View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Chestnut Hill Boat Co. Squall Circa 1964
JediRaven
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/23 - 12:00 AM

Comments: 0

Dear Whalers. I started helping a friend with what appears to be (as I can tell from an ancient post on this very forum) a circa 1964 nine foot Squall from Chestnut Hill Boat Company. I helped my friend remove all the old water logged foam but he is getting married soon and had to turn the project over to me. Basically the boat is just a fractured shell of its old past. Everything will be rebuilt from scratch. Its too late to restore the boat back to its original authentic glory but it will be brought back to life nonetheless as best as I can. She will have an electric outboard installed and some lights but will retain the original shape and hull design. The post hole for the mast will be retained but the tiller and centerboard will have to be created from scratch next year as I have my hands full already with fiberglass work, sanding, and painting. Heck, the boat has not been registered in 50 years if ever and so that alone will be a chore.

If anyone knows where I can get pics, manual, info about this vessel that would be great? Otherwise, I am going to have to rely on information about the 1965 and beyond Whaler Squall since it is essentially the same design with some slight differences. One difference is that the Chestnut Hill version has a raised section of the stern with false planks molded into the fiberglass. The other difference is that the Chestnut Hill version does not have the retractable centerboard handle. Instead it uses a drop down removable centerboard which I actually would prefer. Other than that, I think it came from the same mold so most pictures of the 1965 and beyond Squall should suffice.

I will try to post a pic of the gutted vessel as well as an old advertisement I found in Popular mechanics 1964. I am a brand new member and can't actually even figure out how to post a pic. Maybe it is disabled because I am so new?

Much appreciated - JT

Edited by JediRaven on 06/26/23 - 12:04 AM

Weatherly
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/23 - 9:04 AM

Comments: 4

The Squall manufactured by the Chestnut Hill Boat Company, 208 Canton Street, Stoughton, MA., was originally a design drawn a long time ago by Howard J. Chapelle. The Squall is not an original Boston Whaler design. In the early 1960's Boston Whaler Fisher Pierce Company founder Dick Fisher applied for and held a patent for the foam core manufacturing process. Circa 1964, the Chestnut Hill Squall was challenged in court as a FP patent infringement. FP/BW won the legal case and gained custody of the Squall mold for what was later called the Boston Whaler Squall 9 foot sail-row-outboard dory. I retain a digital copy of the 47 page rigging instructions for the Squall 9 footer. I also have a digital copy of the 1965 Fisher Pierce ad for the Squall. Boston Whaler started production of the Squall in February 1965.

Here is a link to a digital copy of the Chestnut Hill Boat Company's ad for the Squall.
https://www.amazon.com/Chestnut-Unsin...B077NGYPRQ

Edited by Weatherly on 06/26/23 - 9:39 AM

JediRaven
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/23 - 9:49 PM

Weatherly. Thanks for that. How do I get my hands on the blueprints, catalogue, digital files?

Also it looks like I now have been granted the ability to post photos. I attach a picture of the carved out and gutted skeleton of the vessel as she now stands. It will be a fun project. I will try to post a few more pics as I move along the process. Any pointers are welcome. I do understand that it would be easier (and possibly less expensive) to just purchase another used dinghy but whats the fun in that. "Thunder Child" as she was once named, wants to sail again.

JediRaven attached the following image:

[191.72Kb]
Edited by JediRaven on 06/26/23 - 10:14 PM
JT

Weatherly
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/28/23 - 4:34 AM

Comments: 4

You can download a digital copy of the Squall Parts and Rigging Instructions from the Downloads section of the website.

JediRaven
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/23 - 1:21 PM

Awesome. Thank you. I will post pics of the build if interested.

JT

JediRaven
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/23 - 10:01 PM

The center keel tower was rotted and collapsed. Had to gut that as well. But all the foam is now scraped out, I have vacuumed and acetone cleaned the entire boat and started on the fiberglass work.

JediRaven attached the following image:

[130.16Kb]
Edited by JediRaven on 07/10/23 - 10:11 PM
JT

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 11:39 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Fman594
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,064
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,340,377 unique visits