View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Teleflex
dmames08
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 9:00 PM

Comments: 0

I believe this boat has a teleflex steering system. I have disconnected the motor and can swing it freely but for some reason the steering is locked up any one have any suggestions

dmames08
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 9:02 PM

I have pictures if any one could look at them and possibly help

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 9:11 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

dmames,

It would have been much better if you would have posted this in your original post that everyone has been responding to.

Now, there is nothing wrong on the engine part. But, we still don't know what type of steering you have... Cable and pulley system or the single Teleflex steering cable system.

Yes, please post some photos here.

See your original post here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ead_id=306

dmames08
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 9:57 PM

How do i go about posting a pic to the thread

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/06 - 10:02 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

dmames,

Take a look at the FAQ section. It should help you.
http://www.whalercentral.com/faq.php?...p?cat_id=3

If you need further help, let us know

dmames08
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/06 - 8:43 PM

Cable

dmames08 attached the following image:

[33.02Kb]

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/09/06 - 9:13 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

dmames,

Great, now we know what you have. The single cable teleflex.
You need to take the cable out of the steering tube. It is probably frozen inside there so it might not be easy. Take the port nut off first along with the steering linkage and then loosen and take off the starboard (large) nut. The whole assembly should slide out of the tilt tube unless it is frozen. You might have to pound it out with something almost the same size.. WD40, Liquid Wrench, or something equivalent to soak it for a couple of days.

The red cable has a shaft on the end that goes through the tilt tube and comes out the other end which you can see. This is what is probably frozen and should come out and either cleaned or replaced.

Jeff
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/06 - 6:36 AM

Comments: 34

dmames,

Everything joes has said is correct. You probally should replace the entire kit. I bet the cable in the red hosing is also rusted and could be a potential seizing problem or it could just break on the inside and then you lose steering.

Before you go to get it out of the tilt tube, use a loosing agent like Joe said. I have to recommend PB parts blaster penetrating oil. This stuff loosened nuts on old exhaust systems etc. that the others just cold not. Spray the whole area a couple times a day. Then just before you try to remove it, you see that little zert nipple on the tilt tube (right below where your swing arm connects to the motor in your image). Get a grease gun and keep pumping grease into that fitting tilt it starts flowing out the side. It should come out no problem with a BFH and a block of wood.Grin

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Tom W Clark
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/10/06 - 7:28 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I agree with most of the advice posted above. While it may be true the cable is due for replacement and an entire kit may be in order, the first thing to do is get the steering cable out of the motor's tilt tube. If I were a betting man, I'd bet it is the tilt tube itself that is holding onto the cable.

The force a little bit of rust can exert on these cables is amazing. Definitely use penetrating oil and heat if necessary and be prepared to use a large hammer and block of wood as Jeff describes.

Be warned: The cable will not come out of the tilt tube with the motor bolted to the transom. You must, at the very least, loosen the mounting bolts especially the port ones so the motor can tilt away from the transom. You want the tilt tube to be pointed a little bit forward otherwise the notch in the transom will prevent the cable from coming out.

Once you get the cable out you can decide if the cable itself is buggered and needing replacement or if it is just the tilt tube that needs reaming and greasing. In bad cases a very long twist drill bit can be used to ream out the rust in the tilt tube.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 02/10/06 - 3:01 PM

MW
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/13/06 - 3:33 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Follow the above advice, on my Whaler (15'Wink the teleflex cable is so low to the water line, that it takes quite a bit of splash from the Bay during the summer, I usually replace the whole thing every few years, it's easy, you can do it yourself. The cables last a bit longer if you turn the wheel hard to "PORT" when not using the boat. This pulls the cable into it's protective sleeve, and keeps water and dirt out when not in use. Cable replacement is a common problem on my boat, I just unbolt it every few years, toss it, and replace w/ a new one, cost is a bit over $100, It's just part of my maint. schedule.

MW

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 7:51 PM
Users Online
Welcome
twalker
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,106
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,527,796 unique visits