View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2019 Montauk 170 - Dead Battery
Adam Zengel
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/21 - 4:46 PM

Comments: 0

I have hung out here for awhile, posted a few things and made some comments that past year or so. Had trouble logging in, so had to change my name. I purchased new 170 in May of 2020 and haven’t had any issues. Had the boat out last Sunday, and all was fine, and then Friday afternoon, battery was nearly dead. Boat wouldn’t turn over, and couldn’t raise the engine (170hp Merc 4 stroke). I put the charger on it for about two hours, and took it out Friday night and it was fine.

I am electrically and electronically challenged (stupid) but I disconnected the negative cable, and put my volt meter on, and something is drawing power. I have a friend who is an electrical engineer with vast experience in electronics help me out here. But was wondering a few things.

So the two bilge pumps are always “live” so would they be drawing some power? My friend should be able to determine how much current is being drawn? But how much is typical?

I am charging the battery overnight, and will have it tested to see if it is the problem.

Also, when I turn the ignition to on, just prior to starting, there is about buzz that from the engine for about 5 seconds. Not sure if that is typical, as generally I turn it to on, and then to start right away. I don’t have a radio or anything that has to have the ignition in order to operate, such as a sound system or special lights.

Sorry if this isn’t much to go on, I don’t even have enough experience to ask the right questions. Give me a set of blue prints, and a piles of lumber and materials, and I could build a house easier than diagnosing electronics.

Thanks.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/21 - 5:04 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Your boat is currently under warranty.

Pre-covid I would suggest you take it to the dealer and have them test the electrical system for parasitic loss, open connections.

Given the backlog, I think you should check the pumps. They are known to cause excess draw. I personally hate the auto sensing type.

When you turn the key to on, the low and high speed fuel pumps cycle to maintain fuel pressure. Totally normal.

If you feel better, leave the negative cable off the battery after each use. I did that when I lived in Maine.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Adam Zengel
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/21 - 5:25 PM

Thank You Phil.

I did talk with my local dealer, in Hamilton Ohio, back in late April, about a few little warranty details, but didn’t want to schedule it for service at that time. I wouldn’t want to take up the mechanics time for the little things, when some other poor guy’s boat is working or safe. I always leave the main power switch on, as I store my boat in my garage and the engine down gives me a little more room to maneuver around it. I will just start turning it off.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/21 - 5:49 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Please let us know what your problem was for not knowing your prior username or password.

I have deleted Monty170 and combined it with your original username of " Adam Zengel".

Any member cannot have 2 accounts as is obviously disastrous.
Not sure about your password at this time because of our security software.
If you have problems changing your password, please let us know.
https://www.whalercentral.com/lostpas...ssword.php

Adam Zengel
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/21 - 4:38 AM

Joe - My issues with passwords and log in names is on my end. Nothing wrong with the site. Thanks.

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/21 - 12:26 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

No problem.
Glad you got it figured out.

Adam Zengel
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/21 - 4:07 AM

So, last night with my friends help, we learned that the two bilge pumps, the fuel sender and switch indicator are drawing power even though the ignition is turned off. (The wires are all labeled).

I have also noticed that the Raymarine MFD draws some power, even when it is “turned off”. I say “turned off” as it is powered down, but the light in the lower RH corner is still red. I don’t recall that always being the case, so I am wondering if it is somehow in some sort of “Stand By” mode?

I am wondering if I may have left the MFD on between my two outings, which was about 5 days, and that is what caused the drain? I’ve had the boat for over a year, and this is the first issue. I have not turned off the main switch when I am not using the boat, and there were times when it sat in the garage for weeks on end.

I have no problem turning the switch off, if that is what I have to do, but I am perplexed that it just started.

Phil T
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/21 - 5:19 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

All of what you report is typical.

Your not using the battery shut-off is not, however.

As for why this incident occurred only now, I can't say.

So as to prevent mistakes, I create a checklist/routine to use the boat and to one to put it away. I follow it closely.

Change your routine to add turning on master power when you get in the boat and turn it off when exiting the boat.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Adam Zengel
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/21 - 4:53 PM

I will start to use the master power switch going forward. Thanks for your help! Heading down to the Gulf Coast on Sunday. Hopefully Fred won’t join us.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 10:44 AM
Users Online
Welcome
oddbald
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,051
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,271,061 unique visits