View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Outrage 20 drain plugs ...
Poppy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/06 - 11:25 AM

Comments: 0

Hello all -- just joined this site today -- glad I found it. I've owned 2 Montauks (86, 92), and loved them both.

I presently own a '97 20' Outrage (love it, too) and I'm quite confused about all the drain plugs ... which to leave in, leave out, or just throw away <g>.

I've seen a couple old threads on the subject on 'ContinuousWave', but didn't really get my questions answered.

Anyboby out there have the definitive word on what to do with all the drain plugs?

Thanks for your help.

Poppy

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/06 - 12:06 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Poppy,

I am not familiar with the newer Outrage 20. I did own a 1989 Outrage 20 though.
I know all of the Outrage 20's are self baling so you really don't need to have any drain plugs in unless you want to keep a certain area dry. I had two drain plugs in my 20. One up front in the large locker area and one in the rear sump. I always left both of my plugs in because I wanted to keep the boat dry. I also had a bilge pump in both areas just in case it rained or I took a small wave into the boat.

I guess it is entirely up to you and what you want to keep dry and/or how you use the area where the drain plugs are.

Poppy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/06 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

I do have a bilge pump in the motor/spashwell sump, but I don't care if the bilge is 'dry' so long as I don't have water flooding onto the deck, which I don't think will happen because of the buoyancy of the hull. Makes me wonder why I even need a pump, because when the boat is not in the water, it's on a trailer with all plugs out.

The in-deck fishwells are another matter. With plugs out (two in each box, one in the floor, one in the aft wall), the compartments fill with water, then empty underway. Icing down our catch becomes very problematic with sea water constantly flowing in and out.

I saw a thread on continuous wave wherein a guy who fished the Bering Sea in an Outrage for 15 years said he NEVER had a plug in his boat -- kinda scares me, but he sounded pretty darn credible.

Poppy

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/06 - 12:49 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Poppy,

Everyone uses their fishwells differently. You can use them for semi-dry storage if you leave the plugs in. You can also keep ice in there if you leave the plugs in but the ice melts if you let water run in there without the plugs. I used to pull the plug and let the water in, and then put the plug in. This way I could keep fish alive in there for awhile. Lots of different ways of doing it.

drd
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/06 - 8:43 AM

I have the same boat. I usually keep the drain plugs in the indeck fish boxes in. The ice will last longer that way. I also keep the the foward storage compartment plug in. The motor well drains I leave open. Hope this helps.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 9:53 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhturner
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,111
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,563,546 unique visits