View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2008 Potomac Swim for the Environment
Yiddil
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/04/08 - 9:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Anyone interested in participating as a Safety Boat Person with/ or with out a Boat, contact me Back Channel....
I dont have a solid date as of yet but will keep you posted as I have been talking to the event people. I am assuming it will be around the same time this year as last in June, right before the bay swim...which a lot of us do alsoSmile as safety boats.

But Cheryl asked me to ask around and see who is available again this year....as she is getting started with signing people up for the swim.

I am offering anyone who wants to a place to stay and launch from in Virginia, about an hour from the swim event location by boat and we could make it a rend. as well, plenty of dock tie ups, slips, launching accomadations and it would be fun...could head down to the swim that morning or as I did last year the afternoon before. There is space at Schiebels and the state park to tie up as usual. Takes about an hour at 25 knots...

Just for your edification...and posibilities abound...

keeps me warm thinking about boating againSmile

I will post more when I know more....My Best, Henry

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/05/08 - 2:20 PM
Personal Page

Boaters, Paddlers, Safety Personnel....

We need your help! Volunteer to help the Potomac River Swim for the Environment.

• The Saturday, May 31, 2008 Potomac River Swim for the Environment needs boaters, touring kayak paddlers, and public safety workers to ensure the success of this distance swim, which raises funds and awareness for the health of the river.

• Free lodging is available for boaters at Scheible’s Motel and free camping is available for paddlers at Point Lookout State Park on Friday and Saturday nights.

• $50 towards gas expenses will be given to each boater.

• A complimentary pasta supper will be served Friday, May 30, 2008, at the water safety planning meeting at 6:30 p.m., at the Trinity Parish Hall in St. Mary's City. Directions are on the website at: http://artemis.crosslink.net/~cherylw/pr2008i.htm

• Boaters and paddlers will report to the swimming beach or Marina (TBD) at Pt. Lookout State Park at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday May 31. Swimmers will be accompanied by individual kayakers who will keep them on course and give them food and water. Boaters will be asked to sweep throughout the course to ensure that any swimmers who need to be evacuated can be transported to shore.

• A free picnic sponsored by the Potomac River Association and Southern Maryland Sierra Club, who benefit from the pledge money raised by the swimmers, will follow the swim. T-shirts designed by local artist Jeanne Hammett to commemorate the event will be distributed to all involved.

• To volunteer or receive more information, about this 15th annual event, contact:
Potomac River Swim for the Environment

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

kiteboarder
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/02/08 - 2:09 PM

Comments: 0

Henry,
How is this shaping up? I have not been involved with it in the past but it has been in the back of my mind since I read this. Do you have enough boats? I have a 22' outrage and was thinking that this would be fund to do with the wife and kids (5-7 yrs). What would be expected of us (time comitment etc.) Thanks for the info.

Steve

Yiddil
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/02/08 - 6:28 PM
Personal Page

"How is this shaping up? I have not been involved with it in the past but it has been in the back of my mind since I read this. Do you have enough boats? I have a 22' outrage and was thinking that this would be fund to do with the wife and kids (5-7 yrs). What would be expected of us (time comitment etc.) Thanks for the info."

Steve
Steve, we have 8 boats and 2 on the fence. We definatly need more so you would be welcomed to join us and we could use the help. I would suggest you email me back channel so we can discuss it further.

I need to know where you are putting in from.. Park? or somewhere else? we have people trailering down to Schiebels and or the park, whalering down from up the river anywhere from 1-3 hours also. Its a Friday evening till sat nite/sunday morning type commitment were looking for...(most of the weekend)

Not trying to diswade you but weather and ruff water is a concern especially if you have two toddlers with you. Can get pretty ugly out their for 5 hours of watching long distance swimmers,

We will all meet of Friday nite for dinner and the "walk through" on safety concerns, and were up at 6am for the swim setup, and out until maybe 2pm sat afternoon. Long day and a half...Not sure thats a good formula for two toddlers 5 and 7.

Our job is to keep the paddlers and swimmers safe, pull them if need be, and get everyone home safe, including the Whaler fleet.

email me back channel and we can discuss it further...Hope to have you aboardSmile Henry

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/09/08 - 5:39 PM
Personal Page

Just a quick Update, we now have 9 boats, 2 on the fence, 2 40+ footers, Skipjack, DNR, CG, CGAUX, around 45 swimmers, and around 45 KYakersSmile
This is getting big! We have 5 Boston WHalers from this and other whaler site coming down to Das HOuse to make the trip by Whaler on May 30th, some are coming to Das HOuse by BOat so we are going to make it a three part event and do a lot of whalering all around. Anyone who would like to join us, please don't hesitate, You will have a great time and experience. Free T shirts, Friday NIte dinner at the historic Trinity Church, Party at Das House, Free dock space at Schiebels, Point Lookout DNR Docks etc etc etc..and MoreSmile Come join the funSmile

Email me back channel if interestedSmileCool

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/08 - 6:17 PM
Personal Page

An email packed with information was sent to all boaters who have signed up regardless of how your going to make it to the event...All boaters need to provide me BACK CHANNEL with phones numbers, Boat discription and numbers for DNR docking at the state park and contact information should it be needed. Please don't post it in any public forum...back Channel me at my email addy...thanks....were almost theirSmile Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/08 - 8:31 PM
Personal Page

Okay1 As mac says it "were getting down to Short strokes on this event.
Please provide me BACK CHANNEL the following contact information

home phone
cell phone
address
emergency contact person

(These will be used to contact you or send you stuff)

Hull NUmber
Discription of vessel

(These will be used to inform DNR, racecomm, and set up for docking)

Again, only provide this to me via email BACK CHANNEL.

I will need this information as soon as you can provide it.

When I get this, i will send everyone an email with important coordinates, map sites and my contact information, radio channel information, etc... so we can talk to everyone prior to the Swim Event(very important) during travel to and from to insure safety of allSmile

thnaks in advance...Henry

Please check your email accounts as you have mail and important information for your eyes onlySmilePlease don't share personal information with people you dont know personnallySmileIf you are asked, send them to me...has happened once already.....
Get those boats ready...closing in on a month or so before the event...MY BESt, Henry

justa quick update...Spoke to Scott tonight and he's a clear "Maybe I'll come downj and help out" statusSmile
I was glad to hear it's not a positive no still....I hope he shows, wouldn't be the same without himSmile he is invited down to do it from "Das HOuse"

Have not heard from the other fence sitters...but I'm always hopeful.

WEather is still abit unstable to say the least, but aqueezing in a bit here and their and getting planning completed for the Swim.

1 month to go so if anyone has something to add, email me back channel. Also, any issues you need help with, let me know.

Okay..things to bring to das House....

1-Drinks, soda, beer, hard stuff, whatever

If everyone wnats to have a cookout lunch sunday, we will need to hit the stores for bugers hoitdogs, rolls, chips etcSmile i figure we can do the cookout sunday as some will want to stay at schiebels Sat. after the swim (weather permitting) let me know what you preferSmile, Ive got a webber for cooking, and two freezers and fredges in the garage...plenty of roon for food stocksSmile

I would bring an extra gas can if you have one just in case....

And i would bring clothing for dry and wet weather both just in case, hats, sunscreen and bug spray!unless you want to be uncomfortableSmile

Ill keep think out laud as we get closer to show timeSmile

My BEst, Henry aka The Yiddil

PS, If I dont have your contact info, send it to me..especially if your needing docking space at DNR, they will need me to submit boat number registrations, type of boat, and name...

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/04/08 - 4:10 AM
Personal Page

Okay...update...KAmie in!!! Need a few moreSmile Comeon people ...this is the best time youl have all boating seasonSmile)) back channel meSmile

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/09/08 - 7:03 PM
Personal Page

NEED Two More BOats and crew...common people...come join the fun!!!

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Jeff
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/09/08 - 7:34 PM

Comments: 34

Henry,

You should send Jim Dunlap (Kamie know him as well) an email. Tell him to get that show piece of a classic 21 revenge off the trailer and on the water.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Yiddil
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/09/08 - 8:22 PM
Personal Page

Jeff, thanks, i sent him an email...we need maybe two more boats to fill all the gaps for this swim event. We have a large body of swimmers and Paddlers this year and could use the extra help...Thnaks Henry

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/10/08 - 8:24 AM
Personal Page

jeff, he's pre-engagged...but thanks...we will keep looking...This is sucha great event....lots of boating and great boaters....im sure we will find a few more

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Yiddil
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/08 - 6:21 PM
Personal Page

The event went well, 46 swimmers, 65 paddlers...lots o ruff water...long story,,,,

Henry AKA THE YIDDIL

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 9:06 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,512,590 unique visits