View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What did you do on your Whaler this weekend?
Andrew
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/30/06 - 7:42 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Thought this might be fun, not just repairs but outings and good trips as well.

I drove home for an absolutely beautiful Saturday. Pulled my brothers Harpoon out and removed all the stray junk out of it. Then I cleaned the heck out of it, wet sanded it, and buffed it till the rubbing compound ran out. Still not done, but better. It was about a 60 mile round trip for more compound Shock and I was not in the mood. So I moved on to the Nauset. Got the new trailer jack on the trailer and started to redo the window gaskets. Flushed the kicker, gave it a good wash down and changed the gear lube. Worked from about 8am to 5pm on both of them. Then I drank a lot of beer Wink

Here are some pics of my progress

Nauset:
http://www.mavawreck.com/gallery/My-b...t/000_0625

I made a stainless steel bezel for the trim and ignition switch, so I yanked the dash apart again.

One of the Harpoons:
http://www.mavawreck.com/gallery/My-b...t/000_0620

After some work:
http://www.mavawreck.com/gallery/My-b...t/000_0623

And I just like that photo, they look like they wanna play:
http://www.mavawreck.com/gallery/My-b...t/000_0617

If you could have seen the Harpoon before, it sat out in the Texas sun for atleast 10 years, mostly uncovered to our knowledge. It was originally purchased on South Padre and my brother picked it up in Seabrook. It was so bad it had some sort of black fungus growing on it. My brothers been redoing the wood in the unique way that he does things. she has a new mainsail, graphics, and enough parts to put together another kicker. I think this is the last boat im doin until somebody buys me a good buffer. Or starts payin for my beer.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew on 01/30/06 - 7:43 PM

Mike
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/06 - 8:15 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Andrew,

It looks like you did have some fun. That Harpoon is a pretty boat. It's nice to see that the Whalers hold the proper importance of requiring 2 stalls in the garage.

Up here in Minnesota it's still a little cool for such activities. But I have been having some fun thinking about things to come in the near future. Refinishing the hull on the Guardian. Getting the Powerwinch working correctly. I've been researching these things and others that I'll maybe never get around to. It's mostly Whaler related and helps keep the sanity (what there is left of it).

Mambo Minnow
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/31/06 - 3:57 PM

Comments: 7

I did the most fun event of all...bought my second Whaler after selling my first. It's a beautiful Great Lakes used Conquest 21, since my family grew to six the last seven years I owned my small Dauntless.

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/06 - 6:58 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

This year the todo list has shifted from the whaler to the new house. Since it's still too cold here to work on the whaler and it's still at the marina waiting on some final engine work, I can prime and paint the new house. Hopefully I will clear that todo list in time for spring when I can spend a weekend wet sanding the Outrage, patching holes and creating some openings in the teak risers under the stern seat so the water can get from the port to the starboard side and into the sump. Like Mike, I have been spending the hours between weekends researching a few mods to the boat, like trim tabs. Seriously considering adding them to the boat to resolve some issues with the t-top on an 18 foot boat.

Canibul
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/05/06 - 6:20 AM

Comments: 0

This weekend has been like most of them for the past five months, we took the Montauk outside the reef over near Pine Cay and trolled for whatever. Caught a nice cero mackerel. Then dropped the hook on a sandy patch in 45 ft. of water and dropped a weighted slip rig down next to a coral ledge, and pulled up a really nice Nassau grouper. Those two fish fed four of us, and the dog.

Its still weekend at the moment, thinking of going out and picking up a half dozen conch and being back well before Super Bowl. Go Steelers...Cool

Canibul
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/06/06 - 4:51 AM

Update,
Took two stepsons fishing outside the reef yesterday, trolling ballyhoo from the Montauk. Caught two nice barracuda ( we give them to the locals who eat them), saw a whale, and two dolphins. Came back in time to watch the Steelers win the Super Bowl.
Not a bad Sunday.

Canibul
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/07/06 - 11:04 AM

Nuther update, Monday took one stepson about 4 miles out onto Caicos Bank. Showed him what a conch looks like. Free diving, I picked up 8 conch for dinner. Tried tempura batter, was delicious.

Today, found out I have to go three islands over for surprise birthday party tonight, returning in the dark. Have never done that. Spent the morning fixing the anchor light ( what a piece of junk!) and the running light(s). Installed a 12v jack temporarily so we can use a plug-in spotlight tonight. will come back in the dark with GPS alone, between the reef and the beach. Should be an adventure.

Andrew
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 5:27 AM
Personal Page

Sounds like fun Canibul, I wish I got out as much as you did. I dont mind being in the dark in areas Im familiar with, your trip sounds a little bit more tricky. Fun just the same. Be safe.

Canibul
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 3:31 PM

We are on the water almost every day. have been seeing whales two of the last three days. Today was no fishing, mostly showing some small kids iguanas for the first time, and introducing a four year old nephew-in-law to the wonders of a glass bottom bucket.

cajunman
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 10:42 PM
Personal Page

Well i took a buddy out from Mission Bay in SoCal. for some fishing. Made it halfway to Lajolla when the motor died. Preliminary diagnosis from Sunset Marine is a bad fuel pump. So we dropped anchor,, threw out our lines and waited for Vessel Assist to pick us up. managed a couple of Calicos and one Ling Cod before our Tow boat showed up.

Brought us right back onto the trailer and went home to watch the Steelers take the Bowl
Cool

Andrew
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/12/06 - 6:02 PM
Personal Page

Well I didnt do as much as my dad did. He offered to take over varnishing the RPS for me on the Nauset awhile back. Its looking great but hes had a rough time with it. I guess at one point he had it up on a piece of plywood on two saw horses in our sunroom. Somehow he managed to get it off balance, the seat fell to the floor and launched a full pint of varnish into the air which lost all its contents and came flying down as well. Then add the worlds friendliest black lab into the equation. I am picturing something like a midevil catapult. Im glad I wasnt there for that, but at the same time what a thing it would have been to see. The seat survived with a few more character marks and its almost done. I fiddled with the new gauge panel a little bit and the center cap for the steering wheel and basically made plans to get most of it finished in mid march. Im ready to go boating.

seasicknes
#12 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/06 - 9:52 AM

well last week, I finished up my annual mantenance on my 170. Took her out to monterey bay for some sand dab fishing and also test out my Remote Throttle and Tie bar steering.

We caught 110 sand dabs and everything went well for the remote thrttle and tie bar steering. Kicker motor ran good.

Here are the links for the photos.
Kicker mount: http://photobucket.com/albums/y264/kjang/kicker%206hp%20Merc/kicker%20mount/

Tie Bar:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y264/kjang/kicker%206hp%20Merc/tie%20bar%20-%20front%20removable%20mount/

Remote Throttle:
http://photobucket.com/albums/y264/kjang/kicker%206hp%20Merc/remote%20throttle/

Ken (170 montauk / 22 hydrasports wa)

Andrew
#13 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/06 - 5:46 PM
Personal Page

Wow, that is really cool. Im def not up to date on all the marine tech but I didnt know there was anything out there like the remote throttle. Definetly useful though.

cedar creek sam
#14 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/06 - 6:25 PM

I scraped the barnacles off the rear, took off the GPs to download some new routes, didn't take the cans of decoys off....yet...wondered why my marina guy pulled the boat instead of leaving it in since it wasn't cold this winter....cleaned off the speedometer wheel so it turns again, barnacles again, and rhought about refinishing the teak....but resisted the idea.

Andrew
#15 Print Post
Posted on 03/19/06 - 9:36 PM
Personal Page

Went cruisin'...after working on it for many hours lol. And everytime I take it out, I find more things that need to be done.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 1, 2024 - 4:45 AM
Users Online
Welcome
aadams
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,037
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,194,553 unique visits