View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
17' montauk full restoration
globko
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/06 - 10:06 AM

Comments: 0

i am about to receive a 1977 montauk 17 as a gift. the boat has been in the water for the last 5 years and is in less than ideal shape. i plan on stripping the hull completely and starting a restoration from the deck up, all new hardware, new seat, engine, steering, teak trim, rod holders, electronics, new paint, gelcoat ect. it will be my newest project.

i know there is very little water damage, so most of the work to the topside of the hull is cosmetic. i plan on repainting the whole boat, and before i work on the topside, i would fill holes, cracks, dings, ect.

my question is, can i use a bondo type fiberglass reinforced autobody filler to fix these smaller cosmetic issues on the topside, out of the water?

what kind of paint would you recommend for the topside and to the waterline on the outside of the hull?

after i paint the hull, what type of gelcoat is recommended?

this is my first project of this kind, so i am feeling it out as i go.

i was thinking of putting a 90HP ETEC saltwater on it with hydraulic steering, would this be a good match for this boat?

im sure i will be back to this forum many times for advice as i continue this project.

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/06 - 1:08 PM

Comments: 34

First off welcome,

You have a large project ahead of you but when done it will be worth every minute spent.

First off I would not recommend using a "Bondo" body filler like product. I would use a 2 part (west systems) epoxy mixed with cabosil or matte to fill and scratches, cracks, etc. Then sand / grind it smooth. However, some people do use body filler I just do not like to use large ares of it on marine projects. If you do use body filler I like using Evercoat. I think it sands easier than bondo. (here is a description of cabosilhttp://www.eagerplastics.com/cab.htmom/cab.htm)

Once you have sanded out the hull smooth I would not paint but gelcoat. Painting the hull is the same as gelcoating it. However paint is not as durable as gelcoat.

I would look at getting some gelcoat from http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ and spraying the hull topside and outside of hull with it. I know others here have sprayed gel coat I have not. So I have no first hand knowledge of spraying it but I have painted many things with automotive paint. Just like paint you will need to thin out the gel coat and spray with an HVLP gun.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Look forward to seeing some images of the boat and your progress.

Cheers
Jeff

Edited by Jeff on 02/21/06 - 1:18 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/06 - 5:47 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

globko,

I used to own a 1978 Montauk for 15 years. It had the 70 hp Evinrude on it and the power was adequate for me. I did however always want a little more power and the 90 would be a great choice.
Many people feel the E-Tec 90 hp is a great choice for the 17 foot models.
Here is one example of a Montauk that another member here has installed the 90 hp model.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...?user_id=7

If you are replacing the entire steering system, I would recommend the Bay Star Hydraulic Steering System from Teleflex. Visit their site here:
http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/BAYSTA...aystar.htm
There are other members here that have installed the Baystar system and swear by it.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 7:50 PM
Users Online
Welcome
twalker
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,106
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,527,792 unique visits