View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Engine warning horn continues to sound after start
JBL
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/22 - 12:48 PM

Comments: 0

New to the forum and boat ownership. Bought a well-maintained one-owner 1998 Ventura 18' with original 135HP Mercury XL last season. Engine ran great. Had the local Mercury dealer winterize the boat at the end of last season. I first noticed the problem after launching the boat this May. When I crank the engine from cold, the warning horn sounds the normal intermittent short beeps and the engine starts. All the gauges are operable, but the beeping won’t stop until I slightly back off the key, which kills the fuel and volt gauges (but the tach and temp gauges still work). The remote oil tank and engine mounted oil reservoir tank are both full and functioning normally and there is a steady stream of water coming out of the water pump indicator hole. Researched the issue on the forum but found nothing exactly like my problem. Traced wires, checked fuses, etc. without success. Even replaced the ignition switch with a new Mercury OEM switch hoping that would solve the issue. Can still use the boat but have to keep an eye on the fuel. I want to correct the problem but am frustrated and open to any suggestions. Wasn’t sure if I should post to this forum or the ‘engines’ forum due to possible involvement of the rigging but I’ll start here. Thanks in advance.

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/22 - 10:27 PM

Comments: 16

Chances are about 9 out of 10 that your engine's "warning module assembly" (a "black box") is failing. This is a fairly common problem on 2 stroke V-6 Mercs.

It is fairly easy to replace. Has 6 or 8 wires to connect. Just be methodical and you can do it. All wires are color coded.

See item #3 in this link at Crowleymarine.com. You want Mercury part #41470A26, about $350. You may be able to find one on E-bay.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury...mdl=OWK645

I just replaced one on my 200 HP V-6 Merc.

JBL
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/29/22 - 8:10 PM

Thanks for the great information. That seems to be the problem. With your lead, I did some investigation using a troubleshooting chart I stumbled across in the service manual. It said to disconnect the overheat sensor and turn ignition key to “ON” position. If the horn still sounds, then the warning module is faulty. If horn does not sound, then engine overheat sensor is faulty. The horn kept sounding. Did all other tests called for in the chart and they came back negative.

Took your suggestion and found a Mercury aftermarket sensor on eBay for $159:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293964709835...R-iSicvdYA

Have you, or anybody else on the forum, ever heard of Arieltec and/or used their products?  On my engine, the module was stamped with part #41470A23 but that part doesn't show up anywhere (see attached photo), although the part you quoted (#41470A26) looked identical. Also the wire colors on the Arieltec aftermarket don't exactly look the same and I don't see the tan with blue stripe wire. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Again, many thanks for helping with my issue.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/22 - 12:03 AM

It sounds like you may have found the problem, but I am not aware of the brand you mention. The very low price generally indicates it is a foreign knock-off part, so be careful. I generally try to find current or left over Mercury/Quicksilver parts when possible (many parts are already discontinued). I have also found CDI Electronics or Sierra to be reliable aftermarket ignition system parts, generally 30 to 50% less than Mercury.

For the cost saving you might give the aftermarket part a try. Since this is not a component likely to result in engine failure on the water, (as long as you keep an eye on engine temp and oil supply) it's not that critical. If it fails quickly, and the horn starts going off at odd times, you can always upgrade to the Mercury part.

Edited by Finnegan on 08/30/22 - 12:15 AM

JBL
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/22 - 8:37 AM

Sounds good. I'll order the part and see what happens. Will report back when installed. Thanks.

JBL
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/22 - 9:10 AM

Wanted to report back on this issue. After experiencing a shipping delay, I finally received the module and installed it. No change. Alarm still sounding intermittently after engine start-up. So I'm back to square one. I think I've ruled out an electrical issue and am now back to thinking it may be a mechanical issue, such as with the oil injection pump. Any ideas on how to test for that? Frustrating to say the least.

Finnegan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/22 - 3:42 PM

Sorry to hear about that. Since the horn is sounding the intermitant beeps, that represents the oil injection system, which has two sensors sending signals to the warning module.

One is the Low Oil Sensor in the cap of the engine mounted oil tank. The other is the Motion Sensor on the oil injection pump, to make sure it is rotating.

If everything in the oil system is function properly, one of those two sensors must be defective.

Thee is also a powerhead overheat sensor, (brown wire) but that makes a continuous sound, not a beep. So not likely to be the problem.

Last possible cause according to the service manual is a faulty engine ignition system, which means an incorrect voltage pulse is being sent to the warning module. This is the green wire. A bad coil would cause this.

You may have to go to Merc shop to get this fixed.

JBL
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/22 - 8:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it, I suspect it is the oil injection pump. Have only taken the boat out a couple times since the problem surfaced but enough to have expected some consumption of oil. I have closely monitored the oil level in remote and engine mounted tanks and there has no appreciable change in the oil level in the tanks. How do I check the oil injection pump itself or whatever actuates it inside the engine to confirm?

Finnegan
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/22 - 8:38 PM

If you may have an oil injection issue, I would not run the engine without adding a 50 to 1 ratio of oil to the gas.

You may need professional service to diagnose and repair this type of problem.

msteinkampf
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/22 - 1:43 AM

I had this same problem with my 1990 Mercury 90 HP outboard. My oil tank under the engine cowl has a sensor that detects when the oil level is low. If that sensor malfunctions, you get the intermittent beeping despite plenty of oil in the tank. Look for a wire that originates at the bottom of the tank. If the beeping stops when you disconnect the wire, you have confirmed it’s a bad sensor.

As I recall, the sensor is a float that contains a magnet, and it’s not accessible to maintenance. The problem resolved when I replaced the oil tank.

Michael

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 5:30 AM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,124,924 unique visits