View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Need help with the decision on the generator
Tahk
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/14/22 - 3:38 PM

Comments: 0

Hello,
I am an owner of the 345 Conquest 2018. The boat has the Kohler gas generator 7.5 EKD. The generator overheated recently quite severely. I have had problems with it before but mostly just eating up the impellers. Is this generator reliable? Anyone else had similar problems? If I decide to replace it what unit would I replace it with (sounds like Kohler doesn't make gas generators any more)?
Any advice is appreciated.

315Fred
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/23 - 2:42 PM

Comments: 0

My response is a few months old. Having the same model generator in a 2016 315Q, I can share:
I am told that Kohler no longer makes gas generators. Kohler is NOT supporting the generators. Parts are hard to come by.
My generator threw codes 1000, 42 and 46. It would run for 5-15 minutes then shut off throwing one of the codes.
Marine Max mechanic was no help, and cost me a new heat exchanger due to a busted end cap.
Finally came up with Kohler dealer/service company 65 miles away who diagnosed the problem as a bad controller. (read a little over $3,200 to install, this on top of the $2,600 spent with MM, which included a new sensor switch and about $1k for service, oil, filters, etc). Installation of controller is scheduled for 4/17).
WHAT OTHERS SHOULD KNOW:
My generator was still under warrantee period and hours with Brunswick when the problem was reported to MM, a Boston Whaler dealer. For Brunswick to honor the warrantee the invoice for the repair needs to be submitted to them within 30 days of the reported problem. My warrantee expired during the diagnosis phase of our problem.
If you are reporting a problem on a Brunswick product, be sure your dealer/mechanic understands the paperwork requirements!
I will give credit to the GM at MM Lewisville, TX for getting Brunswick to fund $2k of the overall repair and to date has taken about $600 of the MM bill
Given the lack of us of the boat's generator and the hassle with finding parts and mechanics, I would honestly now have replaced the generator. Phasor? Panda (with new plumbing)?
Good Luck with whatever you have decided to do.
(Now, where can bitch about the cabin upholstery delaminating?)

Edited by 315Fred on 04/11/23 - 2:47 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 5:05 PM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,113,841 unique visits