View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Battery not charging stator or rectifier?
wbswhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/21 - 7:49 PM

Comments: 0

2000 Dauntless 14’ 50 hp Mercury 2 stroke

In June my tach died.
Boat sat and wasn’t used till mid August.
At first use I noticed the voltage low on my gauge and wavering when using trim motor.
After an hour of cruising stopped for a 15 min swim call and could not restart warm engine. No cranking. Was able to start with a jump box. After putting a charge on the battery engine starts fine and batt is holding charge. It was new this spring.
Fast forward a few days. I have read through the Sierra technician manual for my motor and thought I had diagnosed as a bad stator. I was only getting a reading of 800 ohms when testing one of the yellow wires to ground. Test procedure indicated I should see on both?
I replaced the stator and am still not showing any charge heading back into the battery.
Now I think it is the rectifier. Rectifier test with meter also indicates bad. Meter is new.
If the rectifier replacement fixes things should I try to return my new stator with 2 mins of run time on it and try to put back the old one?
What is this box with two reset buttons under my console, I cannot figure it out from diagrams.
Any experience with aftermarket vs Orem rectifiers? Price varies wildly from $20 to $200!

wbswhaler attached the following image:

[73.73Kb]
Edited by wbswhaler on 09/07/21 - 8:53 PM

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/21 - 10:46 PM

Comments: 16

I am familiar with Mercs, and you are correct. the problem is the rectifier. You should have checked that before replacing stator, although the stator could have been problem. Generally, however, when it's a stator, the engine is not running well either.

When a tach dies, with engine still running well, it's almost ALWAYS a rectifier. Along with the tach, the volt gauge will not show charging with the engine underway, which should read 14.2 volts (if engine has regulated charging).

Can't help you on returning the stator. My guess is once installed, it's not resellable, hence not returnable.

I always try to source Mercury/Quicksilver branded parts, but for something like a rectifier, Sierra would be a decent aftermarket replacement.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 4:55 AM
Users Online
Welcome
TDND2013
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 21
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,049
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,266,893 unique visits