View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
A life on the water
Jeff
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/06 - 2:21 PM

Comments: 34

I ran across this picture while cleaning out my desk at home. Times seemed so much simpler then. In 1993 I was 16 and had no worries.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jeff_rohlfing/dads%20whaler/15SSlow.jpg[/IMG]
The only thing on my mind then was getting our 15SS out on the water and trying to set a new speed record in the open wake zone just out of the marina where we kept our boat in Port Huron. The best I got was around 60mph (off the peedo tube speedo) just me 3 gallons of gas and a 75hp merc on full trim. Fun times.

My brother and I on the first ride
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jeff_rohlfing/dads%20whaler/15SSmeandtim.jpg[/img]

Then in 1995 we progressed to the Montauk. I ran that thing up and down the southern coast of Lake Huron. I drove it all the way across Lake Erie with my brother. Some of my other great memories are leaving out of Frankfort and riding along the Platte River and Sleeping Bear National Lake Shore (Lake Michigan) with my Dad and Brother, sometimes Mom and other friends would join for the rides.

My dad took this picture just North of Port Huron. That is me in my younger years.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jeff_rohlfing/dads%20whaler/MeonHuron3.jpg[/img]

Of course growing up with whalers I always dreamed of owning my own whaler. A 22' outrage to be specific. Then back on 04 I found it and had to get it. I took my dad and wife along for the sea trail and bought it. Not the most practical purchase if you know what I mean. But, hey when is a good time to buy a boat?

My dad took this picture in July 04 during the day I took him to Put-In-Bay for the day. PIB is on South Bass Island of the coast of Ohio in Lake Erie.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jeff_rohlfing/whaler/IMG_0557.jpg[/img]

Through all of this I have begun to see something about the water that I guess I just took for granted. It really is Therapy. Growing up as I did I feel more at home on the water than I do on land. I feel like I am with family. My grandfather who died when I was a year old always had boats while my father was growing up. My father always boats that we as a family would vacation on as well as the whalers. Now I have a whaler. A boat that I named after me grandfather's boat, Hells Bells. I named it because of the time my father and I put into restoring it. Kind of an homage to Grandpa, so every time I get on my boat I am spending the day with him.

3 years and 3 months ago my brother was hit by a car while on his bicycle riding to a friends home in Kalamazoo where he was going to school. Since then he has been in and out of hospitals for about 10+ months of that time. His last stay was from the middle of last Oct till this afternoon 2/3/06. From the accident he has been left in a wheel chair with very limited use of his arms and hands and no feeling or movement from the pectoral muscles down. He can not live on his own and never will be able to in his current state. This has left me in a funk for some time now. I tears me up seeing my brother in the condition he is in (I can only image how he feels),also my parents who help care for him have been left in the same funk if not worse. Some loved ones and friends have said to me that maybe it would be worth while seeing someone to talk about this. Well I think I have finally figured out what we need to feel better about the situation.

My dream is to be able to have him out again on the boat again with myself and our Father. To me I think that is what we all need to feel like things are getting back to normal. What ever normal it these days. Back to a happier place. Home.

OK well, I started writing this post as a post remembering growing up but I kept going, writing what I thought, and well here you have it. I debated whether to post it as is or change it. I want to keep it as is. It is more personal than I like to be but, I feel it serves a purpose. The water is a special place. A place holds a lot of stories, love, and memories in its depths to the people those who live with it.

Cherish the memories of being on the water, especially of loved ones. Always take the time to create new memories when ever possible. They are not only memories that you will cherish but, the ones out with you will hold them close to there hearts as well.

Cheers,
Jeff

Edited by Jeff on 02/10/06 - 2:46 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Mambo Minnow
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/06 - 3:28 PM

Comments: 7

Jeff = your story touched my heart so much I showed my wife. We just sold my Dauntless and I got a Conquest, mostly because I wanted my entire large family on the water with me to make some new memories. I have many great memories with my dad on a 13 Classic, then a Montauk. That ad campaign "water works wonders" I think hits the mark with many of us.
I see so many of my comrades coming home from war disabled, that I can relate to that too. It's staggering how many alive, but maimed veterans we have now. I hope they don't end up destitute and homeless like many Vietnam vets! There is much to forget about when on the water...I cherish the peace and solitude.

Jeff
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/06 - 7:32 PM

Comments: 34

Mambo,

Thanks...

Glad to hear you did end up with a Conquest!

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

danedg
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/06 - 5:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Jeff,
Nice story...great shots. I think we're all in agreement that Life On The Water is therapeutic. I think writing about it is just as healing. I realize now that my Personal Page (2 63's) is probably more personal than I normally let on about...but it was very satisfying to get the story out there and share it with others...
My nephew Christopher, was born with no hands or feet. At age 4 he was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. I am familiar with the anguish and fear for a loved one who's been dealt a rotten hand...
Throughout his short life, that kid never once complained about it, and to this day remains one of the most powerful people I've ever met, despite all his physical shortcomings. 350 people I'd never met, showed up at his Memorial, when we finally lost him at age 14...we're not supposed to bury our children. But he's in a better place now, fishing and boating with his beloved Grampa, finally free of the cursed wheelchair.
Whenever someone complains that they're having a rotten day, I tell them Christopher's story...and suddenly life ain't so hard. That's Christopher's gift to us...
Aw...there I go again...gettin' all personal!

Mike
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/06 - 8:44 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 1

Jeff,

I'm glad to hear your brother is back with you folks. That was a long stay for him and the rest of you. Those things really wear people down, everyone not just the patient. It's good that spring is just around the corner. You, your Dad and brother will have a heck of a good time on the Guardian.

Wishing you all the best,
Mike

Andrew
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/06 - 8:25 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

That was a really nice read. I have found that I am unhappy anytime that Im away from the water. Ive moved around a lot of my life due to my dad being in the Coast Guard and the ocean has always been the one constant. Its like my security blanket. Its been hard for me going to school inland, it has really effected my mind set and performance. I wonder if I can explain that on my resume anywhere? Cool Best of luck with your brother. It seems like you have found away to clear your head and find a happy spot though, which is something that many never do. You are atleast one up on the world. Smile

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 1, 2024 - 5:27 AM
Users Online
Welcome
aadams
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,037
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,195,141 unique visits