View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Short on motor start
Bhaler Sport
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/02/22 - 5:19 PM

Comments: 0

Hello!

I inherited a 1998 BW Sport, "Limited Edition" 13.4 from my brother. It has a Mercury 40, and it's been sitting for years with a dead battery.

Today I hooked up a new battery. Hydraulics work, dash lights work (but not the bow port/starboard light). The one fuse I could find looks good.

Then, I attempted to start the motor. A quarter second later and some sparks from the positive battery terminal, and the battery is dead. It's on the 'Tender now to see if I can save it.

Anyway, before I start pulling out the wire harness (And likely making a new one), where is a good place to start? I'm thinking there might be an issue with the motor ground wire. It should be noted the boat has only ever seen the Atlantic Ocean, so it's very possible there's corrosion I can't see causing an issue. Also, the boat did run before it was last stored.

Thanks for your help ... I've never had a boat before, but I'm handy enough with cars I can "probably" fix it. Shmaybe. :)

Bhaler Sport
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/22 - 12:24 PM

Comments: 0

Hi Folks!

Here's an update. Hopefully it's helpful.

I was able to start the motor. Turns out it was a "rookie" mistake on my part. The positive battery leads were all corroded, causing a short. I cleaned them thoroughly, removing all the corrosion, and replaced the old wingnuts with regular nuts and washers.

She turned over just fine.

Thanks! I'll be coming back more frequently now the boat is running. :)

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 3:10 PM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,112,028 unique visits