View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Advice on buying a 1978 Outrage 21
flippa
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/07/06 - 11:15 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I recently found a 1978 21' Outrage that I am going to buy, pending an evaluation of the engines. The boat is complete, has most of the original pieces and parts, and appears to be in overall good condition for being 28 years old. It is powered by a 2000 150 hp Mercury Optimax a tandem axle keel roller bunk trailer (probably original to the hull, not pretty but in decent shape).

In reading the past posts and searching online, I have a fairly good idea what I should expect to find, and what I should be looking for on a boat of this vintage, but could use some more advice/help.

The hull has some chips and scratches, and is missing some gellcoat in a few spots on the edges of the chines above the waterline, but no obvious damage to the hull below the waterline. It has been bottom painted in the past, which is in fair to poor condition. The hull has not been painted, and the gellcoat is quite faded, but is in decent condition. The interior deck has been painted.

On the interior, it appears that most of the penetrations have been caulked/sealed over the years. There are not any major cracks in the sides or in the deck. The floor over the tank feels solid, but looks warped at the front and rear. I believe that it does have the origonal fuel tank. The boat was repowered in 2001, and the transon top edge has a fiberglass repair across the entire rear edge. The transom appears solid and doesn't flex at all when picking up on the engine. There are no other stress cracks or obvious damage other than the ugly repair job to the top edge. All of the older penetrations have been sealed. The tru hull drain is missing it's brass liner tube at the sump drain; the wood feels damp but is not soft at all.

I am going to have a local mechanic check out the condition and compression on the engines. Are there any major problems to be concerned about with the 2000 150-HP OptiMax? Will the mechanic be able to check the hours on this motor? I do not know a thing about Mercury engines, have always had OMC's on my boats. The console has a supply of Mercury brand gear fluid and oil, so I assume that it has been run with the OEM recommended fluids.

I had been looking for a "newer" classic outrage, but the condition of this hull and the newer engines are what attracted me to this boat. I have read about how rough these ride, but I am moving up from a 1987 Montauk, so I imagine that this boat will have a similar ride.

I would appreciate any pointers or advice at what else I should be looking at.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 30, 2024 - 9:59 PM
Users Online
Welcome
MillenniumMan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,036
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,188,939 unique visits