View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Boat Cover
dave_a
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/23 - 4:49 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 1964 Nauset. Can anyone recommend a cover company they have purchased from, and they are happy with the quality & longevity?
I do not intend to trailer with the cover.

I am finding the Nauset is no longer on cover manufacture's "radar" as a model. My closest 0model selection would an early Montauk with bow & side rails.
Thanks,
dave_a

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/23 - 5:06 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I can't omit the obvious choice, Mills Canvas, the original equiptment manufacturer for canvas products for decades.

Their tempates of the classics are the standard to which others are measured.

While their products are pricey, they last a long time and the quality is second to none.

www.millscanvas.com

I also have purchased from Carver.
www.boatcoversdirect.com is one good distributor.

Edited by Phil T on 08/24/23 - 3:43 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

dave_a
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/23 - 7:36 PM

Thanks Phil, I have spoken to Mills. Their cover is too expensive for me. I just want to keep the leaves, dirt and water out when it's parked. Mills doesn't recommend trailering with their cover either. So its lacking in that respect despite a premium price. I'm sure it's a great, well made piece.

Mid range covers like Carver / TaylorMade are in the $500-600 range, but not Sunbrella, it's a knock off material. I have a Carver Bimini that's good
quality, but again not Sunbrella...its Sundura. What ever that is?

Then there's Sealskin, Empire, National that are in the $300 range. Without positive feedback I'd be reluctant to try them. 10 year warranty on Sealskin tho'.

PhilD
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/23 - 4:38 AM

I bought a cover from Covers Direct -- earlier this year -- for my 130 super sport. It's Sun-DURA, the cheaper of the two options. I paid $350 for it.

I have to say the fit is perfect and it's a great cover. This is a boat that spends some time in the slip, and some time on the trailer.

I've trailered the boat at up to 75 mph with the cover on and it was fine.

The only thing I found a little misleading ... and maybe my bad .... was the fitment around the engine. The one I bought came with an outboard cover that fits over the cowling. The aft part of the cover completely covers the two swim platforms on the latest 130, but then it leaves an opening over the splashwell. From the pics it looked like the engine cover was attached but that's not the case. So when it rains, all the water still makes its way down the cover and into the draing plug, which I leave out. So you do get a tiny bit of pine needles, leaves etc in the back of the boat. Long story short, it would have been ideal if the motor cover was attached so I could get the entire cockpit covered. Then again, this way you can store it with the outboard trimmed all the way up if you want.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 3:27 PM
Users Online
Welcome
andresj
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,043
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,223,661 unique visits