View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
purchasing advice on 210 Ventura
gbennett
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/23 - 7:40 AM

Comments: 0

Hi all - could really use a few more opinions here.

Boat is 2002 Boston Whaler 210 Ventura powered by 200HP Merc Optimax. We live on the Hudson in NYC area and think this boat model is perfect for our family - sturdy, has a head (I know they rarely get used), good for running around local waterways or even boating out to Long Island and doing inshore fishing. It can grow with our young fam.

Owner had listed this boat for $30K including trailer. Trading for a pontoon boat. I eventually negotiated him down to $22K.

Pros
* Last 10 years in freshwater
* Vinyl not perfect but really solid and definitely doesn’t need to be redone yet
* Includes trailer

Cons
* Its first 10 years were in saltwater, albeit trailered
* 200HP Optimax hit 4900RPM at WOT. It’s missing 500-900RPM. While it hit 37 it should hit low 40s. Could be a coil, plug, fuel, prop… but it’s a risk. And I don’t think the compressor has been replaced yet.
* Very stiff throttle / remote control
* Missing antenna
* No trim tabs
* Passenger seat stuck and doesn’t fold down to bench
* Have to bottom paint it
* Pretty dirty in hatches and all around so needs detailing
* Tear on bow mooring cover

Ultimately the value of the decent vinyl and trailer and lack of saltwater for 10 yrs probably outweigh all the little things that need attention. But I’m losing sleep over the motor. What do you think??

here are some pics, didn’t take great ones https://imgur.com/a/NbGMSww

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/23 - 3:08 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Trust your gut.

Hull is great.

Concern on engine - old, not many work on Opti’s. Do you have a local mech lined up?
Keep in mind a new engine will run 22-25K.

Performance could be due to conservative mounting position. 2-holes up is recommended. Should have a good stainless prop.

Replace the cables.
Trim tabs run $1-1,200. Add after first year of ownership.
Plan to change ALL the through hull drains.
The seat is an issue of maintenance, Remove it and then service the aluminum hardware.

Trust your gut.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

gbennett
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/07/23 - 8:10 PM

Comments: 0

Phil T wrote:
Trust your gut.

Hull is great.

Concern on engine - old, not many work on Opti’s. Do you have a local mech lined up?
Keep in mind a new engine will run 22-25K.

Performance could be due to conservative mounting position. 2-holes up is recommended. Should have a good stainless prop.

Replace the cables.
Trim tabs run $1-1,200. Add after first year of ownership.
Plan to change ALL the through hull drains.
The seat is an issue of maintenance, Remove it and then service the aluminum hardware.

Trust your gut.

definitely appreciate that about trusting your gut.

when i first jumped on I thought - no way am i buying this. it was dirty from a season of use. missing antenna. windshield support was damaged. corrosion on windshield support brackets. some mildew spotting etc. lots of things that suggested a non-obsessive owner, contrary to listing.

but over time my gut has really changed to be 50/50. i don’t think it’s a lemon. i don’t believe that just because the owner wasn’t obsessive about keeping things tip-top that he treated his boat like crap either. many of the issues can be addressed and every 20 year old boat will come with trade offs. in this case the cushions are overall really solid (which is in some way telling of care), i’m getting a 3-4k trailer, the boat makes 37mph which may be suboptimal but it should perform well for many years with maintenance and potentially some repairs. if i’m paying the equivalent of 18-19k for the hull and have to repower for 15k w a 200hp 4s, well 33-34k is about market value for such a boat in today’s market anyway.

nonetheless it’s $22K cash so I will keep flip flopping until he finally asks me whether we have a deal or not =D

Edited by gbennett on 10/07/23 - 8:11 PM

BigWylie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/06/23 - 2:47 PM

Comments: 1

So? did you pull the trigger?
Did you make any offers? maybe make it oditional on a echanical review by merc tech< and a sea trial? Im picking up on this late...
Buy Im curious if you bought it?

I bought my 2001 Ventura 21 with 2001 OPTI DFI 200HP 485 hours
I had a great mechanic review the engine. Mercury has confirmed my AC is not part of the troubled ones( either replaced Or my engine was after they discovered it)

compression is what you need checked and when Fuel lines were last reviewed? If never, they will need replacing( Small issue)

the OPTI IS a great engine when maintained. Many still love them .
22k is avg for the year and condition. All boats need some love and it sounds like it is in great cond. Maybe $1K spent on a good mechanical overhaul will give you added peace of mind?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 3:04 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,102,614 unique visits