View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
My New Menemsha
menemshaman
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/11/21 - 6:15 PM

Comments: 0

Hello:

I am a new member of the Boston Whaler family. I am the proud owner of a Menemsha. She is rough looking but has a solid hull and a good engine. I began removing a couple of layers of pealing paint and will be replacing the woodwork over the long cold and dark Massachusetts winter. She is missing the windshield. I will probably make a replacement as I think finding an original might be impossible. I am interested in any advice as I begin this project. I plan on installing a bimini and would like to have a canvas enclosure sewn also. My research tells me that a "Navy" cover was an option. I( would like to have something similar, but with more headroom aft. Any advice or leads are greatly appreciated. I am very, very excited about adventuring in this great little boat.

menemshaman attached the following image:

[120.93Kb]

dontate
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/11/21 - 7:10 PM

Congrats on the boat purchase. Great project for sure. Just remember, anything you think will take 3 hours will most-likely take 3 days. Be steady, methodical and use this site often. There are some great Whaler brains to pick along the way.

menemshaman
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/12/21 - 3:54 AM

Thanks Don!

NShoreMA
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/12/21 - 12:53 PM

Looks like Manchester harbor? Cool boat she will clean up nice.

flippa
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/12/21 - 7:27 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Nice!

Always wanted one of those. Saw that listed on Craigslist, knew it wouldn't last very long.

I keep mine over at the Salem Willows, looking forward to seeing you and the boat around.

Good luck with your project.

menemshaman
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/13/21 - 5:10 AM

NShoreMA wrote:
Looks like Manchester harbor? Cool boat she will clean up nice.

Yes Manchester Harbor.

menemshaman
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/13/21 - 5:12 AM

flippa wrote:
Nice!

Always wanted one of those. Saw that listed on Craigslist, knew it wouldn't last very long.

I keep mine over at the Salem Willows, looking forward to seeing you and the boat around.

Good luck with your project.

Funny I saw the ad on Craigslist and was intrigued. Then I went out and did some errands for a few hours and my thoughts kept going back to this boat. She talked to me. I sent in a response and the rest as they say is history. I am very excited about this boat. Take care,

Kent

Weatherly
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/13/21 - 2:31 PM

Comments: 4

I am very familiar with the Boston Whaler Menemsha 16 boat. I have an original copy of the model's owners manual and I will send you a copy.

You have a project boat for sure. Dontate's comment was spot on regarding how long it will take you to refurbish your vessel.

Your hull sits really low in the water. The first task I recommend to you is to weigh your boat. As a reference, the Menemsha hull sans outboard should weigh @ 1300 lbs.

The outboard motor is not installed properly. The nut bolts are fastened only to the upper outboard motor bracket. The outboard is also mounted too low. You can read many of the threads on this site about properly fastening and mounting height for an outboard motor on the 16 hull.

The control cables also appear to be too short. When you turn the wheel all the way to starboard, the short length of the cables may prevent you from making a full starboard turn.

It is possible to remove all of the paint applied to the gelcoat surfaces. It will take you a very long time. I removed paint successfully from the cockpit of a 16 hull. The results were very good. I found there was no substitute or short cut in removing the paint, other than using 220 grit wet sandpaper by hand and lots of water in a bucket mixed with a small amount dawn ultra, to lube the process.

The cabin has mold on the superstructure so a diluted bleach product should be used to abate that organism.

I see the two original trademark decals are present. You can lightly wet sand the decals to reveal a nice red original color. Keeping the decals original enhances value of your vessel.

The original bollard is missing. So is the red/green navigation bow light. A light was installed atop the cabin.

I also have the original Mills Canvas instruction sheet for the canvas set that was offered on the Menemsha. The original color of the canvas was tan, now called toast sunbrella offered by Mills. I can send you a copy of that document too.

MG56
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/21 - 1:05 AM
Personal Page

Weatherly, why do you think the boat sits too low? It looks fine in the picture.

The scum line could just be from the plugs being in and it filled up with water.

Weatherly
#10 Print Post
Posted on 10/14/21 - 5:44 AM

Comments: 4

MG56: I evaluated the boat for another prospective buyer. Specifically, the bow eyelet is at the waterline. Normally on a 16 blue hull, the bow eyelet should be 3-4 inches above the waterline. My assessment is the hull is a heavy one.

menemshaman
#11 Print Post
Posted on 10/16/21 - 1:56 AM

Hi Weatherly:
Thank you for your informative post and the offer for copies of the Menemsha information you have. I certainly welcome all information and advice. I have begun removing the paint and realize it will take time. I am using a gel coat safe chemical to remove what I can and then I will take your advice about sanding. I bought a new detail sander yesterday to aid me. I received a replacement bollard yesterday also and last week purchased an original stem fitting with the nifty navigation lights and chock combination. This is a boat I plan on using and keeping for a long time so a substantial investment of time and effort does not deter me. I am debating on replacing the motor. If I decide to keep it I will have an expert check out the motor mounting and cables.

Once again thank you for your advice. If you need anything from me in order to facilitate the sending of the model's owner's manual and Mills Canvas Instruction Sheet, please let me know.

Regards,
Kent

guitarfish
#12 Print Post
Posted on 10/17/21 - 7:42 PM

Congrats on the new baby. They are truly a labor of love. My progress got interrupted by a break up and subsequent move.

But soon as they say.....

Keep us up to date please.

1971 Menemsha 16 and 1978 15' Custom

menemshaman
#13 Print Post
Posted on 10/17/21 - 11:21 PM

Hi Guitarfish:

Thanks for the encouragement! Yesterday I fitted a temporary cover. I am continuing to chemically strip the old paint and also have begun sanding down the topsides. I have purchased a new, correct stem fitting and bollard. Yesterday I sent out 4 emails to metal fabricators to see if I can get a replacement windshield frame built. This is a labor of Love for sure, and I would have it no other way. Given the scarcity of used parts for this boat I am not attempting to restore her. Rather I my intent is to refit her to a much better condition. I will also be doing some minor customizing to make her more useful for my intended purpose.

Regards and best wishes,
Kent

menemshaman
#14 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/21 - 3:36 PM

I am planning on putting up a temporary structure to protect my Menemsha this winter and allow me to work on her. Before I did this I took her to a certified vehicle weigh scale. I emptied her of everything I could easily remove, and after subtracting the weight of the outboard and batteries she weighed in at 1,370 pounds plus or minus 20 pounds. I don't know if the hull weight of 1,300 pounds includes the center console, settees and head. I also noticed that she rode higher at the bow after I removed the anchor and about 60 or so pounds of accessories from the cuddy.

Regards,
Kent

flippa
#15 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/21 - 6:03 AM
Personal Page

Hey Kent

Good to hear that she is fairly close to being in spec.

I wouldn't get too worked up over a whaler being a bit heavy. My 1978 Outrage 21 was full of penetrations when I bought her and imagine was significantly overweight. Even waterlogged she still rode fine.

Looking forward to seeing updates on the project.

menemshaman
#16 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/21 - 6:13 AM

Thanks for the encouragement flippa! I will put her back in her winter home today and get her covered. The next step is to remove all the hardware and then start sanding. I will post some before and after pictures as the project advances.

Regards,

Kent

menemshaman
#17 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/21 - 11:43 AM

Well Weatherly was right. I definitely have a project. Since the chemical paint stripping I have been planning, stockpiling supplies and buying tools. I bought a detail sander for tight spots and a bunch of sanding sheets for both the detail sander and my random orbit sander. I bought a thickness planer so I can mill my own lumber for the woodwork that is missing or needs to be replaced. As an amateur woodworker for many years, I don't like working with plywood. I have a good selection of white oak and native cherry that I am planning to use. Wherever possible I plan on installing the woodwork with an eye for easy (relatively?) removal so I can preserve it properly. I am still unsure of what I want to do when rebuilding the helm console and windshield. I am leaning towards a white oak windshield frame with aluminum surrounded safety glass mounted via hinges to the frame. I would like to have the ability to open the wind shield panes like the original set up.

Today I removed all the hardware and rub rail from the port side and started sanding. I will need a lower grit sandpaper to start so I didn't get far. I have done extensive work on my 1969 Westerly Nomad sailboat that is known to be a heavily built boat. This Whaler seems much more robustly built. I am impressed and inspired to give her my best efforts.

Regards,

Kent

guitarfish
#18 Print Post
Posted on 12/26/21 - 7:37 AM

Kent, how is the Menemsha coming?

1971 Menemsha 16 and 1978 15' Custom

boatgeek77
#19 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/23 - 3:00 PM

Weatherly wrote:
I am very familiar with the Boston Whaler Menemsha 16 boat. I have an original copy of the model's owners manual and I will send you a copy.

You have a project boat for sure. Dontate's comment was spot on regarding how long it will take you to refurbish your vessel.

Your hull sits really low in the water. The first task I recommend to you is to weigh your boat. As a reference, the Menemsha hull sans outboard should weigh @ 1300 lbs.

The outboard motor is not installed properly. The nut bolts are fastened only to the upper outboard motor bracket. The outboard is also mounted too low. You can read many of the threads on this site about properly fastening and mounting height for an outboard motor on the 16 hull.

The control cables also appear to be too short. When you turn the wheel all the way to starboard, the short length of the cables may prevent you from making a full starboard turn.

It is possible to remove all of the paint applied to the gelcoat surfaces. It will take you a very long time. I removed paint successfully from the cockpit of a 16 hull. The results were very good. I found there was no substitute or short cut in removing the paint, other than using 220 grit wet sandpaper by hand and lots of water in a bucket mixed with a small amount dawn ultra, to lube the process.

The cabin has mold on the superstructure so a diluted bleach product should be used to abate that organism.

I see the two original trademark decals are present. You can lightly wet sand the decals to reveal a nice red original color. Keeping the decals original enhances value of your vessel.

The original bollard is missing. So is the red/green navigation bow light. A light was installed atop the cabin.

I also have the original Mills Canvas instruction sheet for the canvas set that was offered on the Menemsha. The original color of the canvas was tan, now called toast sunbrella offered by Mills. I can send you a copy of that document too.

Would you be able to provide me with the Menemsha manual and canvas instruction as well?

boatgeek77
#20 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/23 - 7:37 PM

I am also looking for a menemsha boat manual. If someone could contact me, I would like to get a copy. Thanks all!!!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 3:53 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,103,258 unique visits