View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Swimming Gunwale Hook Ladder 1986 15ft Super Sport
JohnRowlette
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/23 - 9:54 PM

Comments: 0

I just picked up a 1986 15ft Super Sport. I have read Whaler Central post and numerous others about adding a mounted swim (platform/ladder) While Martin Marine has a good one, I would rather not put it on for numerous reasons. Instead, I would like to go with a Gunwale Hook Ladder. I'll start by saying my boat came with one but it's not the correct size.

My goal is to go UNDER the stainless steel rail. It looks like Garelick does not make them anymore. At least not this type. There are many made by GIF as all they make is ladders.

Does anyone know exactly what size ladder works best? How about a good manufactured ladder name? I'd like to use JIF as it appears to be a quality ladder. If I have to add another two legs, I'll figure it out and add them. If I have to bend the hook a little, I'll try and do that.

The disadvantage with our style boat is that there is not much gunwale. But we sure do love our whalers and the low gunwale profile. So, it's a very small problem to have in the grand scheme.

Thanks much,

John Rowlette

Edited by JohnRowlette on 07/10/23 - 9:56 PM

802whaler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/23 - 6:46 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 1982 15' Sport, and recently purchased a JIF Telescoping Gunwale Hook Ladder - 3 Steps (AMRJ-EPV3). I like how it folds up in a small package and sits unobtrusively in the stern area when not in use. It opens and closes easily and is sturdy. The trick is finding the right spot to hook the ladder because, as you point out, the gunwale is pretty small and the placement of the standing arms on the ladder are a bit awkwardly low for our boats. The best spot I've found is one hook under the side rail and the other hook on the stern side of the rail. The standing arms are just at the bottom edge of the largest part of the gunwale. So it works, though fair to say, just barely. My kids can get on and off with little effort. I found it wasn't too hard for this 50-something year old body too.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 12:46 PM
Users Online
Welcome
andresj@bellsouth
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,043
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,221,396 unique visits