View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
What connector on 2021 trailer with brakes?
Jcrgus
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/21 - 10:13 AM

Comments: 0

This question must be so simple no where can I find an answer.

I have ordered a 2021 Montauk 150 with a trailer having electric brakes. I want to put a brake controller on my 2018 Subaru Outback. A Tow - Pro is my choice. However, nowhere can I find what connector my trailer will come with: number of connections? blade or pin? etc. Searching for these terms in the forum produces thousands of irrelevant answers. etrailer site has not helped. The Karavan site did not help.

I live in the mountains and would have to drive 150 miles to find a boat trailer with brakes. And....has the type of connector changed over the years so I must look at a relatively recent trailer?

Thanks in advance

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/21 - 12:04 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Your Whaler dealer should be able to tell you or find out given your purchase.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Jcrgus
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/21 - 2:14 PM

Yes, I agree but somehow I do not have faith in the dealer representative. I am a technical type and my sense is he, a sales type, could miss the mark. It is not a big deal, but would like to get the controller and wiring installed so when I appear at the dealer, who is quite a ways away, I will be able to connect. We have all been there......somewhat like getting a part at an auto parts store......well it should work..... (when ever I can I take the old part with me and make a direct comparison at the counter before leaving the store.)

Jim

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/21 - 4:47 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Jim -

I am a detail oriented guy (software IT PM) and it IS a big deal.

After spending over $30,000 you have every right to call the dealer and have them check. If they are not sure, tell them to call the FACTORY at 1-877-294-5645 between 8-12noon and 1-5pm and get the specs and call you back with them.

Better yet have them take a photo and send it to you.

While you have them on the phone ask, how many inches off the ground is the coupler when level? This way you can get the right drop/rise ball mount for your vehicle so you tow the trailer level.

Edited by Phil T on 03/01/21 - 4:49 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Jcrgus
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/21 - 3:57 AM

You are right.

I was anticipating a negative result. That is an OK caution but it should not set my course. A photo is a great idea as is getting the proper height for the ball.

Thanks for clearing my head on this one.

Jim

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/21 - 12:11 PM

Comments: 16

I have never heard of brakes for a 15' boat trailer, yet alone electric brakes for a 15' boat. Sounds like a total waste of money to me and bad information from a dealer.

A 150 Montauk trailer does not need brakes at all, and electric brakes are generally not recommended for boat trailers in general.

All boat trailers use hydraulic brakes, and if you are using disc style brakes, really the only workable option, a 5 wire flat plug is required for the back up light circuit, which blocks brake fluid so the brakes don't lock up when in reverse.

Jcrgus
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/21 - 3:50 PM

I plan to tow the 150 Montauk mostly on I-5 in the Seattle area. Occasional rain etc is a concern for adequate stopping.

My 2018 Subaru Outback Touring model with 3.6L engine has a gross vehicle weight of 4850 lb.

WA state requires brakes if loaded trailer weight is greater that 40 % of GVW which calculates to 1940 Lb.

A Karavan trailer suitable for the whaler is model KDB - 1500 - 71. It weighs 410 lbs.

Boston Whaler lists the 150 Montauk as 1390lb with motor and fuel. This plus trailer is 1800lb.

At this point there is a 140 lb margin. Add the fishing package (cooler and rod holders) an anchor and a spare gallon or two of fuel and the 140 lbs is mostly eaten up. So on a rain slick highway I would right at the legal limit and relying on the Subaru brakes alone.

Many Outback owners use a Tow-Pro brake controller, made in Australia, and it works well for them. It senses deceleration of vehicle and applies proportional braking and can be adjusted.....I have to rely on the experience of others here.

So, BW offers a trailer for the 150 Montauk with disc brakes. If I can afford the $30k + for the boat I can afford the peace of mind I get with disc brakes. I wonder about rinsing these after salt water immersion. They will be much easier to rinse than drum brakes with shoes would be.

Thanks for the insightful comments

Tom Hemphill
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/21 - 3:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My current and previous tow vehicles both came with factory tow packages; each utilized a 7-way round "RV style" connector. I use an inexpensive and widely available adapter to accommodate my 4-pin flat trailer plug. You should be able to do likewise for whatever plug your new trailer comes with.

I commend you for performing all the necessary weight calculations and coming up with a sensible, prudent plan.

Jcrgus
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/12/21 - 6:46 AM

Thanks for the reply. Your method of installing the RV connector and buying what ever adapter is needed is the plan I will go with. A solid reliable connector on the vehicle is important.

drewread
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/21 - 5:54 PM

Jcrgus wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Your method of installing the RV connector and buying what ever adapter is needed is the plan I will go with. A solid reliable connector on the vehicle is important.

Installing the 7-way connector is your best bet. You will easily find adapters to both the 6-pin and 4-pin configurations if they are required, and slightly less easily you will be able to find an adapter to the flat 5-pin trailer cable that may be likely if your trailer uses surge brakes.

Edited by drewread on 03/14/21 - 5:54 PM
Drew Read

gypsmjim
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/21 - 4:52 PM

Sorry to jump in late. I have 2 recent model Karavan trailers, one with brakes and the other without.

First of all, Karavans, as far as I have ever seen, use surge brakes, not electric. They are a quality boat trailer manufacturer, so that would be the logical choice. The electrical connectors a typical 5-pins, 4 pins for the lights and the fifth attached to the back-up lights. Thus, you will need a 7-pin connection on the car, and NO brake controller.

Secondly, my 150 Montauk tows so nice and stops so easy that I would chose another boat model if brakes were mandated. My TV has a 3500 pound capacity.

Your specs would indicate that you are legal as is without brakes. Naturally, we all know that with gas and fishing poles your weight will exceed the 1800 pond spec. So, as far as the police are concerned, you are good to go. Just show the cop the specs.

If it were a safety matter, that would be different.

Regardless, you already ordered it so its a done deal. Just be sure that you do the maintenance and you'll be OK.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 5:13 PM
Users Online
Welcome
davsab95
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,067
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,346,263 unique visits