View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
fuel leaking inside motor?
beanieb0y
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/20/08 - 11:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

i had my whaler for a year now and while i had the motor cover open with the engine running i notice that the fuel line inside the motor was leaking gas. a good amount too. i would always go thru 6g of gas on every trip that i go out. i would say atleast 1 hr to 1 hour 30min of traveling on the boat. anyway my motor is a 2 stroke mercury 80hp. not too sure on the year but i would say in the 80s. i just wrap some of those white tape thing around it a couple times and then wrap black tape around that. is there any other way i can fix it? some kind of seal i can use?

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/20/08 - 12:50 PM

Comments: 34

I would not continue to run the motor until the fuel line is replaced. Not only do you have a HUGE fire risk on your hands and it is polluting the water but you are probably running the carb(s) that is is supplied by the line VERY LEAN. Because of this the cylinders that are supplied by that carb are surely running very hot and under oiled. Remove the line and go to any marine or automotive supplier store and get yourself a new section of hose. Replace both the hose and any clamps that hold the hose. It is just a good practice.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

ioptfm
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/20/08 - 1:59 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Like Jeff said replace the fuel lines and go ahead and replace all of them at the same time. Not hard to do and you probably have an inline fuel filter and it could be cracked so I would replace the entire housing on it also. You're not talking about a lot of $$$ or a lot of time to do this. You could cut a small pc of the fuel line off and take it to a auto parts house and get the line and probably the filter also. Just make sure you remeber how it was routed so you won't have confusion putting it back on. Also make sure the flow direction is correct on the filter

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

danedg
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/20/08 - 6:07 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

I've got one of those motors....
There's a small fuel line in the front of it ...maybe 1/8"...that delivers the unspent fuel from the top o' the motor down to the bottom.
It has tiny little brass fittings for the old neoprene tube originally installed...'
You will break them off if you dont go in there like a brain surgeon...I know...I did...pain in the ass!
In the meantime...it spewed fuel mixture ALL over everything...messy....
Check it out...carefully....and replace..
as well as the 5/16'" main lines...
Check your fuel line and bulb from the tank as well....

beanieb0y
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/08 - 7:57 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

danedg wrote:
I've got one of those motors....
There's a small fuel line in the front of it ...maybe 1/8"...that delivers the unspent fuel from the top o' the motor down to the bottom.
It has tiny little brass fittings for the old neoprene tube originally installed...'
You will break them off if you dont go in there like a brain surgeon...I know...I did...pain in the ass!
In the meantime...it spewed fuel mixture ALL over everything...messy....
Check it out...carefully....and replace..
as well as the 5/16'" main lines...
Check your fuel line and bulb from the tank as well....

yes i think it is the same fuel line you are talking about. it is the fuel line that goes from the top to the bottom. there is no crack on the tube but it leaks right at the bottom where the brass fitting is at. i think there wasnt a tight seal when the brass fitting and the tube was attached together.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 6:32 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Jgb333
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,103
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,518,664 unique visits