View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Marina advice Boston,MA... Albany, NY
WTCwhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/21 - 2:13 PM

Comments: 0

Hello.

Foremost, I hope everyone at Whaler Central are well and weathering the storm. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for a healthy and safe 2021.

Whenever I have a large project, whether house repairs, major purchase or in this case boating, I have found enthusiast forums a good place to start and seek advice.

On 11 September 2001, it was my privilege to deploy and serve at the World Trade Center terrorist attack as part of the Federal response. It was a defining moment in my life and I have not returned since.

This September I will return to NYC for the twentieth anniversary of that tragic event and I wanted to do something meaningful.

My son and I will be piloting my 2010, 17-foot Boston Whaler Montauk 170 from Boston Harbor to the Statue of Liberty; from approximately 8A-11P we will float in the vicinity of lower Manhattan. After remembrances, we will proceed up the Hudson to Albany, NY. My goal is to cruise over 412 miles in recognition of the 412 members of the Public Safety Community that died that day.

This eight-day voyage is a significant journey for a small boat and not a matter I have taken lightly. I have been planning for the past several months and sought advice from the recreational boating industry, seasoned recreational and commercial boat operators and the United States Coast Guard.

My plans and back-up plans are solid, as are my operational and navigation skills. (professional and recreation)

Part of my planning is arranging transient docking in locations close to motel/hotels and other basic services. In the past, making arrangements for 3-4 day cruises was not that big a deal. 

However, in this case, after a long day, having a place to put the boat near accommodations and basic services is essential. I have reached out to a handful of marinas along my route inquiring about transient docking and have not heard back.

Am I trying too early in the season? 

This is where I really need help.
Can anyone offer advice or guidance on how to pre-plan and make reservations in advance at multiple sites? 

Any comment or advice you could offer is welcomed.

Thank you and take care.
Kevin Garvey

Boston (C-town)

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 9:26 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Liberty1976
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,029
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,138,932 unique visits