View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Replacement Trailer for 2005 Montauk 170
Ryan170Montauk
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/21 - 7:50 AM

Comments: 0

I'm looking for recommendations on a good replacement trailer for my 2005 Montauk 170. I purchased the boat and trailer used about three years ago and the original trailer was already pretty rusty. Now it's rusted through and about to fall apart. I considered buying a new trailer from Karavan, but they seem a bit expensive for what I'd be getting, plus I can't purchase it from them directly. I don't need anything fancy, just a basic trailer like the one that came with the boat. Thanks for the advice!

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/21 - 11:04 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Ryan

You are in trailer maker heaven in Florida.

Unfortunately, demand is through the roof so prices and wait times are high and long.

All trailers are sold through dealers. There is no buy direct.
Some dealers carry inventory but due to COVID most dont have any left and a factory order is necessary. Not a big deal, just have to wait.

Consider replacing any parts on your existing trailer rather than buying new. I can't imagine a 2005 Karavan could be in that bad shape.

You can get factory parts https://www.easternmarine.com/karavan...iler-parts

Take some photos and post them to a site, then link them to this thread (email me if you need help) and we can help advise you what needs attention.

A new trailer for your boat will run $2,000 easy and may take a month or three to get.

Visit a Karavan dealer as well as Continental dealer. Compare specs and prices.

Edited by Phil T on 03/14/21 - 11:06 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/21 - 7:55 PM

Comments: 16

I highly recommend a Continental all welded, galvanized tilt model #CV828-58B for your Montauk. This is a keel roller model for proper support of a Whaler hull, with easy launching and retrieval, and one of the few still made. It is far superior to those cheap Karavan Trailers Whaler sold under the Montauks. I use nothing but Continental trailers like this under my Whalers, one of which is 30 years old and with no rust.

http://www.continentaltrailers.com/ga...d-tilt.htm

Without brakes, it should be around $2000 or less.

If you want a wider 8' model, you can use the Keel Roller Series # EW1728VB

http://www.continentaltrailers.com/ga...roller.htm

Have the trailer ordered with a 3" x 4" tongue, 2 x 4 x 5' side bunks. You should upgrade to Stoltz 12" keel rollers on SS shafts. Adjust the trailer so that all boat weight is carried on the rollers, using the side bunks only for lateral stability.

Ryan170Montauk
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/21 - 11:19 AM

Phil T,

Thanks for the response . I previously replaced the axels, rollers, and jack. but the galvanized steel tube frame itself is heavily rusted. Unfortunately I didn't look at the underside of the trailer when I purchased the boat and didn't realize how corroded it was down there until much later. When I first noticed it there were some rust spots and a few holes that I could poke a nail through, so I attached some stainless steel flat bar on either side of the tube as a precaution. Now the bottom of the tube is completely rusted away in some spots and even with the stainless steel bars I don't trust it. I agree that a 2005 trailer shouldn't be this far gone, but who knows if this is even the original trailer or what the one previous owners did to it.

- Ryan

Ryan170Montauk
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/21 - 11:51 AM

Finnegan,

Oh! That's what a tilt trailer does. I was always curious, but never bothered to look up a video on YouTube until now. I know a couple launches where that would come in very handy! No more tailpipes in the water!

I already had my eye on the Continental trailers and now you've convinced me. Thanks for looking up the model number and including such detailed information. I plan on following your recommendations exactly.

- Ryan

petro29
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/21/21 - 7:50 AM

Before you buy, check out loadmaster trailer in Ohio. They build to order custom stuff. 5 year warranty on a galvanized trailer . I have one under my 20' outrage I couldn't be happier.

Ryan170Montauk
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/21/21 - 6:11 PM

petro29 wrote:
Before you buy, check out loadmaster trailer in Ohio. They build to order custom stuff. 5 year warranty on a galvanized trailer . I have one under my 20' outrage I couldn't be happier.

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, you've gone and muddied the water. LOL!

In all seriousness, I appreciate the suggestion. I like that the Loadmaster trailers can be totally customized before they get hot dipped. It would be awesome to have some walkways added to make reaching into the boat easier. The only problem for me would be the lead time. My current trailer is no longer safe to use and I'm stuck on shore until I replace it. I was able to find a dealer here in Florida who already had a tilt trailer ordered that's perfect for my boat and I should be able to pick it up in a couple weeks. If I had more time, I would certainly be interested in a more customized trailer from Loadmaster. I will keep them in mind the next time I need a trailer!

- Ryan

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 4, 2024 - 10:00 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Chessie237
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,047
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,254,245 unique visits