View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1970 Nauset 16' - various questions
DBerg
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/23 - 12:18 PM

Comments: 0

This post will be longer and include other topics, but is a continuation from my question about the stern seating for the 1961 to 197# 16 foot models

SEATING
The boat I have was produced in 02/1970 and was a Nauset Sport. Does anybody know what if any meaning the Sport has? Wondering about seating configuration specifically. Could a Nauset Sport come with a Reversible Pilot Seat (RPS)?

The four original configurations were the Nauset, Eastport, Sakonnet and Currituck. From my reading on the matter, first three listed were center consoles (Currituck had the side console with midline steering). Most of the photos I see show the Nauset and Eastport with fixed pilot seats, and the Sakonnet with the RPS. My boat was restored by the previous owner and he installed an RPS on my Nauset. Would that be an option that you could have gotten on one from factory?

I really like the stern thwart bench that I see on the pictures of the Eastport. Is that an option someone could have gotten on a Nauset, or was the stern bench reserved for the other models?

ACCESORIES
Was there an external horn option for the early Nausets or were most installed after they left the factory? I see some picture with a dual chrome horn and like that. Just wondering what would be period correct as I complete the restoration.

What did the original compass look like? Does anyone have a picture of a verifiably original compass OR a link to where I could purchase one that is original looking?

I see some boats with the side view mirrors. I get the function, but were those original or just add-ons by the owners?

COLOR of knob(s)
Was the original throttle control knob RED or BLACK? I assume that the original throttle control was a single control and that trim was a separate controller. As I am right now planning the repower, I would like to have the controls be similar if not identical to the way it would have come from factory.

Obviously trying to keep the boat as close to original as possible (excepting the motor) and I have found lots of different pictures and such that confuse me. Wanting to respect the history of the Whalers as I complete the restoration of my little Nauset.

Edited by DBerg on 08/09/23 - 12:22 PM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/23 - 2:51 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

1. Nauset 16
No such thing as a Nauset Sport
https://www.whalercentral.com/userpho...lbum_id=17

2. The RPS was an option for the Nauset and Eastport

3. Ritchie Explorer Compass was optional
https://www.whalercentral.com/photoga...hoto_id=36

See more original parts in our OEM Part section:
https://www.whalercentral.com/viewpag...page_id=69

Joe Kriz attached the following image:

[51.26Kb]

DBerg
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/23 - 7:09 PM

Comments: 0

Joe,
Thanks for the feedback...really appreciate it!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 5:23 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Fman594
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,064
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,334,998 unique visits