View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1987 13' super sport, driver bench seat question
zigzagwc
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/25/23 - 3:50 PM

Comments: 0

We picked up our new to us 13 SS this weekend. Overall it is in pretty nice condition, but the drivers bench seat has come loose. There are two stainless hinges that pulled out on the back side of the seat, but upon inspection - it appears that the front of the seat sits on a transverse piece of mahogany. One side of the mahogany board must have rotted out, so I will need to fabricate a replacement piece. This board has two clips that old pins on the underside of the seat to keep the seat "locked" in a closed position.

Anyway, my question is:

Does the weight of the seat ride on this board? I would have thought the seat sat on the side of the hull like the forward seat does. I didn't realize that these seats were hinged? Is that common to all super sports or did someone maybe modify mine to make it hinge? I know the rear (behind the backrest) hinges, but I didn't know the seat bench also opened.

Can anyone explain or maybe show me a picture of how that seat is supposed to look underneath?

Thanks

zigzagwc
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/26/23 - 3:05 PM

Comments: 0

Solved...

I found a few photos of two other SS boats that happened to have the seat hatch open. I saw how the seats are supported and that they indeed did have hinges.

Today, I fabricated the upper and lower seat "cleats" for both sides. The stainless screws that go into the upper cleat were still attache to the boat, but I guess the wood pieces rotted away.

While I was doing these repairs, I decided not to repair the screw holes in the hinges (seat and backrest). Instead, the are not through bolted. Problem solved forever with this quick fix.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 3:30 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,102,959 unique visits