View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk 150 drill and tap to mount new cleats?
Jcrgus
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/23 - 8:26 PM

Comments: 0

My 2021 has stern cleats (on the gunnels behind the console) and a single bow cleat but no cleats on the gunnels forward of the console. I want to add a pair forward. The boat has factory installed upper forward and lower forward rails. I have not yet done all the measurements but presume the rails are screwed to the phenolic reinforcements indicated on the reinforcement diagram supplied in the manual. The Montuk150 reinforcements are only two types, plywood or phenolic.

The manual lists the load characteristics of:
plywood (light equipment weight) attach with self-tapping screws
phenolic (heavy equipment weight) attach by drilling and tapping, this would be my preference for mounting

Proper machine screw mounting requires drilling with a Number drill and then tapping (#7 drill for 1/4 -20 tap).
My question is: since the holes are blind I wonder if I would need a bottom tap to develop threads all the way to the bottom of the holes or will I encounter the internal foam core and the tapping can be done using a regular tap and penetrating into the core?

The manual lists the thickness of the reinforcements, 1/2 inch plywood and 3/8 inch phenolic. No drill depths are given so I propose to estimate the fiberglass and gel coat thickness is 1/8 inch so I must add this to the thickness go get the proper hole depth. Does this seem right?

Finally, if I have to use the plywood reinforcements how strong will the cleats be? I ordered two open base stainless 8 inch cleats, Hershoff style that closely match the style and size of the factory installed cleats.

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas or guidance.

Jim

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/23 - 9:56 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Don't over think it.

You do not need a bottom tap.

Yes, add 5/8 or 1/2" to the thickness of the cleat.

Remember to add a dab of marine sealant (does not have "Adhesive" anywhere on the label) on the shaft of the screw before inserting.

Edited by Phil T on 06/26/23 - 9:57 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Jcrgus
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/27/23 - 6:28 AM

Comments: 0

OK, Thanks Phil.

That is all the thinking I will do and will use a proper sealant not an adhesive on the screws and the bedding.

There are two issues that hound me here. 1-I try to avoid ever drilling into a boat and 2 I don't want anything I attach to ever come off unless I want to remove it. Cleats can experience major forces when unexpected events occur so I worry about that.

In thinking about failure though as long as the pull on the cleat is horizontal it should be able withstand large loads which would tend to "tip it over" rather than pull it up.

Jim

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 2:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,485,117 unique visits