View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Swim platform working as trim tab
murleyjohn
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/23 - 4:54 AM

Comments: 0

Hello,

We have a 1987 Montauk 17 with 2006 E-TEC 90hp. On the port transom exterior is a wooden swim platform. She will plane fine at 3000 RPM and hold level, cruising just over 20 knots. Increasing power to WOT, she will begin to lean toward port, maybe 10 degrees and hold there.

- Two group 24 batteries centered in the console.
- 22 gallon Moeller fuel tank under the pilot seat.

I have ranged the engine trim tab its entire sweep, this only effects difficulty of steering one direction vs the other.

Yesterday, I considered that maybe the swim platform is working like a static trim tab.

3000 RPM and 20 knots really seems to be the ideal cruising speed for this boat in anything besides flat water, but the E-TEC service manual states the best thing you can do to keep the engine clean internally is to run it at WOT, so I try for at least some of that.

What are your thoughts about this?

My wife likes the swim platform for easy access, I worry about gumming up costly fuel injectors that are becoming harder to find. The E-TEC is such an engineering marvel, I’d like to enjoy it for a while before we’re forced into become 4 stroke people for the rest of our life.

butchdavis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/23 - 7:04 AM

The swim platform should be mounted above the static waterline and should never contact the water while underway. Have you observed the platform acting as a sort of trim tab?

murleyjohn
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/23 - 1:34 PM

The platform is a few inches above the water while on the hook. I haven’t had the opportunity to visualize it while underway, wife is only comfortable motoring along, not driving on plane,

butchdavis
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/23 - 6:38 AM

You won't be able to absolutely discount the theory that the platform is acting as a static trim tab without observing it. However, if the platform was immersed while underway it would likely exhibit a "rooster tail" behind and to the [port side of the boat.

I have over 45 years of boating experience and have not seen a swim platform act like a trim tab. I doubt you are on the right track. Perhaps you can find a way to change the weight distribution on your Montauk.

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/23 - 5:20 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

The hull lean is possibly due to the engine being installed too low.

When looking at the engine mounting bolts, how many empty bolt holes are above the top bolt?

If the answer is 1 or 0 then the motor should be raised so there are 2 empty holes.

Also -

Above the prop is the trim annode. The postion of this is critical.

If standing right behind the engine looking straight down, imagine a clock face where ahead is 12 o'clock and straight back is 6 o'clock. The tab should be pointing at 5:30.

Edited by Phil T on 06/14/23 - 5:23 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

murleyjohn
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/23 - 7:18 AM

Butch,

I have rigged a GoPro to the anchor light and will be able to capture video of the transom while in flight next time she's in the water. I would recall any sort of rooster tailing, and I don't. We didn't have this problem last summer though, so it's likely something I did.

I just replaced the entire electrical system and made new instrument panels. I had the console up from the floor and replaced the plastic angle channel with aluminum so the plywood floor would be secured instead of flopping around. In reconstruction, I put every effort into balancing things from centerline. The only weight anomaly would be the power pole and its motor/reservoir, which are both on the starboard side.

Phil,

There are 2 unused holes above the upper transom clamp bolts. I just had the gearcase off for water pump and replaced both of its anodes, and the trim tab. The old tab was in the position you reference, and I installed the new tab in the same position. It registers at maybe a 3.25 on the 0-6 index scale cast on the tab, when aligned with the corresponding mark on the under side of the cavitation plate. In troubleshooting, I ranged the trim tab from 0-6 and back, one step at a time, and the only variation was steering becomes harder in one direction versus the other. My assumption, is that the trim tab makes lift, just like a wing or sail.

I'll be back with more info toward the end of this week, it looks like some nice weather might finally show up!

-JM

murleyjohn
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/23/23 - 4:01 AM

I am happy to report that I ruined that nicely forecast weekend by talking about it too soon. Enjoy the next week of rain everyone, apologies!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 3:39 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,485,594 unique visits