course be a fairly long drive to Duf's. I am launching from Key Allegro Marina in Rockport and running to Duf's via the Intracoastal Canal.

duf
#16 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 4:01 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Hey guys, back from the latest trip, and last for a while i hope. I have numbers for several hotels, but will see if i can get a great deal for volume as soon as we have some fairly firm numbers in to get everyone to the same place, and have it close to where i plan on all to launch. So please get your notices in so i can negotiate. If your retired military, NAS Corpus Christi is only about 10/12 miles from my place, so is a great place to stay. If your a camper, plenty of facilities on the island for camping, tons of folks camp right on the beach and it is legal.
Bob, my family is coming down during the week of 25 March so seeing the huge interest in this event, i think you and your wife should look at the weekend after that 6/7 april? to come down, do our dry run and put the final plans in place. So, check your schedule and see how that works.

Duf Cool

Joe Kriz
#17 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 5:45 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Duf and Bob,

My wife and I have most likely decided to wait until next year.
We would like to make it next year if this is going to be an annual event.
That way, you should have experience under your belt and tell the rest of us the best places to stay. The first get together is usually the hardest to coordinate.

Plane fares for me are around $425 (each) to San Antonio
Hotels = http://travel.wwte1.com/pub/agent.dll...i=1&aasl=1
Rental Car from San Antonio = ?????

jvz
#18 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/08 - 8:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Joe
Did you try Southwest ... they fly into Corpus ..... just a thought

We would all like to see you and your wife attend ...

Bob Younger
#19 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/08 - 6:06 PM
Personal Page

Well, the 'agenda' is slowly coming together. I'm going to DUF's the first weekend in April and we'll be touring and talking (some drinking too) after which I'll post some directions and ideas.

Right now we're meeting at DUF's at 1 p.m. Saturday, May 24th. We'll launch, and do a 'tour' of the area. At 5 p.m. we'll gather at DUF's for a barbeque. We're asking that you bring your own meat and would like to ask each attendee to bring a side dish. DUF says he's famous for his beans. My wife is famous for anything she cooks but is thinking about some gumbo. In fact we've asked my wife, Kathy, to coordinate some of the barbeque details. If you (or your significant other) is famous for a side dish let us know now either though the thread or you can email me. If you have ideas about the barbeque let me know.

Sunday we'll meet at 10:00 for breakfast at DUF's. He says he has all the fixin's for an all american breakfast (bacon, eggs, sausage, etc). After breakfast we'll go fishing, cruising, water sports, what-have-you. In other words, we'll all do what we want to do.

We want an agenda where we can all meet at specific times to visit and see the Texas Whaler Fleet but otherwise it is open so each can follow their desires.

We'll have several children (six at last count), there are places where they can play and swim.

DUF and I visit each weekend to update each other and to trade ideas. If you have ideas (or inquiries) let me know.

DUF maybe able to get us a good group rate at a hotel (there is a new one going up that he may approach). If you want to try this then let me know ASAP so arrangements can be made. Padre gets crowded on Memorial Day so we need to move on this quickly.

CES
#20 Print Post
Posted on 03/21/08 - 7:35 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Clock's ticking down! This is going to be a great weekend!!

Cliff

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 13, 2024 - 10:00 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,416,175 unique visits