View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler Woes
PatrickInEverett
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/02/21 - 9:09 PM
Personal Page
Personal Album

Comments: 0

Just venting here... It sucks trying to buy a boat in 2021. I ordered a new 150 Montauk back in February. They were supposed to start building it on July 19 with delivery in early August. Then they pushed my build date out twice to August 16, with delivery in early September. I think they did finally start building it, but it was supposed to ship last week. I learned today that it hasn't, and it's still at the factory. I think I'm going to get it just in time to put it away for the winter. At this point they might as well take their time and wait until March.

Furthermore, the buying process has been crappy. This is not a normal buying scenario, where you have a boat to look at, test drive, and bargain over. I was naïve and didn't realize that the only time I could really negotiate was before I put my deposit down. Since doing that, I have been at their mercy. In addition to being very late, they did a couple of "involuntary upsells". First of all, the GPS I ordered was suddenly discontinued, and I had to buy the more expensive one or not at all. Then, my boat became a 2022 model that was more expensive, essentially charging me more for the privilege of waiting forever. I tried to use all this to negotiate a better price, but they are very hard nosed about it and won't budge (not surprisingly since I don't have much leverage). I feel like they kind of have me over a barrel and are just going to have their way with me.

Part of the reason I decided to go with a new boat is that 150 Montauks almost never come on the market on the west coast. Today, in my frustration I started browsing used boats again, and came across a nice looking 2007 150 Montauk - at the same dealer that's selling me the new one. It said "sale pending". It probably would have made a nice boat for me, and $14k less than new. Ugh.

Well, hopefully I'll get to enjoy it next year. Until then it can collect dust in my garage.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/21 - 6:37 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

It is the worst.

Vent away.

It really sux.

Personally I would cancel the order, get back the deposit and wait a few months.

There will be a number of new 150 Montauk owners, "covid captain's" is the new term, who realize boating is not for them.

I see that listing, that price is almost the cost of new and it is a 2007 model. Total covid pricing.

Better yet, buy a Montauk 17/170 for the same money and have more days for boating.

Edited by Phil T on 09/03/21 - 6:47 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

guitarfish
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/21 - 1:52 PM

Comments: 2

The venting applies across all marine purchases. I'm finding places selling outboards a cool $1260 more than another for the same product / installation.

1971 Menemsha 16 and 1978 15' Custom

PatrickInEverett
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/21 - 8:18 PM
Personal Page
Personal Album

Phil T wrote:

Personally I would cancel the order, get back the deposit and wait a few months.

There will be a number of new 150 Montauk owners, "covid captain's" is the new term, who realize boating is not for them.

I see that listing, that price is almost the cost of new and it is a 2007 model. Total covid pricing.

Better yet, buy a Montauk 17/170 for the same money and have more days for boating.

I'm feeling calmer about it today. I'm not inclined to bail out now after waiting this long. I'm expecting it to take at least two more years for the market to recover.

Of course a 170 would be nicer, but it's not just a matter of paying 50% more for the cost of the boat. I'd also have to buy a new vehicle to tow it with, and pay to store it away from home. My cost of ownership would nearly triple. I chose this boat because I can tow it with my little Subaru Forester and store it in my garage. It may not be the ideal boat for Puget Sound, but I can easily tow it to any number of local rivers, mountain lakes, and estuaries. I could maybe even tackle the San Juan Islands, if I trailer it over on the ferry rather than crossing Rosario Strait and hoping the weather will be good enough to get back a few days in the future. I've been an avid canoeist for many years, and wanted a boat that I could take to all the same places I take the canoe, except with enough power to easily overcome the tides and currents.

One good thing is that financing is pretty cheap now. At 4.24% it's much better to finance than to pay cash (the stock market is paying double that, so might as well leave the money there).

NWHunter20
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/12/21 - 6:47 PM

PatrickInEverett wrote:
Phil T wrote:

I'm feeling calmer about it today. I'm not inclined to bail out now after waiting this long. I'm expecting it to take at least two more years for the market to recover.

Of course a 170 would be nicer, but it's not just a matter of paying 50% more for the cost of the boat. I'd also have to buy a new vehicle to tow it with, and pay to store it away from home. My cost of ownership would nearly triple. I chose this boat because I can tow it with my little Subaru Forester and store it in my garage. It may not be the ideal boat for Puget Sound, but I can easily tow it to any number of local rivers, mountain lakes, and estuaries. I could maybe even tackle the San Juan Islands, if I trailer it over on the ferry rather than crossing Rosario Strait and hoping the weather will be good enough to get back a few days in the future. I've been an avid canoeist for many years, and wanted a boat that I could take to all the same places I take the canoe, except with enough power to easily overcome the tides and currents.

One good thing is that financing is pretty cheap now. At 4.24% it's much better to finance than to pay cash (the stock market is paying double that, so might as well leave the money there).

You might not think the 15 is deal for Puget Sound and it isn't the best for totally gnarly weather but this was our first year with a little 13 sport and we took it out in decent water and caught our share of crab and salmon. I have a 7, 3, and 1 year old and already thinking about when we'll be upgrading in a few years. This was a great boat to figure out their interest, what we want in a boat, and plan for the future. the hull has been great. You'll love the 15

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 6:16 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,146,461 unique visits